Why Are People Born Disabled?

RebelSingh

Beginner = When did I say to beocme a Sikh u must've been a mughal?

UK = That was connected to Rebel's 3rd Sakhi which you said you believed.

Beginner = LOL, and you said this on the first page : "It's just the lottery of nature." That can't be, it has to be under God's control

UK = So if a tsunami or flood or a plague or mass starvation or millions die from HIV or malaria you genuinely attribute that to God sending those punishments down purposefully? So the Sikh Qaum deserved 300,000 plus innocent Sikhs killed off in Pakistan in 1947 and then in 1984 we deserved 10,000 Sikhs killed off in Delhi, not to mention what happened afterwards?

UK = Have you ever considered that God is = "ALL THAT IS GOOD" in the Universe(s) + beyond?

Beginner = That implies nature determines some things, which would mean it's a semi-diety under God.

UK = That's classic Hindu philosphy you're suggesting. Not Sikhi.

Beginner = That can't be, it has to be under God's control,, so there cant be randomness, and hence, no lottery.

UK = Fair enough bro, you're entitled to share the view with Christians, Hindu's and Muslims that God decides who will be disabled.

Beginner = You (London) also said : Are you seriously telling me that the white Americans who consume the highest levels of alcohol, commit the most adultery and enjoy as much drugs on a per capita basis as anybody else have prayed the most in their previous lives whilst the poor gareeb folks from India and Africa who do nobody any harm and live a humble shareef way deserved their lot because they must have done a lot of bad crimes in their past life?

Beginner = Uhhhh,yea, I'm saying it is certainly possible bro , regarding the white americans, and as for people suffering in Africa? Their colour of skin IMO is of no importancee as it doesnt matter, but they reaped what they sow. You think God just punishes people randomly? They did things, those that are starving, and now they reap the rewards of it.

UK = Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion bro but I disagree with you strongly. And no divine justice is not random, all I'm saying is that it is not for us to speculate via manmat as to the method, when it conflicts with Gurmat by not being perfect.

Beginner = and Guru Ji did not suffer on the 'taavi'...

UK = For clarification, Kaljugi Paji was not referring to something I said. We all accept their Shaheedi and that's what matters.

Beginner = anywyas, my two cents, there they are.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK = Exactly, from below, we can see the answer to the whole debate (if we care to look at it)

ਅਮੁਲੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਅਮੁਲੁ ਦੀਬਾਣੁ ॥

Amul Dhharam Amul Dheebaan ||

अमुलु धरमु अमुलु दीबाणु ॥

Priceless is the Divine Law of Dharma, Priceless is the Divine Court of Justice.

5 ਜਪੁ (ਮ: ੧) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੫ ਪੰ. ੧੭

Jap Guru Nanak Dev Ang:5 Line: 17

WJKK WJKF

As a parent of Sikh child who is on the higher rate for mobility and care needs I have to say it's disappointing to see how judgemental some of your views have been. I always say to my neurotypical healthy children that there is no such thing as a stupid question - but really! This is why we don't see that many Sikh kids/adults with disabilities in our communities and why everybody has the urge to blame someone or something. Everything is God's will and our lives are truly enriched and have witnessed the power of prayer (ardas). We seem to take one step forward and then two huge backwards again. If its in you to help then just please do it with purity in your hearts. Whatever your views are it should not effect the outcome.

Thank-you UKLondonSikh for your wisdom. It's said that you can judge a civilised society by the way it treats its vulnerable and disabled - it will be interesting to see how India fair in the forthcoming London Paralympic Games.

WJKK WJKF

WJKK WJKF

As a parent of Sikh child who is on the higher rate for mobility and care needs I have to say it's disappointing to see how judgemental some of your views have been. I always say to my neurotypical healthy children that there is no such thing as a stupid question - but really! This is why we don't see that many Sikh kids/adults with disabilities in our communities and why everybody has the urge to blame someone or something. Everything is God's will and our lives are truly enriched and have witnessed the power of prayer (ardas). We seem to take one step forward and then two huge backwards again. If its in you to help then just please do it with purity in your hearts. Whatever your views are it should not effect the outcome.

Thank-you UKLondonSikh for your wisdom. It's said that you can judge a civilised society by the way it treats its vulnerable and disabled - it will be interesting to see how India fair in the forthcoming London Paralympic Games.

WJKK WJKF

I'm not saying don't help, sorry if you got that, I'm saying we reap what we sow. If bad things happen in my life, it is MY FAULT, not God's, and IMO (different from UK bro's opinion), that is true for everybody. I'm not saying those less fortunate should not be cared for and that we should not show compassion for them. I didn't mean to appear bigoted, but is OUR karma, IMO, that determines our life; it's our past actions, and that does not just apply to disabled but to everyone; I didn't mean to single ANYBODY out. This rule applies, IMO, to all beings who suffer, except those who are Godly enough to be above the hands of karma.

ITs not due to environmental changes or surroundings that people are born disabled, its just how they are born. The mothers could be very cautious in everything and take precautions to make sure she is doing everything healthily, but still people are born disabled.

And its not always people are born disabled, it can happen later on in life, due to accidents, illness, health conditions. For example myself, i was not born disabled, had a lovely life, then one day became disabled. Everybody kept saying its down to karm, and I remember overhearing th docs sayin I didnt have long to live, and that was 9yrs ago.

Then I started walking again, and everybody was like amazed like how come that happened. I go through phases of being disabled and then getting better. But that is due to my health condition which I acquired middle life. So I must have weird karms.

