New York (Tolerance Of Sikhs)

Kalsingh

I am thinking about going to New York for this work experience programme. I am from London. I have been thinking about it for years but I have been putting it off due to the feeling/concern/fear that I won't be accepted and maybe even attacked (verbally and even physically). As I have heard countless stories of attacks on Sikhs in New York. I remember reading somewhere that a study was done and it found that 60 per cent of New York sikh school children are harrassed on a daily basis.

I have told some of my peers my concerns (mostly non sikhs so they probably can't understand) and they tell me that if I think like this then I won't end up doing anything in life. But I mean c'mon. I want to go somewhere not just for the place but for the people too, I want to feel welcome. The programme is for a year. It is quite a long time from my point of view then.

What is it really like for Sikhs in New York and what is the sangats opinions and advice on my dilema?

Thanks

Where in NY? I have lived here for many years in upstate NY and nothing has ever happened. Sure you get the occasional dirty look but nothing else.

If NYC, don't worry. People dress much stranger there and no one looks twice. Just use common sense

Also, never be afraid to do anything because you are worried as how people will react. Wherever you go there will be people who don't like you. But don't let that stop you from living your life. Your peers are right. Think like that and you won't get anything done in life.

As for the whole America and Sikhs deal, I have traveled all across the US, even to the South, and nothing has ever happened. America isn't the white racist nation the media tells you about

Used to get stares, occasionally heckled. However, a lot of nice people as well.

Since the Wisconsin shooting, people are really friendly. No more stares. People try to talk to you. They finally figured out who we are.

I think you should come to New York, if you want to. There is plenty of sangat here. You will enjoy yourself.

singher23, I would be staying in New Port New Jersey and the work experience would be anywhere in Manhattan I understand. Once/if I apply and get accepted, only then will I know exactly where. In terms of Staten Island, do you mean its just a dangerous place anyway (regardless of who you are) or is there a reason for Sikhs to be particularly careful?

On a sidenote, I do not wear a dastar (even here in the UK). I have my own personal reasons for this (please stay on topic and please don't ask me why). I tie my hair in a bun at the back of my head and sport an open beard. Some people may think I'm muslim, some may think I'm a hippie, lol. Don't really care though. I wish to wear a dastar in the future at some point but I can't see it being any time soon and especially by next year (when I plan to go to the states). In terms of the strange way people dress in NYC you were saying singher23, I guess I may fit in pretty well then, lol.

Yup, I'd expect a lot more change since Wisconsin. God works in mysterious ways. The shootings side effect was helpful awareness being raised.

Edit: no dastar means you'll prob just be a strange Mexican dude with a British accent there according to them :p drops your harassment chances, tho im not sure why you don't wear one. I'm afraid people might think of Sikhs as hippies, as you said, if we don't wear one and cause our image to go down, but to each his own beer :)

Yup, I'd expect a lot more change since Wisconsin. God works in mysterious ways. The shootings side effect was helpful awareness being raised.

Edit: no dastar means you'll prob just be a strange Mexican dude with a British accent there according to them :p drops your harassment chances

Haha, yeah you will probabaly get more stares without the dastaar. Lol.

New York police finally allowed Sikhs officers to wear dastaars. This happened right after the shooting. I expect to see a lot more sardars in the force.

Haha, yeah you will probabaly get more stares without the dastaar. Lol.

Yeah, true, lol. But to be honest, stares I can deal with. Unless its a staring down type of thing, then I have a tendency to really flip, depends on my mood. That's the problem. I'm not one to walk away from a potential punga. I wish I was. I can have a temper and a half if I feel like I'm being harassed. Don't want to fly out there for this programme for work experience with a major company and get sent back home a week later with a criminal charge for GBH, lol. I don't think I'm hard or nothing so I fear for my own safety too, because as I said, I can find it difficult to walk away, who knows what could happen then.