Mrkhalsa007

There are Sikh oral traditions - seena basina traditions (passed on generations to generations) i.e - jhatka, sukha, seva of horse, shastarvidya etc to keep sikh martial chivalry hertiage alive, then there are Sikh spiritual traditions based on Gurbani i.e - panj granthi, das granthi nitneem, kirtan, arti-arta etc. As soon as minute extra is spent on oral traditions and prefered over spiritual tradtions based on Gurbani not just nihang but any sikh, one loooses plot on Sikhi.

In puratan times, Nihang Singhs are known for their shud dasam guru bani, countless bani from aad guru granth sahib memorized on lips but these days its other way around, except for their jathedars most of them and youths spent all day engaging (discussing or debating) oral traditions so so much they are going away from spritual traditions, just empty vessel bigging up their oral traditions- jhatka, sukha, farla (reduced to fashion garment) etc.

Dressing up like a nihang singh has become a social status for youths abroad these days but inside usually youths are spiritualy bankrupt as they are preferring oral traditions over spiritual traditions..

Excellent post...i think applies to Taksali's, AKJ's etc too. In a nutshet it applies to us all really!

Nihangs must have fine balance just like their jathedars..Even their jathedars mahapursh, they only perform jhatka or sukha only on big occasions like jor melas rather than every day event which so called youth nihangs engage like it some high school party..!!!!

To be honest, this is what i was told this too, but when Baba Joginder Singh (Buddha Dal) came down to UK, he used to drink too much Sukha on a daily basis...which has now changed my perseption to believe that even most of the jathedars do (not all though)

Okay....

After reading everyones thoughts on this, I got one question.....

For those that say it is okay to consume (even for those Akali singhs that live only that particular lifestyle)...

Explain this gurbani tuk from guru granth sahib ji...

kbIr BWg mwCulI surw pwin jo jo pRwnI KWih ]

qIrQ brq nym kIey qy sBY rswqil jWih ]233] Kabeer, those mortals who consume marijuana, fish and wine

- no matter what pilgrimages, fasts and rituals they follow, they will all go to hell. ||233||

How can you justify ANYTHING, after reading this? If your guru is same as all sikhs, then you should not be consuming, OR saying it is okay for "SOME" singhs of particular background/caste/jatha to consume.... end of!

Okay....

For those that say it is okay to consume (even for those Akali singhs that live only that particular lifestyle)...

qIrQ brq nym kIey qy sBY rswqil jWih ]233] Kabeer, those mortals who consume marijuana, fish and wine

- no matter what pilgrimages, fasts and rituals they follow, they will all go to hell. ||233||

How can you justify ANYTHING, after reading this? If your guru is same as all sikhs, then you should not be consuming, OR saying it is okay for "SOME" singhs of particular background/caste/jatha to consume.... end of!

I don't do sukha nor i advocate others to do so. But both parties (right wingers and lefty wingers- hippies) need to stop using serene gurbani without looking at proper context to prove their point in debates or discussion.

For eg as gurbani is posted from bhagat kabir shaloks, lefty hippies can equally argue posting it from same gurbani from bhagat kabir shaloks on no point keeping long kesh by posting the below:

ਕਬੀਰ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਇਕ ਸਿਉ ਕੀਏ ਆਨ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਜਾਇ ॥

कबीर प्रीति इक सिउ कीए आन दुबिधा जाइ ॥

Kabīr parīṯ ik si▫o kī▫e ān ḏubiḏẖā jā▫e.

Kabeer, when you are in love with the One Lord, duality and alienation depart.

ਭਾਵੈ ਲਾਂਬੇ ਕੇਸ ਕਰੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਘਰਰਿ ਮੁਡਾਇ ॥੨੫॥

भावै लांबे केस करु भावै घररि मुडाइ ॥२५॥

Bẖāvai lāʼnbe kes kar bẖāvai gẖarar mudā▫e. ||25||

You may have long hair, or you may shave your head bald. ||25||

So yea, guys from both sides, give everyone break and stop this trend of silly games of posting one line gurbani tukhs to prove your point (either for or against sukha).

Gurbani is above from our tribal wars..!!!!!

Okay....

do you know you just quoted bhagat kabir jis bani?...you do know naqshabandi sufi musalman eat halal maas and some segments consume bhang for dhikr aswell? those specific tuks you provided are in reference to the rich who lived along the river ganga..and how they used to waste their lives in sensual pleasures and forgot worship of divine...bhagat kabir ji is warning them.

people like twisting gurbani to suit their own agenda...sri sarbloh granth instructs sikhs to practice JHATKA...and there is no contradiction from sri aad guru and sri sarbloh granth..we just lack the understanding

Guru Nanak Dev Ji also says instead of using marijuana as an intoxicant, to instead use the fear of Waheguru as your intoxication.