UK = Sikhi has never said that people are born disabled due to the wrong interpretation of the word karma implying it's because of their (alleged but unproven) past sins. Who are we to say what people's past sins were and in the process imply that Aurangzeb must have been really "good" in his past life etc, etc. In fact the tenets of Sikhi teach us that those who suffer the most in their life and those that experience the greatest struggles in their life are those who will achieve mukhti before those of us who are born with the blessing of a healthy body but still go round committing paap. The fact is that even if 99.6% of disabled people in the world are not Sikh ... the reality is they are probably living a more sincere life in accordance with how Guru Sahib proscribed than 99% of able-bodied (sehajdhari) Sikhs.

You are right UK London Singh, we are in no position to judge anybody of their sins or karm, that is the job of Waheguru, God... It is also them that gives the disabled people the courage to fight harder against not only the disabilities they have but also the people of the world, i:e: judgement, insults, loneliness, not being able to do what others can do. Everything is in the hands of God, and they are the only ones that can turn a disabled into somebody that can do something which others would think they couldnt.

About living a disabled not being Sikh living a more sincere life in accordance with how Maharaj ji prescribed than able-bodied Sikhs, is not always the case, as everybody being has a "mann". And to control it and the thoughts is the same as anybody else. The mann is the hardest thing to control, so it doesnt matter whether one is disabled or able-bodied.

The thing that matters is when somebody is in dukh then they are more likely to say God's name, whether it be "why me" or just thinking about their lives, But there are some too that do not say God's name, they may not believe in God.

For me the bottom line is if I didnt have my health condition and didnt go through wat i have, I would not have remembered Waheguru as much, but then I think to myself maybe if I was healthy able-bodied than I am now, I could go gurdwara more, I could do paat properly, or more, and also think able-bodied healthy people are so lucky they have the chance to do all that, not having to go through the fatigue and the rest of symptoms which stop disabled people from getting closer to god.

It depends on how disabled one is, and the confidence and courage inside oneself in order to survive.

Also nobody is perfect in this world, everybody has a disability of some sort, its just that one needs the eye to see everybody as equal, as that is how Waheguru, sees us too. They do not differentiate between anybody, disability can happen to anybody. Just because somebody looks different, or cannot do what others can does not mean we are different. Its people's thinking, (soch) which is not right, as they see something different which they cannot cope with. But only God knows what can happen to anyone, its all in their hands.

Things that affect the development of the baby in the womb are called teratogens. They could be drugs / medications or genetic occurrences. They could even be viral infections or pre-existing conditions of the mother (like diabetes). Malnutrition of the mother can play a part. The baby could also get wrapped up in its own umbilical cord and have problems because of that. It could be a failure on the doctor's part because he/she is supposed to monitor these things.

Babies that are born disabled have a medical reason why they are born that way. It has nothing to do with their karma.

People do develop disabilities later in life as well, but I don't think it's because they deserved it for their karam. That usually has a medical reason behind it as well.

Maybe God sends these people to show us what real strength and courage is. Maybe it's to make us appreciate the things we take for granted and to stop us from complaining about our comparatively insignificant problems.

God bless.

I feel that this kind of topic gets really out of hand when it becomes religion vs science. On one side upu have people saying its ones bad deeds in past life that they are this way in this life. Meanwhile on the other hand you have those that believe when a mother is pregnant their were something wrong with the chromosomes. I think its really ill to thibk or judge a little child with disabilities by saying they have done something bad in their previous lIfe and therefore they are disabled now. As sikhs i thought we are not suppose to be quick to judge? I rather like to think of it as it is what it is. Every person is unique whether he or she is so called normal or is disabled.

aapay hi beej aapay hi khao

everything we get in this life is a result of a combination of actions in this life + karma (actions from previous lives) + (occasionally) Guru's grace. And this doesn't mean that I'm passing judgment on someone who is born disabled, it is not our right to judge. Even enlightened beings and saints have made numerous mistakes in their past lives. In this life a person could live a life in which they are physically well off, and in the next janam they may be disabled b/c those are the karams which had to be paid off, karams which may come from many lifetimes before.

This is basic Sikh philosophy. Up to this point I have never heard any deviation from it. It's the abramhic religions that teach that things just happen to be a certain way without any explanation whatsoever. Although I believe Guru sahib organises our karams in such a way that we can learn from them, it is not necessarily always going to be this way.

Karma can be eliminated or mitigated through seva simran and satsangat. Some karams, however, must be paid off in this life. These are referred to as pralabad karams. But the severity of these karams can be reduced through seva simran satsangat.

aapay hi beej aapay hi khao

everything we get in this life is a result of a combination of actions in this life + karma (actions from previous lives) + (occasionally) Guru's grace. And this doesn't mean that I'm passing judgment on someone who is born disabled, it is not our right to judge. Even enlightened beings and saints have made numerous mistakes in their past lives. In this life a person could live a life in which they are physically well off, and in the next janam they may be disabled b/c those are the karams which had to be paid off, karams which may come from many lifetimes before.

This is basic Sikh philosophy. Up to this point I have never heard any deviation from it. It's the abramhic religions that teach that things just happen to be a certain way without any explanation whatsoever. Although I believe Guru sahib organises our karams in such a way that we can learn from them, it is not necessarily always going to be this way.

Karma can be eliminated or mitigated through seva simran and satsangat. Some karams, however, must be paid off in this life. These are referred to as pralabad karams. But the severity of these karams can be reduced through seva simran satsangat.

cheers bro, best answer so far 2 my openin question.