Questions Before I Take Amrit

Guest -Kaur-

Guest -Kaur-

VJKK VJKF

I am almost 20 years old and i feel as though i am ready to take amrit, though i have a few questions i feel i cant ask anywhere else before doing so. Amrit Sanchar is next week, and as confident as i am, I am just as scared. I know it sounds silly, If guruji is with you, you should have nothing to be afraid about, but being a teenage girl in western society it is hard sometimes. I have gone off my path before, but i am on my way back and i feel like taking amrit is the push i need to erase my past, start fresh and to help me be the best i can be. like the first step in reaching akal purakh.

1. I know alot of amritdhari women get laser hair removal becuase once its gone they can keep thier rehat properly. Is it wrong of me to take amrit and then get laser treatments when i have to the money to do so? or should i not touch my hair at all, i know thats preferred but considering where we live it really is hard to have muchan and dhari being a girl living here. will guru ji forgive me for getting rid or reducing hair once on my face and then after completely keeping my rehat?

2. Must a woman cover her head all the time after taking amrit? I want to wear a dastar eventually, but i know i have to ease into that and do it when im ready. Do i have to cover with ramal all the time in the meantime? or is covering hair not mandatory.

3.What about relationships? I am not actually in one, but an amritdhari guy and I both have quite strong feelings and overtime continue to get to know one another, we dont want to break any rules but we also dont want to miss the opportunity, I really feel as though this is the man i will marry, but we are both just too young right now. how do we continue this without having kaami thoughts, but keep this connection strong enough without having a bf.gf relationship.

4. Are we allowed to wear makeup? I have some skin issues and ive always used makeup as a way to cover them up, am i allowed to continue this?

5. We are not allowed to wear earrings or nail polish, correct?

thank you for your help!

Ill try answer your questions to the best I can.

1) Removing any hair from your body is a no no. See it like this; you wouldn't damage a gift your parents gave you so why damage such a beautiful gift that guru je has given you? Yes its hard in todays society but stop and think about those who have lost their hair due to medical conditions; imagine how happy they would be to have hair. So the answer in short is no laser is not acceptable.

2) Yes your head must be covered at all times as God is everywhere. To eventually wear dastar why not start off with a bandanna? That's what I did then slowly keski then slowly dastar? That way your not rushing and you have time to adjust as sometimes it can be difficult as your head is not used to been covered all the time.

3) If you feel this guy is the one get your parents involved (from both sides) and get engaged. A lot of youngsters get engaged between 18-21 then marry 1-2yrs later. In short relationships are a no go area. Guru je tells us see all those who are younger than you as your siblings and those who are older (say your parents age for example) as your parents (if you get the gist).

4) As for make up personally I say no as why cover up the beauty guru je has given you? (Iv never tried make up) but as its relating to your confidence due to your skin condition maybe ask panj pyare for guidance/better advice?

5) Correct (my personal opinion) but if you search the forum on that you'll see peoples view vary on this issue.

As you have some doubts (from your questions) maybe consider talking to some older gursikhs first? Best of luck

First of all, congratulation in advance -that you are planning to take admission to the khalsa school (taking amrit). All the above questions are answered excellently by penji above. With that being said, you need to understand whole journey of being amritdhari in its totality (at the end/aim is to merge with Vahiguroo where we came from originally via meditation). Once one have understood the whole purpose behind it, doubts you have above will get dispelled just like how darkness gets dispelled by light.

Once you have taken amrit (taken admission to the school as sikh means literally student/shisya), get ready to study, its like school where one needs to move fwd different grades like for eg- attach mind with Vahiguroo by going through different stages* in spiritual development - *graduation, diploma, degree, ma, phd (at the end/aim is to merge with Vahiguroo where we came from originally via meditation). Biggest mistake one could make after taking amrit- spending its precious time in doubts over policy just accept it and move on. Have you ever seen high school student wrap its head around over policies/rules - NO!!, they accept it and they move on to the "actual study"..same thing here. You will appreciate the policies more and more (all your doubts above will be destroyed) as you are keep studying (literally transcending your intuition from superfical world/maya full of panj chor- kaam, krodh, lob, moh, ahankar to universal love/non dual(advait) Vahiguroo!!!!!!!!

Both singh and singhani are given set of questions in sri akaal ustat sahib by sri guru gobind singh ji maharaj to start searching answers of those questions (within gurbani, kathas of great saints in sikhism) and start meditating on vahiguroo while contemplating on them- self reflection and one day one will realize you found them not just superficially but experienced them too..!!

