I Don't Believe In Modern Feminism

Guest LAXMAN-REKHA

Guest LAXMAN-REKHA

Saat sangat ji, Satsriakal!

Mera naa Jaspaal Singh heh. Ikh savaal dah puchnaa see jo tusee sabh mere mehsoosaan nuu gayal karan toh befikar raho, aur puree imandareeh deh naal javaab doh!

I have lived in USA since 1990 and came here at age 10. Am now 32 years of age. One must at this point provide a certain delineation to explain the events that occurred.

1. I did very well in school always. However since I was basically raised in america and have never been to India since coming here, my hindi and punjabi are not quite as good as my english. Still, they are passable.

2. I am a full Indian. I survived the 1984 riots when a mob came to my house and I was a few feet away from being killed. Without going into details suffice it to say that while not erudite, my family is highly learnt and consists of many doctors. So basically we study the facts and I have studied them as well and concluded the events of 1984 were our fault. And on this point it may be futile to argue because this is my decision after thoroughly studying the facts, while someone else will have a different opinion. But I will add that I NEVER had a problem in Delhi even after 1984. To say that the hindus are an intolerant people would be a gross travesty of truth.

3. Leading on from point 2, coming here 23 years there was no internet. No connection to the world. My family settled down in a very rural state of USA. There are only still about 15 sikh males here. So in this whole state I have been surrounded by hundreds of thousands of white people.

4. I am a full Sikh. There is NO WEAKNESS. No cutting of hair ever. I try and do paat daily. I achieved very well scholastically and athletically. I try and do volunteer work if I have free time. Basically I follow the main tenets of Sikhism: Naam Japna, Kirt Karna, Vand Chaknah.

5. When I came to USA feminism's effects were extremely weak in society. It was basically a patriarchal society and in many ways like India. One would see very very few examples of female doctors and engineers, and I always felt this was GOOD. There is something in me that is extremely wary of having women given too much power. Now, my relations with my father and mother have always been excellent so looking for some psychological nuance from my past would be futile in furnishing an explanation for this. However, needless to say it will ALWAYS be a part of me and I am proud of it.

6. My final point: As I mentioned, where major points of morality are concerned, THERE IS NO WEAKNESS! I have never touched a female. I have never touched alcohol. I have never smoked. I am always careful when sitting next to the opposite s*x. I try not to curse. I have never been to immoral western parties. I have to say again unequivocally and without hesitation: THERE IS NO WEAKNESS. I follow our Indian culture strictly and Sikhism strictly as well. I have never cut my hair. I know much Sikh history. I tie the pagri even though I am the only one among hundreds of thousands here. I have never eaten halal though all the restaurants here serve it.

In view of all this, the one thing I am against is TOTALLY equal rights for women. I am like Laxman (Ram's brother in Ramayan) and Sherlock Holmes and like them, do not subscribe to the theory that a woman must have TOTALLY equal rights in everything. I believe that it leads to an erosion of values if men and women try to be like each other too much. I have seen the USA become so decadent within a decade after arriving here in 1990 as a child, that my intuition indeed seems true.

Jestrahn Laxman neh Sit nuu kaya seeh, "Eh lakir toh baar nehi padul karna"............................mehn beeh kenna keh Sikhi deh baani nuh machornaa horeya aur ehi bimaari sareh mulkh nuu barbaad karde gee. Tusee apne aap dekh sakhde ho keh Punjab vich enne jaada munde pagg nehi paande neh. Queken onaadeeyaan mummiyaan unaanuu samjaandeeahn nehi aur unaa daa kesh nuu sambhal naa nehi chaandineh.

In summary, I do think women should be allowed to vote, read bani from the Palki and participate in spiritual matters. But I don't espouse them wearing whatever they please or trying to force them to be in the army just to compete against men.

Saat sangat ji: Tusee apne vichar huun mere vicharra da javaab vich kaho.

Meh Sikh hegaan?

An interesting post. This is a topic of discussion that is gaining popularity in sociological areas. As Sikhs it is not enough for us to parrot "Sikhi is about equality" without truly comprehending what the phrase and associated nuances entail. Let's just step back and analyse what that actually means on a day-to-day basis, because if a few threads on this site are proof then that isn't necessarily completely accurate. But that's another issue.

I would say with most issues such as these it is not the fault of those who seek equality, but instead there's a few people who abuse the freedoms they are given. Some people (men AND women) do not have the mental aptitude to deal with thngs such as these. Power, freedom, etc., sometimes goes to people's heads --- they can't control it.

Feminism is evil and has nothing to do with Sikhi. True Sikh bibyan are nothing like feminists; they are humble, righteous, dutiful and devoted to their families. Whereas feminists are selfish, arrogant and care more about their careers and getting promotion then their family. This is the reason that family/community values are on the decline. Unfortunately Sikhs have hopped onto the barmy PC bandwagon and we are losing it, big time. A lot of the problems we talk about on this forum are due to feminism.

this thread and the comments cant be serious surely!

Guest LAXMAN-REKHA

kullykhalsa

Posted Today, 07:20 AM

this thread and the comments cant be serious surely!

Satsriakal. I am the original poster and this question and the post wasn't a joke. I'm not trying to even attempt being facetious. I have stated the facts and my opinions, and there is nothing flippant attempted here.

Isn't it funny how many times the original poster has used the word 'weakness'..I wonder if this tells us more about him than it does about the topic he is questioning?

I disagree with many of your points but realise people like you do exist. It's all about ego these days....

Guest LAXMAN-REKHA

Super Singhni

Isn't it funny how many times the original poster has used the word 'weakness'..I wonder if this tells us more about him than it does about the topic he is questioning?

I disagree with many of your points but realise people like you do exist. It's all about ego these days....

Satsriakal. Thank you for being honest in your reply and I ask that everyone be as honest as this person. Yes, I used "weakness" many times. My deliberate use of that word was to highlight my nature. I have ALWAYS strived to be the optimal human being and this trait is probably one of the reasons for my ability to adhere to a strict moral code. It is also one of the reasons for my success in academics and athletics.

So then the TRUE question is, can one have an ego and really be a Sikh? The answer is yes. It is impossible to do well in the world as we know it without being competitive. There are limited seats on a basketball team. There are limited seats in law school. The important thing is not whether one is driven to be better than others: THE IMPORTANT THING IS, AFTER HE SUCCEEDS, WHAT SORT OF RULER IS HE? After he is better off than others, will he give some of the fruits of his labours to others (vand chakna)?

Hopefully that answers your question.

Sat sangatji, meh twaanu basti karnaa keh shuru daa savaal teh upar saadi praytan raheh!!

Saat sangat ji, Satsriakal!

In summary, I do think women should be allowed to vote, read bani from the Palki and participate in spiritual matters. But I don't espouse them wearing whatever they please or trying to force them to be in the army just to compete against men.

There are MANY things I disagree with on you post. For example I strongly disagree with your statement about 1984. However that is not what I am going to address.

But this portion that you wrote about really struck me. You say you have learned a lot about Sikh History, well then you must have heard about Mai Bhago or Mai Bhag Kaur. I suggest you look her up on google, and realize that she was a woman who fought. And that there are several women like her.

Haha optimal ruler I have no doubt you have done well in something's but I guarantee you are nowhere near the best Sikh basketball player/lawyer/footballer but your ego has made you think you are!

I'm also 100% sure a lot of singhnia would beat you at a lot of things u think your good at! Ps your comments on 1984 show your lack of optimal research and optimal rational thinking!