I'm Thinking Of Going To My Local Gurdwara

Guest seth

All religions lead to god in the sense that all religions are talking of the same god. There is only one, who is called by many different names.

Gurbani says that Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists and Jains see part of the picture, but a Sikh sees the whole thing.

Too much emphasis is put on the afterlife. If you are only doing good deeds because you think you will be rewarded with God's grace after death, then you have selfish motives.

If there is a heaven, I think you will find Sikhs and non-Sikhs living there.

The goal of a Sikh is to achieve liberation in this life. We are not supposed to be chasing some reward after we die.

...But my question to you all is why do you take your own or the Guru's word that he/you knows there is a true god? Faith does not suffice as an answer for me (as a forewarning). Faith is only defined by itself in my eyes(which is not a definition)...

-Seth

I would say its about experience, we want to have the experience of Waheguru. So thats what we practice, having a real experience, once its real, then you know it, until then its an idea

But in order to have an experience you need traning/teaching on what to do and what not do. In the same way you want to drive a car, without an instructor it would be very difficult to pick it up, even harder if it was a huge truck, even harder an aeroplane! Reaching Waheguru is even more complex, but the Gurus simplified the method for the people so that a layman can reach God if he does the right things.

I would recommend reading the Japji Sahib which is the main hymn of all Sikhs, it contains the philosophy, ideas and many other things all put together in one hymn. This is repeated every single day but Sikhs all over the world.

here is a link

http://www.3ho.org/k...pji%20Sahib.pdf

also check out this video,

Oh Please!!!! Are you telling me the all loving God will let billions of people go without food, shelter, and make many atheist????? Is this what your all loving God does???? What came before the Vedas? What is written in the vedas?? You don't know because you have never read them or even studied them. Yet you want to comment on thousands of years of history!!! Completely ridiculous!!!!

Why do I comment on thousands of years of history?

I have had the privilege to experience some things in life which made me realise that there are many roads to God and no one is more valid than the other - they are just different. As a Sikh, I am comfortable with that - my faith is strong enough to deal with that.

I visited an ancient temple complex in Guatemala called Tikal and had the opportunity to sit at the top of a temple and which the sun rise over the jungle - perfectly aligned with their temple structures - an experience I will neever forget. The Mayans worshipped various deities and the Sun. They were a civilisation that lasted a thousand years - who is to say that their faith is less valid than your faith?

I have had the opportunity to visit the temples of ancient Rome and Greece, Buddhist monasteries in Ladakh, mosques in North Africa and ancient hindu temples in Tamil Nadu.

I studied religion and theology at school and was taught Evolutionary Theory by the atheist-in-chief, Richard Dawkins at university.

I don't claim to be an expert, but have done as much as I can - to learn and challenge myself.

If occassionally you left your bedroom and your PC behind and challenged your brain to stretch itself beyond your comfort zone, you may have a more fulfilling existence.

Guest So proud

Well done guys. A Christian brother wants to find out more about Sikhi and we (once again) completely ignore what he has said and show him how good we are at fighting with ourselves!

Keep up the good work ;)

Thank you all for your responses. Do you have any recomendation on what day of the week to go? What time, etc?

-Seth

Going to the Gurdwara at anytime is a great experience, but there will probably be a larger congregation on friday evening, saturday morning, saturday evening and sunday morning.

A service normally starts between 5pm and 7pm called Rehras, you will have to check what time it starts at your local Gurdwara, this would be a good time to check it out as they recite hymns and also have musicians called Kirtanees playing hymns to music.

Hope you enjoy your experience,

Thank you all for your responses. Do you have any recomendation on what day of the week to go? What time, etc?

-Seth

best time is when there is a diwan or stage program on, if Gurbani translations are on the screen then it will make things a lot easier for you.

why do you take your own or the Guru's word that he/you knows there is a true god?

Welcome seth bro to the Sikh forum.This is based on my own research both on modern day school of thought and traditional sikh school of thought-

You will find two Sikh school of thoughts-

Modern day Sikh thought of God: abhramic version of God (thanks to protestant victorian christian fanatics when they were ruling India, they implanted their protestant victorian influence on sikh thought- to divide and rule- Sikh religion as we were seen as a threat- british umpire)

Traditional Sikh thought of creator:

Vahiguroo (God)

In Sikh theology, Vahiguroo is ONE ( "Ik" Ongkar). However, to realize and feel oneness of Vahiguroo in everyone, in everything and in Vahiguroo attributes, Vahiguroo is consider to have two states- nirgun and sargun. In fact, whole sikh foundation is based on nirgun and sargun state of Vahiguroo.

Definition of Nirgun form/state of Vahiguroo in its essence is Sat(truth) Chit(Supreme Consciousness) anand (Blissful) which cannot be described but knowledge of supreme existence of Vahiguroo can only be felt and attained

Definition of Sargun form/state of Vahiguroo- Sargun state of Vahiguroo is when nirgun original state of Vahiguroo immanent its attributes:

i) Shabad- which explains the attributes of Vahiguroo but most importantly- shabad which has (gyan)knowledge of Vahiguroo When one meditates on shabad, it unites human being fully with God.

ii) Creation- creator is infused in its creation like how fragnance is infused into the flower.

iii) Physical form of Vahiguroo- Highest emobidment of Vahiguroo- Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji to Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji divine avtar of Nirgun Vahiguroo followed by six different type of avtars in Indic Philosphy.