I am not even sure, despite of direct intervention of guru maharaj in sri akaal ustat sahib giving updesh that each one of us have moral and spiritual duty to search answers within by self reflection, meditate on naam ..and despite of all that its my general observation by seeing state of us amritdharis that- we still spend time in the honeymoon phase of sikhi..guess what? honeymoon phase is long gone, wake up ..its reality time, as soon one takes amrit, its admission to spiritual school which have different grades-degree,diploma, bachelors, m.a, phd .!!

In the Akal Ustat (within Dasam granth sahib) are 10 'Dohras' (Verses) from 'Ank' (Number) 201 to 210. Within these verses, Guru Gobind Singh Ji has posed a number of questions. These questions are meant to be pondered over and answered by each 'Gursikh' (searcher of spiritual truth) be they of whatever religion.

Tav Parsad [With the grace of the Almighty]

Dohra (name of verse)

Once Siri Atma [Primal Atma (self)/God] spoke to the mind.

That Who’s glory shines every where is the master of the world.

Say then, how is this glory manifested in all its varieties?'

'Akal Ustat', Dasam Guru Durbar

The mind to whom the 'Atma' (soul) is speaking to above is that of mankind. That question, which has been asked, its answer is what is understood as Naam Simran in sikhi. The questions the Guru asks here after this question, and their answers in fact, answer this above great question.

Questions-

(2) What is the form of 'Atma' (True self)?

(3) What is the thought behind creation?

(4) What is 'Dharma'?

(5) What is 'Karma'?

(6) What is creation?

(7) What is life?

(8) What is death?

(9) What is heaven?

(10) What is hell?

(11) What is cleverness?

(12) What is stupidity?

(13) What is 'Tark' (reasoning)?

(14) What is not 'Tark'?

(15) What is slander?

(16) What is praise?

(17) What is sin?

(18) What is 'Dharma'?

Some of the questions are asked twice by the Guru. Here, the Guru desires a different answer to previous answer. Each question and its answers are inter-linked to each other to produce a whole picture of Sat Guru, meaning the ideology and philosophy of Sat Guru which should appear at the end of answering all the questions.

(19) What is Yoga?

(20) What is enjoyment of worldly pleasures?

(21) What is action?

(22) What is inaction?

(23) What is hard work ?

(24) What is controlling the senses?

(25) Who is a warrior?

(26) Who is giver of charity?

(27) What is 'Tantra'?

(28) What is 'Mantra'?

(29) Who is poor?

(30) Who is a King?

(31) What is happiness?

(32) What is sadness?

(33) Who is ill?

(35) Who is affectionate?

(36) What is essence of affection?

(37) Who is satiated?

(38) Who is healthy?

(39) What is thought behind creation?

(40) What is creation?

(41) Who is defiled?

(42) What is creation?

(43) Where is action superstition?

(45) Where is superstition destroyed?

(46) Where is happiness of consciousness?

(47) Where is knowledge of that which we can not grasp with our minds?

(48) What is 'Naam'?

(50) What is self-control?

(51) What is knowledge and ignorance?

(52) Who is ill?

(53) Who is a worrier?

(54) Where is Dharma lost?

(55) Who is a warrior?

(56) Who is beautiful?

(57) What is secret of being at one with 'Sat Guru'?

(58) Who is the charitable one?

(59) Who is wise?

(60) What is knowledge?

(61) What is ignorance?

Here the questions end.

It must be noted that many of these questions can be interpreted and rephrased in a different manner, therefore one would derive at a different answer. For example, question (3) can be interpreted as:

(3) Where are thoughts of creation contemplated?

Question (7) can be thought of as asking:

Where is death?

Most of the questions can also be coupled to form one question. For example:

Question (5) and (6) can be combined to form:

What is the Karma of Dharma?

This coupling of questions alters their numbers. Hence, Sikh 'Gianis' (interpreters of scripture) tended not to give a particular number count of these questions.

Guest ASinghKhalsa

You will be taking Amrit at Guru Har Rai Sahib Gurdwara Sahib at West Bromwich right?

Okay, rehat is as simple as what PANJ PYARE bless you.

1)Simply, they will tell you that you cannot remove a single hair from your body.