Marijuana is an intoxicant. Guru Nanak Dev Ji makes this clear and if people doubt Guru Nanak Dev Ji, you can fall back on limited science and read research papers online that show Marijuana is indeed an intoxicant.

The APA has published that marijuana is in fact addictive in nature, something a lot of pot heads used to use as an argument saying it's not addictive.

I don't have a problem with using medicine, but there should be a reason. I agree with n30 veerji for the most part, perhaps this is an oral tradition, but if it is it had a specific purpose and that wasn't spirituality. It may have been a part of the kshatriya lifestyle and used as a practical means, now a days people abuse it and that much is clear. If you abuse anything, especially an intoxicant, the effects are horrible. Normal medicine we take such as cold medicine, pain killers or allergy medicine can be intoxicants, but if used for medicinal purposes to treat symptoms then it is okay.

The reason why a lot of people in the west are making a big deal out of this is because a lot of Sikhs in Punjab got addicted to this due to lack of education and claim it to be maryada to drink bhang all the time. Those who adhere to being Nihangs in the west and look up to certain individuals that they see as being true Nihangs find ways to justify taking bhang just for the sake of taking it.

We shouldn't really be having a discussion about this as it isn't important. Now a days we have medicine like acetaminophen and ibuprofen and for more serious injuries vicodin and anesthesia. The latter two can be abused and a person can become addicted if they don't respect what it's being used for.

Guru Sahiban included the Banis of Bhagats that were according to Gurmat so it doesn't matter what Bhagat Ji did, it's irrelevant to the Truth of Gurbani.

ਅਮਲ ਪਿਯਤ ਜੇ ਪੁਰਖ ਪਰੇ ਦਿਨ ਰੈਨਿ ਉਘਾਵਤ ॥ ਅਮਲ ਜੁ ਘਰੀ ਨ ਪਿਯਹਿ ਤਾਪ ਤਿਨ ਕਹ ਚੜਿ ਆਵਤ ॥ ਅਮਲ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਜੋ ਪੀਯੈ ਕਿਸੁ ਕਾਰਜ ਕੇ ਨਾਹੀ ॥ ਅਮਲ ਖਾਇ ਗੜ ਰਹੈ ਮ੍ਰਿਤਕ ਹ੍ਵੈ ਕੈ ਘਰ ਮਾਹੀ ॥੧੧॥

[/center]

The ones who use intoxicants feel sleepy all the time. And when they don’t get their dose then they feel feverish. And that person is good for nothing. He lies in his home like a dead person. (Charitropakhyan, Dasam Granth Sahib)

Bhang for medicine is good.

Bhang for other reasons is a no no but what do I know?

Big nihang sant like baba mitt Singh never took bhang or jhatka and some did.What do we know.When people become brahmgyanis then god will give us the answer.We are know where compared to sants etc so drop this topic.

Can this topic just end?

Veer Khalistani Gun Man Jee, you can try to justify marijuana any angle you like but it will still never be accepted in the Sikh faith. Nihangs claim they do it to uphold their warrior heritage. But that doesn't stand because in war you need to be alert. An alert sober warrior is always a better warrior than a drunken soldier. History is witness to this(Muslims vs Rajputs).

Then you try something new when you then try to justify it spiritually by bringing in the Naqshbandhis. This again doesn't stand. The Naqshbandis are the most strict sharia wise (rehetvaan) of all the Sufi orders. If some amongst them have now become deviants by consuming Bhang than that is not an example for us to follow, even the true Naqshbandis will consider such people as deviants.

We Sikhs follow the example of Bhagat Kabir Jee, Bhagat Naam Dev Jee, Dhru and Prahlaad Jee who were intoxicated by Naam Simran rather than some plant. In spirituality you need to be alert so you can focus on the object of your meditation. A drunkard can't focus in meditation. Ask any Sant Mahapursh and he will confirm this. When one becomes a Saadhak under the guidance of an experienced Mahapursh or Gursikh, the first thing the Mahapursh says is to stop taking drugs or anything that will make you drunk and thus lose focus in meditation.

If one wants to succeed in meditation it is wise for one to follow the sloks of Bhagat Kabir Jee who has written of obstacles in the form of certain foods which can hinder one's spiritual progress.