Provisioning In Anand Karaj Maryada ?

N30S1NGH

Oh yes, I should've clarified. I don't believe the Singhs are under-achievers or wasters. However the aunties perception of the Singhs being good for nothings is a clearly prejudiced attitude that should not be allowed to gain legitimacy. I guess I was trying to motivate any Singhs who were thinking of "taking it easy" that if someone labels them in such an offensive way, if they are actually high-achievers (in a secular sense), they can respond with confidence!

I agree completely that Singhs should not take no nonsense from anyone who dares to

label them in an offensive way.

Forget what she said, we all know we have plenty of scum mothers like her in our community.

Fact remains, we need to uphold the Sanctity of the Anand Karaj, for the sake of our Maryadha, for the sake of our future generations who must know, if you marry a non-sikh, its anti-gurmat, and like anything which is anti-Gurmat it is not allowed to be carried-out in the Gurughars.

The Gurdwaras need to be under pressure to deliver, they are answerable to the Sangat, not only on this issue, but all issues.

There is no point typing essays on here, we need to get proactive in our local areas.

The purpose of this thread was to find a solution to the abuse of the sacred Anand Karaj Ceremony.

ONLY SOLUTION SO FAR IMPLEMENT WAS BY LUTON GURDWARA.

WHAT'S THE PRO'S? CON'S?

WHAT IMPROVEMENTS CAN BE MADE?

Procedure that was initiated by Guru Nanak Gurdwara, Luton 2008.

If couple want to marry via Anand Karaj, they must both come in around the same time as the initial booking, for one-to-one Sikhi sessions with an appointed "Anand Karaj Advisor" - REGARDLESS OF YOUR NAME, CASTE, CREED, COLOUR, MONA OR KESHDHARI.

In these bite Size Sessions the basic concepts of Sikhi are taught.

Requirements on the day, amongst others:

• Requires the groom and bride not to have any intoxicants in the body (stag night, the night before are very common)
  • Languar must be eaten at the Gurdwara before sangat leave. (sangat normally undermine the languar for the afterparty)

At the end of the sessions a declaration is required by bride and groom.

This is counter signed by the "Anand Karaj Advisor" who once is satisfied that the couple are committed to the pursuit of Sikhi, allows the marriage to be booked.

Guru Nanak Gurdwara Luton

Sri Anand Karaj Ceremony booking

• I …………………..(name) have chosen to be wedded at Guru Nanak Gurdwara, Luton via the scared Anand Karaj ceremony because I declare myself a Sikh.

• I have completed the pre wedding Sikhi Sessions

• My utmost faith is in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

I follow no other Religion nor worship any other beings.
  • I am familiar with the translations and protocol of the Anand Karaj

I will endeavour to preserve the sanctity of the Anand Karaj, as per guidelines explained to me.
  • I understand the importance of taking Amrit and becoming a Khalsa.

• If I have children in the future I will raise them as Sikhs.

• My commitment to the Pursuit of Sikhi is verified by my passport and driving licence with Singh or Kaur – as required by Akal Tatkt maryda.

Signed……………………………. Name……………………….. Date

Verified: by Gurdwara Anand Karaj booking secretary

Signed…………………………….. Name……………………….Date…………

Benefits:

• one rule for all... no bias on names, or extra allowance for being Punjabi.
  • At the same time anyone who is trying to pull the wool over your eyes, by changing his name to singh/kaur can be easily detected and refused be the advisor who has the final say.
  • The couple are taught one-to-one Sikhi - great opportunity for parchar - at critical moment in their lives
  • Prevents apneh also abusing Anand karaj. - making sure they know they are supposed to learn anand Karaj, not have intoxications in their body, eat languar etc etc.
  • Enforces Akal Thakt Maryada in a fair way
  • Gives the Anand Karaj "Value".. not given out cheaply to anyone willy-nilly.

Your thoughts?

Viable solution for all Gurdwara's?

any improvements?

great post problem is advisor is probably committee member and these people are the ones who allowed these situations in the first place!

great post problem is advisor is probably committee member and these people are the ones who allowed these situations in the first place!

Paji, this is where WE take responsibility!!.. bout time we do... nominate youth, our peers, - best thing is you wont need to sit in boring committee meetings, and you can do parchar in english.

We need to stop pointing fingers, take responsibility, be positive, make realistic targets and stick to them

most committee member's would be glad, as it will lighten their workload.