Once a Singh with possibly the longest beard ever at Guru Gobind Singh Ji's darbar Sahib was called over by Guru Ji. The Singh walked towards Guru Ji and Guru Ji hugged the Singh Sahib and put him to his chest and sat him on his lap. So much satkaar for the Kes! The next day, the same Singh came to Darbar Sahib and Guru Ji told all his Singhs to beat up that Singh. They beat up the Singh badly until Guru Ji commanded stop. Then that Singh came to Guru Gobind Singh Ji and said I do not understand, one day you hug me and make me sit in your lap and the other day ou get everyone to beat me up. What happened was, the night before, the Singh went home and looked at his beautiful beard Sahib, he saw one grey hair and pulled it out. For that reason he was given such a thrashing the next day. Daas believes there is no need to explain further as anybody can understand the meaning of this occurance.

2)Panj Pyare will tell you to keep head covered may it be with a chooni, patka or a dastaar. Not a hat, ever! 10TH kING SAYS whichever Sikh wears a hat will be born with leprosy for 7 births! (read Rehatnamas). Obviously you can dry and wash your Kes. Just ask them the Guru Panj Pyare for anything as daas is not a giani.

3) Daas is saying this to you as a sister. Penji, a Gursikh should never think of Kaam. Never think of the opposite. Guru Ji even says do not dream of the opposite gender let alone go near. Think in this way, you will now take Amrit, your life will end, dead, you will be dead. then reborn as Khalsa in the house of Guru Gobind Singh Ji and Mata Sahib Kaur Ji. Your new home Sri Anandpur Sahib Sachkhand Sahib. Forget the past. Attain the gift of naam and become Brahmgiani. Find your eternal home and fall in love with the Husband Guru for he shall bless you with all. Marry the Guru.

Make-up - Panj Pyare will say only those who are not imbued and coloured with the Naam will wear make-up anda other bodily decorations. Only they will wear perfumes who have not imbedded the gragrance of Naam. One who does paath, and naam japna will need no such decorations. Infact, Guru Gobind Singh Ji says, "Surma Aadik Shangaar Nehee", meaning do not wear mascara and other make ups.

Penji, the Khalsa Kaurs are princesses, they need not wear make-up. My sisters look amazing just like my mother Mata Sahib Kaur without any make-up. Those who wear make-up only wear it to look as beautiful as the Khalsa :)

Anything else, or if you need any more advice. Just reply.

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH!

If your taking amrith at guru har rai gurdwara sahib & have more Qs or aren't satisfied with these replies go gurdwara sahib before amrithsanchar& talk to giani gurmeet singh. Hell give you in depth answers& is part of the panj pyare for guru har rai gurdwara amrithsanchars.

VJKK VJKF

I am almost 20 years old and i feel as though i am ready to take amrit, though i have a few questions i feel i cant ask anywhere else before doing so. Amrit Sanchar is next week, and as confident as i am, I am just as scared. I know it sounds silly, If guruji is with you, you should have nothing to be afraid about, but being a teenage girl in western society it is hard sometimes. I have gone off my path before, but i am on my way back and i feel like taking amrit is the push i need to erase my past, start fresh and to help me be the best i can be. like the first step in reaching akal purakh.

1. I know alot of amritdhari women get laser hair removal becuase once its gone they can keep thier rehat properly. Is it wrong of me to take amrit and then get laser treatments when i have to the money to do so? or should i not touch my hair at all, i know thats preferred but considering where we live it really is hard to have muchan and dhari being a girl living here. will guru ji forgive me for getting rid or reducing hair once on my face and then after completely keeping my rehat?

2. Must a woman cover her head all the time after taking amrit? I want to wear a dastar eventually, but i know i have to ease into that and do it when im ready. Do i have to cover with ramal all the time in the meantime? or is covering hair not mandatory.

3.What about relationships? I am not actually in one, but an amritdhari guy and I both have quite strong feelings and overtime continue to get to know one another, we dont want to break any rules but we also dont want to miss the opportunity, I really feel as though this is the man i will marry, but we are both just too young right now. how do we continue this without having kaami thoughts, but keep this connection strong enough without having a bf.gf relationship.

4. Are we allowed to wear makeup? I have some skin issues and ive always used makeup as a way to cover them up, am i allowed to continue this?

5. We are not allowed to wear earrings or nail polish, correct?

thank you for your help!

1. no removal of any hair once you have taken amrit as its a bajjar kureht. combing out dead hair, and cutting dead part of fingernails (if u wana no about fingernails too) are ok.

