Laser Eye Surgery (Lasik)

ghatak

My brother got it done about two years ago. Very successful in his case. No more glasses and contacts. Of course there are precautions which depends on your age and health. My dad got it done this past 6 months ago even though i did not want him to due to his age and him being a diabetic but still successful. Better to consult a doctor than to go by others experiences. Defintely thoroughly think threw it first

Guest Kim Molyneaux

I had blended lasik laser eye surgery at the age of 49. One eye sees long distance, the other close up. I don't have 20/20 vision but it is good enough and I don't need glasses. If you are over 40 this is probably a good option, but you should check with a reputable surgeon who will advise you. I wish I had had it done earlier. The freedom for glasses and contacts is life changing. See ww.myeyebook.co.uk for more info. Good luck if you go ahead!

there are are pros and cons - do your research first and dont go for a cheap option....remember the op is irreversible and you will always lose the protective film covering the eye (since this is cut inorder for the lazer to go through deeper down the eye). For a couple of weeks you gotta be careful you dont get anything in your etc.......IMHO dont go for it,........whwen it first came out it was like a rich mans priviledge like having a palstic surgey to make you breasts bigger or your buttocks bigger. then doctors/media started portraying it like its a medical wonder thing

I had it done 2 years ago. There are 2 options.

1) One involves burning the outer layer of the lens I think, so it grows back like brand new. It takes longer to recover and its more painful but you don't have to worry about messing up your eyes if you get poked.

2) They make a cut in the lens, peel it back and then fix up your vision with a laser. Takes about 15 minutes and you shouldn't feel too much pain cuz they give you local anesthesia. Shorter recovery time, but if you get poked in the eye, then you got to rush to the doctor to fix it otherwise it could permamently damage your vision.

I had the second option. I saw 20/20 right away, and after a month my vision became 20/15. I had to wear sunglasses for a while, when I went outside, and I'm still putting drops in my eyes to keep them from getting too dry. There is more glare when driving at night, but not too bad.

Try to get as much information out of them as you can during your pre-op. They sold me on the more expensive option by telling me it was less painful and a quicker recovery. I just have to be careful not to get poked in the eye now when I play sports. Otherwise I'm pretty happy.

Be very careful my friend! I had it done last year and it has completely ruined my night time vision. Car lights at night blind me with their brightness and I see massive glare and starbursts around them. I stupidly did not research it properly beforehand. I had the standard LASIK which I was told would be fine for me.

It turns out that my pupil size was incorrectly measured and so standard LASIK should not have been performed as my pupil size in the dark is over 9mm.

If you are to do it make sure you go for wavefront guided LASIK. Also make sure your pupil size is measured in complete darkness! Put a jacket over your head to shut out any light.

Hopefully they will fix my problem, if not then I will consider taking action because they incorrectly measured my pupil size and said that standard LASIK would be fine for me.

My daytime vision is perfect though, better than 20 20. But still I would rather wear glasses than having this very bad night vision.