VJKKVJKF, the quote came from me. I didn't comment on the issue of the couple getting married because I genuinely felt there was a much bigger problem at hand in the Sikh community. On the one hand we are suggesting through our intervention in this case (the Swindon couple case), that we take the ceremony 'very seriously' but on the other hand are doing nothing to try to address a problem that every single one of us knows exists - that of the behaviour of the sangat and the family (and occasionally the couple) during the ceremony itself.

I have no problem in the edict that only *Sikhs* should get married in accordance with the stipulated ceremony, i.e. those adhering to the rehat etc. This is a controversial view, but it is the 'official' view of the Sikh Kaum and we shouldn't undermine it. The same view is held in other dharams as well (I am not saying they are right or wrong to hold them - sorry to continue sounding very non commital). At the same time, we should not turn away people who want that level of spirituality at this - the happiest moment of their life. in other words, should we turn them away? So a proposal that caters for them as well should be actively considered by the Sikh Kaum. Perhaps there is the equivalent of a Sikh civil ceremony like veer ji/bhen ji above proposed.

bsingh,

I am in this delimna as well. How can we strike a right balance between upholding maryada and not turning them away of other means i.e- totally put off by sikhi, or other workarounds like any joe blow renting granthi to take sri guru granth sahib halls, people house to perform anand karaj there.!!

I think one thing we can all agree is parchar, parchar, and more parchar on anand karaj and its maryada. Why wait until couples are about tying the knot? Why not incorporate chapter of anand karaj in our regular parchar such as workshops, camps, lecture session, sunday katha etc?

The video is NOT from original poster which has ALL suspect negative comments on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnLJ1yGbggA

So called shear Punjabi need a life & education

I would like to remind you, that none of our guru sahibs, had Anand Karaj Marriages and the Anand Karaj Act was passed in 1909, 200 years after the passing on of Guru Gobind Singh ji.

It can be argued therefore, that had guru Sahib, wanted us to have Anand Karaj marriages, he would have in fact introduced them. Extremist groups, trying to force their will on people, who gave you the right and the authority, (been hearing voices again, have we!)

binder3261 3 hours ago pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif

well said jasmine!

a2malhiin reply to Jasminedhaliwal13(Show the comment) 9 hours ago

About the video: Cyber bullying an aunty...oh how courageous of you

About the situation: People get married to white christians n brown hindus, etc all the time and nothing ever happens. A NIGERIAN Christian. Oh yeaaa i forgot he's black...let's just point that out because of course skin colour is soooo important...Racist hypocrites who complain when people are racist against you and yet behave the same way. These people aren't just intolerant to other faiths and races. They're intolerant to pe

Jasminedhaliwal13 10 hours ago

Yeah she said it straight up. I been to so many weddings where a none Sikh person marries a Sikh person. They happen all the time, why would these people take so much offense. Honestly this is getting way out of hand.

Chanprit 12 hours ago

good for her!!! she told them straight, whoever posted this video should be well ashamed of themselves!!

a2malhi 13 hours ago 2

It seems people have a problem that so many mixed marriages have happened before why stop this now? This argument is non sense. if manmat was accepted in the past does that means we should continue accepting Manmat? It is unfortunate that a precedent of mixed marriages was accepted long ago in the west, it should not have been tolerated from day one. Now the manmat of mixed anand karaj is so much accepted that the people trying to uphold the maryadha are seen as the villains. But it is better late than never. Just as it was previously accepted to take SGGSJ to party halls where meat and alcohol was served but now due to the vigilance of Sikhs it is not as widely accepted. Similarly Sikhs will have to get vigilant in regards to stopping the Manmat of mixed Anand Karaj in Gurdwaras. Awareness of maryadha needs to be done. I don't blame the average Punjabi for complaining either. It is actually the fault of those who know maryadha for not informing the sangat about such issues from day one.

So called shear Punjabi need a life & education

I would like to remind you, that none of our guru sahibs, had Anand Karaj Marriages and the Anand Karaj Act was passed in 1909, 200 years after the passing on of Guru Gobind Singh ji.

It can be argued therefore, that had guru Sahib, wanted us to have Anand Karaj marriages, he would have in fact introduced them. Extremist groups, trying to force their will on people, who gave you the right and the authority, (been hearing voices again, have we!)

This comment is just as uneducated and besharm as the aunty in the video. If today the Panth passes the Amrit Sanchar Act does that mean Amrit was only started today; July 3, 2012? Interent "scholars" should first ask why are they even writing anything and then ask why the Act was passed?