Nirgun state of Vahiguroo transcendent its attributes to sargun during creation and it's ever present through out cycle of yugas/ages (Satjug, treta, dvapar and kaljug).

Perfect example of Nirgun transcedenting its immanent to Sargun is deep spiritual meaning of - Ikongkar (First Mantra in our living guru- Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Ikongkar~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ik- Indicates Nirgun form/state of Vahiguroo

Ong- indicates nirgun attributes transcedent itself to sargun - shabad/creation

Kar- Kar intertwines both sargun and nirgun state of Vahiguroo

b) What are Vahiguroo attributes?

- Attributes of Vahiguroo are limitless and its beyond human comprehension as stated in jaap sahib (one of most important composition which talks about nirgun sargun flow of God).

However, main attributes of Vahiguroo are mentioned in Gurmantar- Vahiguroo itself and Mool Mantra.

Gurmantar- Vahiguroo

Vahi (Acharaj/Wonderful Roop) Guroo - Bring one from darkness to light

As our state of mind changes, one start feeling deeper meaning of Vahiguroo Gurmantar-

Vahi (Acharaj/Wonderful roop) Guroo- chaitan roop (all prevading super consciousness atma paratma)

Mool Mantra-

Ikongkar = ( One Vahiguroo Nirgun/Sargun Interconnected/intertwine with one and another)

Satnaam- His name is truth

Kartapurkh- He himself is creator.

Nirbhau- He is without fear.

Nirvair- He does not have any enemy

Akaal Moorat- He is without time, he is exist without shape or form.

Ajooni- Without birth/death

Saibhang- He is light of knowledge

Gurparsad - He can be felt by grace of Guru(Vahiguroo)

Jap - Meditate

Aad sach means Vahiguroo always been truth. One cannot find confine- Vahiguroo in time or space- Aad Sach.

Jagud Sach- From the beginnning of all yugs(ages) you are truth.

Habhi Sach: Vahiguroo is truth in the present with no change.

Nanak Hosi bhi sach: Nanak says, vahiguroo will be always truth in future with any change

In gurbani nirgun and sargun are one:

Sargun Nirgun Nirankar Sun Samadhi Aaap, Aaapie Kiya Nanaka Apaie Fer Jaap ||

Gurbani further illustrates one immanent to many:

Nirgun Tae Sargun Thiya (From Nirgun vahiguroo, sargun came).

From formless, He appeared as form.

Then in Jaap sahib, Guru gobind singh ji shows us how nirgun transcedent to many and then from many back to one(Nirgun):

Ek moorat(i) anek darsan koon roop anek|| (Jaap)

Thou, the One Entity, appearest as Many creating innumerable forms.

Khel khel akhel khelan ant ko phir(i) ek||81||

After playing the world-drama, when Thou wilt stop the play, Thou wilt be the same One again.81.

c) How this whole universe was created?

- The whole universe/multiverse was created by shabad resosance(divine sound) upon nirgun vahiguroo transcedenting its attributes to sargun.

As our living guru- gurbani states:

Utpat Parloa Shabade Hovaie

Creation and destruction occurs through divine shabad

Shabade hi fir opat hovaie

Through the shabad, creation happens again.

c.)What is the shabad behind creation and destruction?

Gurbani states:

Pirthame On(g)kar So Dhun Poran Jagat Mae Raha ||

Fist ongkar was recited and that resosance created world and give nourishment to this world. (Siri Guru Gobind Singh Ji, Dasam Granth Sahib)

Ongkar aad kathni anad, Khal Khand Khyal Gurbar Akaal ||

Brother if one can reach God being a christian or muslim or hindu etc.. then what is the point in being a Sikh? And where does our Guru ji say that you can reach Vaheguru ji following any religion?

Veerji Guru Granth Sahib Ji includes bani of 15 Bhagats and they were from different religion. Sheikh Farid Ji, Bhagat Kabeer Ji were muslims. Bhagat Naamdev Ji, Bhagat Ramanand Ji were Hindu but it doesnt mean they havent met God. Bhagat naamdev ji was a hindu but he codemned the practises followed by brahmans. Many of Guru Ji followers were from other religion. Saai Mia Meer Ji, who laid the foundation of Harmandir Sahib was a muslim, Bhai Nand Lal Ji was Hindu, though he became Sikh afterwards and there are many other examples. It doesnt matter from which religion you are you can be one with God. But why we Sikhs are lucky because our Guru Ji left us with pure Brahmgyan in the roop of Guru Granth Sahib Ji rather than other religions' scriptures which mostly include karam kaands, but if someone being from those religions rise above these karamkaands and understand the concept of seeing one supreme lord in everyone its possible meet God. Bhagat Naamdev Ji saw God even in a dog. We all are sons of one supreme lord. As Guru ji says " Hindu Turk Koi Raafzi Imaam Saafi, Maanas Ki Jaat Sabhai Ekai Pehchanbo." " Jimin Jaman Ke Bikhai Samast Ek Jot Hai", "Aval Allah Noor Upaya, Kudrat Ke Sab Bande"," Koi Bolai Raam Raam Koi Khudaye". Guru Ji taught us equality but we still divide people on basis of caste, religion. Guru Ji said unless we see one lord in everyone, we are not going to be one with the lord.

Je Kuch Galat bol geya hova ta chhota veer samaj ke Bhul Chuk Layi Muaafi De Dena Ji

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh