What Is Happening With Our Youth? Please Read

Guest Pannu Sikh Warrior

I think people just find only the youth to blame and I'm serious tired of this. Stop blaming the youth, yes they are partially to be blamed for their actions but not entirely. Part of it is the parents, gurdwara committies, media, and western culture. Some parents are too busy working that they don't teach their kids the simple well known facts about Sikhi. I'm always so suprised that I've seen other Punjabis(Sikhs) that have been brought up in India and have come to U.S in their late teens don't know much about Sikhi even though they are more exposed to it in India than the youth that was brought up here. I was about 7 when I came to the U.S but I know how to do the paath and I know the basic facts of Sikhi because my parents made sure we knew about Sikhi about my culture. Some parents don't put restrictions on their kids early on in life and when those teenage years hit they are not going to listen to the parents. And it's at that time when they try to divert their kids back to Sikhi which will not happen after they have been so exposed to other things in life. The other thing that is to blame is some gurdwaras who care more about politics than about teaching the youth about Sikhi. Our Gurdwara has had its ups and downs. Politics is still huge here, no one on the committe is young and therefore they are not able to understand the youth. Luckily they have couple of Great Sikhs here that know spreading the message to the youth is very important so they give lectures in English, they have classes in english, activities for the youth(such as dastaar contest). They have screens in the darbar hall which translates the kirtan in english and they have tvs in the langar hall so sangat still is connected to Guru ji. Those are some good aspects of it but I feel a lot of them come to the langar hall to gossip which is mostly done by the elder ladies. They are the ones that need to set a good example that Gurdwara Sahib is pavitaar and we come their to come closer to Guru ji to learn about Guru ji and not to gossip. But I guess our community doesn't really have a lot of events outside of the Gurdwara Sahib where all the Sikhs can get together and chat and leave the Gurdwara solely for connecting with Guru ji. People should stop blaming the youths because they just didn't decide one day "Oh I'm not gonna follow Sikhi." Elder generation needs to take a iniative to help them steer this way by coming up with unique fresh solutions that would appeal to the youth. Especially the Gurdwara Sahib committe that doesn't really seem to be concerned about the youth.

I like RebelSinghs idea. Parchar in English too. Or translations on big projector screens.

Also booklets should be given to Sangat, on at least a starting point or basics of Sikhi. This way people Will read and have the information with them and not forget being able to refer back to them. People remember more from visual imagery, pictures than listening. Well that's my experience. Years ago i was asked to make a booklet on Sikh history, for the community, as then there was not much simple literature, but for some reason it did not go ahead, due to funding issue. if something like that was done in gurdware it would attract attention.

Also if the parents know nothing or little about Sikhi, what are they going to teach the children. That's difficult one as they are working most of the time to provide for their families. I feel gurdwaras should emphasise on taking time out to the parents to educate children. They should make regular announcements, to remind them, or example every Sunday as its easy to forget in this busy technological world. Maybe by also mentioning websites where they can refer to or learn from.

Another important thing I'd like to add is that big chunks of the youth are alienated from the Gurdwara and do not visit. Sometimes this is due to previous negative experiences, sometimes it's just the way they have been brought up with their own parents rarely (if ever attending). The point I'm trying to make is that we need to seriously consider reaching those brothers/sisters in the above type scenarios and that involves activity outside of a Gurdwara. Plus given the 'politics' of some Gurdwara these days, many youth will flee in disgust if they witness the Panjabi yobbishness that can take place.

Internet based solutions are a good idea, but how would such a site look? Remember we'd be catering for a totally different type to that which would normally visit Sikh sites.

I agree with RebelSingh ji. I think parchaar needs to be done in English. Maybe have programs on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday will be in English and Sunday can be in Punjabi.

Sikhi needs to be explained in a way that these kids can apply to their lives. Show them that Sikhi has the answer to their problems and they can benefit as a person if they apply Sikhi.

Don't criticize them. When I had cut hair, the last thing I wanted was some bloke running after me telling me that I should be ashamed of myself, blah, blah, blah. Many Sikhs stop coming to gurdwara for this reason. They don't want to have to suffer the holier-than-thou naggers. Instead, be a good example and you will see that people will try and emulate you. Yogi Bhajan had a katha where he told his students to "Be the Lighthouse" that the ships look towards during the storm.

