Sikhs Listening To Rap Music In The West

What do you guys think about Sikhs listening to rap and hip hop music?

I personally believe that this type of music has a negative influence on our youth. The songs promote too much materialism, violence, sexism and are full of foul language.

It's even ruined bhangra music here in the west. I'm not a big bhagra fan but I can't stand these UK rap bhangra songs and their videos with Ferraris and Range Rovers in them. I'd much rather listen to bhangra straight from Punjab but sadly even there it's changing with people like Honey Singh and Diljeet singing all these panga songs.

For a phase in my teens (16-17) I also listened to this type of music because I thought it was cool and 'bad' with all the swearing but by the time I turned 18 I realised that it was mostly complete soulless bakwaas that promoted a superficial life. I then started listening to rock music which has a lot more depth to it and the songs deal with a variety of issues.

A lot of Sikh youth in the west think they are black gangsters and even adopt the same type of language. It can be seen here in London where a lot of South Asian youth now talk with a fake Jamaican accent. I think it's awful and it's not going to help their employability status. Just listen to the way a youth will pronounce the letter I, it's now 'ay'. IPhone is now 'ayphone', nine is now nayne.

I don't like this 'badman', 'rudeboy' culture amongst our youth and I think this fuelled by rap music.

Maybe it appeals to them because unfortunately we Sikhs have become too materialistic?

And yes I do listen to Kirtan but I also listen to regular music.

Guest MrHSinghK

i agree with you veer ji 100 percent with ur points about rap music its the worst bakwaas ever which is destroying our sisters and brothers

Personally I hate rap, hip hop, bhangra etc but have never been a big fan of this kinda stuff. The only kind of 'music' that gives us a positive vibe/'buzz' is kirtan. We could argue that oh rap doesn't effect us in a negative way or that yoy listen to it due to the beats. But slowly the words of rap (from what iv been told) are related to anti-gurmat things, the words will spin round in your head at somepoint.

I tried this theory by listening to a few seconds of a bollywood song. Before I knew it the few words I'd heard were ringing in my head were as normally I'd have kirtan in my head. Point been only true buzz/hype your going to get in relation to music is not through rap, hip hop, bhangra etc but by listening to kirtan/katha.

Rap Music when it started was quite cool, when people were actually MC'ing, but as it has evolved, it has deffo taken a turn for the worse.

I think the same has happened to kirtan, when it is (or was) done in raags etc, it is beautiful, but now we just get kirtan which just doesnt do anything for your soul, probably because the kirtanis are using nex man's rap stylee.

Chill out bin laden. The current mainstream rap i agree is bakwaas and is all about materialism and gandh but the underground and old school rap is good!

Old school rap is good?

The rap from the 90s onwards is when it started to get really messed up with songs about killing people, hoes. It was probably worse in terms of lyrical content. The stuff before like grandmaster flash might have been ok.