Sign in to follow this  
Guest Singh

Blessed With Amrit. Need Advice From Professional Amritdhari Sangat.

Guest Singh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I was blessed with Amrit and I haven't ever been happier, this is truly a blessing, it's like a rebirth and a commitment to a pure lifestyle. My mom didn't completely agree with it, but my dad did eventually. The reason my mom didn't was because she thought I wouldn't keep up with my professional goals (of becoming a licensed doctor here in USA) although I assured her that this will not effect my studies. My mom has a right to think this because I made a few mistakes in the past and wasn't completely serious, but I know for sure that it's in the past and I am ready to give it 100% along with keeping rehit. To cut a long story short, I convinced my dad that I can do it, but mom isn't so convinced.

What I'm asking is can any professional Singhs/Kaurs who follow rehit help me with ensuring I keep my rehit in tact and still am able to achieve my goal of keeping highly competitive grades to become a doctor and keep rehit in tact. I am willing to give up distractions that otherwise would distract people.

One thing that I foresee being a challenge (but nothing that can't be overcome with the right approach) is when final exams come around. The cramming and packing of information and then waking up to attend an exam early in the morning.

I know the key is time management, but It's always helpful to get advice from sangat who have pursued professional careers without sacrificing any of their rehit.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

when i went through law school i noticed that people used alcohol to relax. as a sikh, you can use your amritvela naam bani to relax. it has the added advantage of helping with concentration. but since you need to keep up the amritvela even on exam day you need a bit of an edge. i've also seen singhs at university walking back from class while reciting rehrass to save time. besides studying throughout the term at a reasonable level that doesn't burn you out, you also need to work out and eat right to ensure your body and mind are kept at their sharpest. basically, what i'm saying is sharpen the saw. also, in sharda pooran granth there is a viddhi to learn new knowledge involving meditation on the vidya vichaarae shabad. look it up from PJS's scribd account.

the sad truth is, if you do a lot of paath, to succeed during the more intense times in your career, you may need to cut back to the minimum. but it's not all bad. i know a singh who does 100 japji sahibs a day during the summer, and much less during the school year. so in the end, it doesn't have to cause any long term harm to your sikhi. when i studied i almost always played gurmantr jaap on my laptop and i found it helped me to stay relaxed. i noticed that at some level the brain does register it.

• Like 1

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

I honestly sometimes feel that the only way to survive being a doctor is by having a good foundation in Sikhi. The pressure at medical school and during your job can only be overcome with Guru Ji's help. So many people look to drugs or alcohol as a way to de-stress. They are so unfortunate...

It's a shame that your parents see your Amrit as being a hinderance when in actual fact you've been blessed with something which will help you through any situation in life.

Time management is critical. Don't leave assignments or revision until the last minute. Don't believe your colleagues when they say they do that. Perhaps they do, but it's stupid. Much better to do a little bit everyday and then reward yourself with something nice like a Rensabai at the end of the week than leave it all to the end.

You will start the year feeling really positive and then you will slip, and then you will realise that you should have revised much earlier, and then you will learn the hard way (by failing an exam) and then the next year you will ace everything because you learned your lesson!

If you start your day well by doing your Simran and Nitnem your day will go so much easier and it will be a joy to study. You've chosen one of the best jobs in the world, doing seva for others for the rest of your life can only uplift you. Remind yourself of this whenever it gets tough.

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

• Like 2

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Topics

• Sidh Gohst is a Sikh Prayer... (i hope u weren't being sarcastic)? Prayer came about when Guru Nanak Ji had an assembly (gohst) with Sidhs, hence the name Sidh Gohst. The prayer is like a Q&A session where Sidhs ask n Guru Ji answers... NOW! Who been telling me to stick t learning about Sidh Gohst?? ūüėĒ
    • Get a normal bike n ride it. Road bike u can go far n fast so it's advantageous. Second bike type, ideal for short distant travelling n cycle at own leisure... Totally forgot wha the types called though I own one. Not mountain bike something else.
    • Is that Harpreet's mugshot? Lol! We need to understand y they committed a crime. Obviously for money but what lead them? For their age appears they had a hard life or "hard" life (depends how u look at it) and thas it! They understood the phenomenon of dog eat dog world. So they took a drastic step and failed... Of course they could've succeeded.
    • and also, as your next post alludes to, naamdharis also take khanday dee pahul, and actually most of them do compared to "us" mainstream sikhs. naamdharis are also much closer to rehit than some of these jathabandis we have now corrupt the panth since colonial times. However naamdharis are missing the kshatriya rehit of khalsa, ie the warrior maryada. I think a lot of "sikh" children would easily get influenced by christian schools due to lack of sikhi knowledge, and this includes those who go to these schools in India as well Yes, Khalsa sikhs used to learn from other sikh sampradaiye as well when it came to spiritual gyaan and sikhi knowledge. Obviously for learning there are no strict rules, however other rules are different for khalsa sikhs as they need to follow the military rules as well compared to sehajdhari "civilian" sikhs. And this is funny, but would learning from a harmonium teacher harm your sikhi, as it takes you away from learning sikh/Gurus' instruments? I would find it harmful for someone to teach that crazy keertan which plays at many rehnsbhais,¬†ūü§£ūüėā
    • I have been reading some the posts over the last week and all I have seen is the constant squabbling and negative¬†judgemental attitude towards each other. ¬† Whether we like like it or not we are a community made up of people from all walks of lives. ¬†Our temperaments¬†are different, some hot¬†and some cold. ¬†Some of us want to do things for now and some for longer term goals. ¬†Some want to take a militant approach and some diplomatic. ¬†This is not unique to us this has been the case for all communities trying achieve goals in a struggle. ¬†Malcom X‚Äôs ideology was different from Martin Luther Kings but ultimately the goal was the same. ¬†Bhagat Singhs ideology was different from the All India¬†Congress but the goal was ultimately the same. ¬†Nelson Mandela was hot blooded when he was young but later switched to more diplomatic solutions for South Africa. ¬†The same can be observed from figures throughout all of¬†history and never has everyone collectively agreed upon one single method of achieving community goals. ¬† Just pick the organisations,¬†groups and temperaments¬†that you feel you can gel with and quit the bashing of each other. ¬†I‚Äôm sure by doing we would be more united,¬†be more¬†powerful and achieve so much¬†more than ultimately searching¬†for the one miracle pill to solve our issues.¬†

Important Information

Terms of Use