It's about time that we have granthis who are born and raised in the UK, US and Canada. I feel these people will best be able to relate to today's youth. I recommend that these people be young gursikh professionals, and that we should allow them to run the Saturday English program. They should be role models that the kids will want to emulate.

My two cents.

One other idea that other Sikhs or other Gurdwaras can adapt is like a camping trip. What they do here is that they plan a trip every year at various places around our state have everything setup there like a stage and its like camp in a way but for the older youth. I believe its for ages 18-25 where you come interact with other Sikhs and learn more about Sikhi. U get up at amrit vela everyone does paath(or listen to it), kitaan, langaar and then have various activities. My brother went to it and he very much enjoyed it. He's a mona and resents going to the Gurdwara when its packed because non haircutting Sikhs are so judgemental and ask millions of question like why does ge dress a certain way, why is his haircut etc. that keeps pushing him further and further and the elder generation is to be blamed. Instead of being judgemental help them learn about Sikhi and embrace it.

What else could be done is one day out of the week should be strictly for the youth at the Gurdwara Sahib so they can learn paath kirtaan etc. i know couple of people who always wanted to learn kirtaan but were shy to do that infront of all the elders watching. If they see people the same age as them they will relax and learn much more.

Why some other religions are successful at holding onto their youths are they have preachers that are young, they have special nights for youths(like Sunday school for Christians) in Sikhism u dont see that too often if u do its for the little kids. But i feel none of this can be implemented in our routines unless the Gurdwara commitee has some young fresh faces!!

It just occurred to me why does the Gurdwara committee requires you to be Amrit Shakad and do certain amount of paaths? Its not like they do anything other than argue(sorry personal opinion)

Another important thing I'd like to add is that big chunks of the youth are alienated from the Gurdwara and do not visit. Sometimes this is due to previous negative experiences, sometimes it's just the way they have been brought up with their own parents rarely (if ever attending). The point I'm trying to make is that we need to seriously consider reaching those brothers/sisters in the above type scenarios and that involves activity outside of a Gurdwara. Plus given the 'politics' of some Gurdwara these days, many youth will flee in disgust if they witness the Panjabi yobbishness that can take place.

Internet based solutions are a good idea, but how would such a site look? Remember we'd be catering for a totally different type to that which would normally visit Sikh sites.

bro regarding wat sites, i reckon ppl like jagraj singhs "basics of sikhi" r off the hook, he literally dumbs n breaks it down for ppl. hes jus released new videos explainin how Guru Nanak could NEVER EVER EVER have been a muslim, excellent stuff, which cud educate, especially girls who r continuously told thats hes muslim, so u shud convert 2, which we kno these sullayys say 2 apnay kurriyan.

Also listenin 2 katha from sukha singh, bhai manvir singh (a former contributor 2 this site), bhai parminder singh, all these guys can b found on youtbe, which is where majority of kids/ppl spend their time. Even katha from killa from sikh unit, altho his has bits of swearin in it, if u dont mind.

http://www.youtube.c...r/basicsofsikhi (jagrajs youtube channel)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SZvd5e8jEE

shut up u mug, we have had many discussions on this before, and A LOT of ppl have agreed that english parchar is the way. if that isnt the case, then tell me WHY sarb from 'rajona tv' is so succesful? why is jagraj singh of 'basics of sikhi' so succesful? why is bhai parminder singh of north america so succesful? why is bhai sukha singh (gravesend) an absolute LEGEND with his parchaar? Why is kam singh from sikh channel/sangat tv youth show on sundays the highest viewed show on sikh channel last yr? Why is bhai mohan singh (the most respectable sikh in uk right now), able to get his message across to the public ? The answer 2 all these is because its in ENGLISH, but middle class pappus like u think every1 was born with panjabi dictionary in their mind, will never understand this. Tell me when White/black/eastern european/non-panjabis etc ppl come 2 the gurdwara lookin 4 possible guidance 2 their starvin souls, wat r they supposed 2 do wen nutin is available in the worlds neutral language, english?? then they aks a giani, n he cant speak english then wat? Many ppl, who r not born in sikh families, n others who r born in sikh families. hav transformed from sinners 2 members of the khalsa, coz of the internet, which is in ENGLISH!

look at how muslims cater for EVERYONE!! they have even recently released a quran, written in gurmukhi panjabi.

U and master tara singh r of the same breed, very short sighted of potential, pappu.

Why do you have to use this kind aggressive language? You seriously need to calm down.