2. covering head is not mandatory. i am a guy (saying this for perspective). some punj wont allow u to take amrit if your head isnt covered. and some also say, dont eat from anyone who aint got head covered or isnt amtirdhari.. but i personaly dont agree with this. dasam pita didnt say no to women if they didnt have hair covered etc. if you cover your head, then its good. but its not mandetory for women from the time of our gurus. i dont mind. but it looks good. (and jus to say, dasam dwaar is at the top of the head. not the back - you may well hear some weird thingss..)

3. back in the day, women and men never used to look at the opposite. just imagine a shy coy girl / guy from an india pind. :p. now-a-days, its norm for guys n girs to talk and plan their future. this is ok. though i would not recomend it, hugs are ok too. things are transferred through the hirda. emotional and spiritual bonds. you can get led astray in so many ways with these bonds if too many are there. may sound weird, but, i personaly feel you have alot about yourself. you will make an amazing amritdhari. there was summin about the way u wrote. :)

4. everyone wears makeup. i preffer no make up. after all, i dont want to wear the makeup myself after hugs! there is rehet about this tho.. wil explain.

5. earings are for different reason. nail polish is re: makeup. earings, well. the followers of gorakh naath, all had earings. guru gobind singh G said to them, 'y u ripping ur ears, that dont make u holy'.

guru gobind singh Gs rehet. doos and donts.

nishaane sikhi-E-haroof kaaf

this is the nishaan of sikhi, and the thingss to not do.

hargiz n baashe e punz muaaf

i will take no moment is saying the 5 'good' things.

kara kaar do kach kanghe bidhaa

kara, kirpaan ; 2 ; kach , kangha are the things - ( most translate kaar do, to be 2 kirpans. miri and piri. i like to think that it means this, as well as 2 kacheras. cuz thas pretty standard.)

bila kesh haech ast jumale nishaa

without kes (unshorn hair), all the other nishaanis are jumala. (pointless. sikhi starts from out kes / kashera. then kara and kanga. then ends with kirpaan.)

----

haraf haai kaat ast E punz kaaf

with these5 good things, now i say the 5 bad things. - ( every jathabandi says there are 4 bujjar kurets. which there are. but guru G wrote 5.)

bida nand baavar na goyam khilaaf

im not doing no shanka (double minded) on this

huka, hajaamat, halaalo haram

smoking (and any other drugs), cutting hair (and any other hair), halaal meat (and any other meat - sikhs dont distinguish between the way that meat is killed, its still meat), haram (and any other haram) - ask a muslim what haram is. he will giv a mahhaaseef list of things u cant do! but, generally, this is where people say, "adultry" "extra marital relationships" etc.. but, its also a haram to speak harshly to people. in sggs guru G says, toot preet geyi bur bol. ur love for god breaks if u speak bad. this is a type of haram.

baacheesae hena karad roo siya faam

colour hena/mendhi to do body(roo) and hair - word for word in order.

we cannot colour our body / hair. means no tatoos / highlights / paint(i.e. colour). this is where taksal translate it to mean makeup.

once i find it on my hard drive, i will post this lil bani.

gurfateh

post-16046-0-69614500-1342782703_thumb.j

post-16046-0-63565100-1342782716_thumb.j

post-16046-0-96801500-1342782733_thumb.j

post-16046-0-19118900-1342782745_thumb.j

I strongly believe every man and woman should wear a dastar whether they believe it is one of the kakkars or not.

It is a rehat that we shouldn’t wear makeup or jewellery.

surmwidk iSMgwr nihN nihN pr qrunI sMig

suramaadhik shi(n)gaar nehi(n) nehi(n) par tharunee sa(n)gi

Do not wear make-up or jewellery. Do not commit adultery.

Rehatnama Bhai Daya Singh Jee

Hit the nail on the head Shadow jee.

“Kachhera, Karha, Kirpan, Kangha, Keski – Whoever keeps the discipline of wearing these 5Ks will be known as my Sikh.”

(Bhai Chaupa Singh Rehatnama)

“One who does not tie a fresh turban is liable for penalty. For this reason it is mandatory for every Sikh of the Guru to tie a turban everyday.”

(Rehitnama Bhai Chaupa Singh)

Tie your hair-knot on the top of your head, and tie a turban.”

(Bhai Desa Singh Rehatnama)

“Do not stay without a turban, do not keep your hair uncovered.”

(Guru Gobind Singh Ji – 52 Hukams of the Tenth Master recorded by Baba Ram Koher Ji at Hazoor Sahib)