Petiton To Nypd To Overturn Beard And Turban Ban

singher23

WJKK, WJKF

We are all aware of the terrible tradgedy that happened last week in the Oak Creek, Wisconsin Gurdwara. However, as terrible as that was, I know that I am not alone when I say that I know some good can come out of it. Yesterday, we saw our first potential positive.

The NYPD has long had a turban ban on its members, discouraging many Sikhs from joining the police force. Yesterday though, Sikh advocacy groups met with the Chief Financial Officer of NYC, Comptroller John C. Liu. He wrote a letter to the Mayor of NYC, Mr. Bloomberg, urging him to overturn the current ban. You can read the whole letter here

http://unitedsikhs.o...tterToMayor.pdf

In light of this, I have created a petition to gather support for this letter.

https://www.change.o...eard-and-turban

On this board we have talked a lot about making a difference. Now is the time, where we can step up and make that happen. Because in the end, we make the difference. Not some guy they bring onto CNN or BBC.

Also, it would really really help, if after signing the petition, you would send an email to the following Sikh advocacy groups, asking them to support the petition and send it out to their email list. Because even if they just get 100 emails saying the same thing, I am sure it would really encourage them to support it.

Sikh Coalition - http://sikhcoalition...t-us/contact-us

SALDEF - http://org2.democrac...Up.jsp?key=2045

United Sikhs - unitedsikhs-usa@unitedsikhs.org

I have even prepared a sample, all you have to do is copy and paste this into the subject field.

Hello,

In light of Comptroller Liu's recent letter to Mayor Bloomberg urging him to overturn the current beard and turban ban in the NYPD, I urge you to look at this petition supporting the letter, and send it out to your mailing list. It would greatly help in the cause.

https://www.change.o...eard-and-turban

Sincerely,

(Your Name)

The NYPD is one of the largest police forces in America, and here we have the oppurturnity to change the face of Sikhs all across North America. Please Brothers and Sisters, step up, and make a difference. It only takes 5 minutes, and it is the least we can do to honor the memory of those killed in Wisconsin

Veerji could i have your contact details please so UNITED SIKHS can contact you directly if need be regarding the petition. Thanks

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

My name is Ilie, I'm a NYC based journalist, doing a piece on the effort to overturn beard and turban ban. Please excuse my posting here, but I did want to speak with folks who will be directly affected by the effort -- and this seems to be the most direct way. Also, if anyone is or knows someone currently working at the NYPD who has been affected by this ban -- please let me know. You can PM me and I'll send you my contact info and more details.

Respectfully,

- ilie