New York (Tolerance Of Sikhs)

Kalsingh

While on the topic of Sikhi saroop, what do you guys think about sardars with earrings? I know rehat says no, and from a Sikh perspective it's altering God's creation. If He wanted us to wear earrings then we would be born with holes in our ears.

But then I came across this pic of a young Maharaja Ranjit Singh.

http://www.google.co...r:29,s:173,i:96

I've seen similar pics of other Sikh maharajas with earrings, so what's the deal?

Here's a pic of Maharaja Bhupinder Singh rockin' stud earrings.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=sikh+maharaja&um=1&hl=en&client=safari&sa=N&rls=en&biw=1658&bih=753&tbm=isch&tbnid=3OjZ0CBArwiLcM:&imgrefurl=http://www.sikharchives.com/%3Fp%3D394&docid=Xdm1Eq0B2leenM&imgurl=http://www.sikharchives.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Maharaja-Bhupinder-Singh.jpg&w=800&h=527&ei=bP83UMfnCMT50gGevYCQCw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=491&vpy=155&dur=1253&hovh=182&hovw=277&tx=179&ty=70&sig=118229050538687033059&page=1&tbnh=134&tbnw=175&start=0&ndsp=42&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0,i:82

In general, I don't think we should be looking at the Maharaja's for advice about Sikhi. Maharaja Ranjit Singh did many things that are not acceptable in Sikhi.

When one is doing direct damage to a nation, it is not an acceptable response to say the more “responsible citizens” of the nation are not quite perfect or they are not embracing/respecting me, therefore my irresponsibility is their fault. No society reasons in that manner

I was not implying this in the slightest. I am perpelexed at how you have come to this conclusion.

you stated ....."But then, maybe you should be telling all the pug wale around, and to be honest even some amritdharis that they cannot call themselves keshdharis and amridharis as by the fourth masters definition himself, one who calls himself a sikh shall rise in the ambrosial hours, have a bath and meditate on the name. I know you know half of the so called singhs don't even do that, so go tell them to stop calling them sikhs too."....sorry if I misunderstood you, regardless that is applicable perhaps not to you, but it is reasoning used a great deal

Do you know what though, you are probably right about people like me, monas, trim singhs, cap wearers etc bringing the image of Sikhi down. But, and here's the big but, IT IS NOT THEIR FAULT OR PROBLEM. I am very sorry for using capitals there brother but I want you to understand this, no offence intended.

no offence taken at all bro

It is peoples ignorance and close mindedness and one dimensional way of thinking that allows people like me, trim singhs, cap wearers to bring Sikhi down. It should not bring the image down in the slightest if you were to look at it in terms of everyone is a student. Some are further in their studies than others but they are still students. Some are more serious than others but again, they are still students.

I trust YOU are a student. However lets face the facts. For the most part those who claim Sikhi, claim they are studying, spend their entire lives figuratively "sitting in the university pub". Where enrollment is unrestricted and the teaching is the best in the world, those drunken students are damaging the University. In Sikhi, the action defines the student, not the label. As for you it's understandable if you come to the school without the school uniform and eventually put one on. That is most admirable. But walking around wearing one pants leg of the uniform with the other cut off is a strange way to show your commitment to the school. Similarily, wonderful that you have grown your hair out. However, the dastar is part of that.

If I were an outsider (not of the Sikh faith) let's say a white american christian, and I were to look at all these Sikhs and know this (what I have told you above) I would not be confused in the slightest. (I do admit that the people like me, monas and whoever should not say we are perfect sikhs. No one should say that. Maybe your annoyance is coming from when monas tell non sikhs they are sikh and that kesh is not needed, it is all about how you are on the inside? I wouldn't blame you for that). The christians have the same thing going on, those who practice and those who only occasionally pray or whatever. That is not how we want it but I'm afraid that is how it is man. That's how the world works. A human was not created instantly with five fingers (if you believe in evolution). It took years for the fingers to develop and materialise. Same way, you cannot expect all the monas or whoever to suddenly start wearing pugris and by saying they are damaging the sikh nation is not just incorrect, it is damaging to the potential possibilty of them embracing sikhi to the levels you want in the future.

Embracing Sikhi is a person's own perogative. it does not concern me if people do not wish to embrace Sikhi. it does concern me if people claim Sikhi to be a birthright/ie. caste. My concern is respecting and preserving Sikhi for Sikhi and for those who wish to embrace it.