Shooting At Wisconsin Sikh Temple (Gurdwara)

singher23

Does anyone know why there wasn't live coverage regarding what sadly happened this morning?

I read somewhere that the shooter was once in the US army. Think was on sikh24 news site (I could be wrong).

Feels so heartbreaking..even those of us in england should do programs/ardasa for the chalidkala of the panth and for us to be able to tackle this sort of attack.

It's not just Sikhs so many Muslims have been a target of this because some idiots are so ignorant that it's not going to make anything better or right by killing innocent citizens. US government is very much to be blamed for this in a sense. They give out so much money providing food stamps etc to whackos who are so lazy to work but they should rather put that money to good use to better the community and make US what it was to be according to the forefathers. What happened to freedom of religion? That was the main reason US emerged out of Great Britian but because US can't keep its self away from other cultures and religions then the amount of hate crimes might be less.

Wisconsin Sikh Temple president killed after trying to fight off attacker

One victim was confirmed as the temple’s president, 65-year-old Satwant Singh Kaleka who died as he tried to ‘knife and tackle’ the shooter. The other was Parkash Singh, a priest in his thirties, and a married father-of-two.

post-10-0-38480300-1344236267_thumb.jpg

Let us all pray for Gurdwara (temple) Granthi Sahib(Priest), Punjab Singh (Father of Raghvinder Singh) who has been critically injured in Wisconsin Sikh Temple Shooting. We also pray for the families of all the victims and and it will not a lot for us to get over this and those whose lives were not spared we pray for thier soul and those who are left behind need our support and courage to deal with all this.

Source: Dr. Harkesh Sandhu, California

My Father Baba Punjab Singh is Priest there in Oak, Wiscosin , I am not able to contact him and any other Gurudwara authorities, pls can you provide any contact number for more info urgently, I am from India – 91-9210431972 – Raghvinder Singh

post-10-0-92944700-1344236345_thumb.jpg

Shooting at the Sikh Gurdwara of Wisconsin in Oak Creek near Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - Sikh Federation (UK) statement

The Sikh Federation (UK) which is in the process of setting up chapters across the globe has expressed its shock by the senseless and tragic shooting which has occurred at the Sikh Gurdwara of Wisconsin in Oak Creek near Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA.

The shooting has resulted in seven deaths, including the assailant, and several seriously injured. Six Sikhs are confirmed dead: one Kathavachak (spiritual discourse giver), two sewadars (helpers) at the Gurdwara (place of worship), one woman, one elderly gentleman, and the identity of the sixth victim is not yet known.

Bhai Amrik Singh, the Chair of the Sikh Federation (UK) said:

‘Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims of this shooting, the Sikh community of Wisconsin, and the larger Sikh community across the USA. We offer our condolences and urge all to pray for the victims, their families and friends, and the surrounding community.

We strongly condemn the shooting of innocent Sikhs during a weekly congregation while the reading of the Sikh scriptures was in progress.’

Whilst the circumstances surrounding the shooting are emerging the police have referred to the incident as one of ‘domestic terrorism’. Reports suggest that the perpetrator was a heavy build, bald, white male who had at least two handguns.

President Obama has offered his condolences to the victims and said in a written statement: "As we mourn this loss which took place at a house of worship, we are reminded how much our country has been enriched by Sikhs, who are a part of our broader American family,"

Bhai Amrik Singh continued:

‘This act of terror has left the whole community in shock and is very disturbing for Sikhs worldwide. We also express our gratitude towards the police officers who confronted the shooter and offer our appreciation for the bravery of the veteran police officer shot multiple times and pray that he will recover fully soon.

This is a troubling day, not only for Sikhs in the USA, but Sikhs across the globe. However, Sikh organisations in the USA should work with the US Government and use this incident of hate crime that is receiving worldwide attention as a spring board to create greater awareness about Sikhs in the wider community so the idea of ‘mistaken identity’ can be firmly put to rest.’

My heart goes out to the sangat of Winconsin. My thoughts are also with the wider US sangat. Stay strong brothers and sisters.