Jathedar Baba Hanuman Singh Ji Shaheed

People do come up with fantasy stories especially when it concerns Nihangs. The reasons given for the murderous assault on Maharja Ranjit Singh was due to his allowing the British representatives to enter Punjab. If the Nihangs were so far sighted then why did they not assassinate the Dogras? It was the Lahore army which killed Hira Singh Dogra. The story about Sham Singh Attariwala appears to be an attempt to brush some of the glory of Sham Singh onto Hanuman Singh. Sham Singh had been a great general of the Khalsa army, he was a Jagirdar who would have paid for and supplied a jagirdari contingent to the Khalsa army so he was not exactly without an army as the account claims.

The deaths of 15,000 Nihangs at Patiala might have a basis in a minor skirmish between Nihangs and the Patiala Maharaja but really, 15,000 deaths are more than the number that the Khalsa army lost at Sabraon. If Nihang accounts claim that the number was 30,000 then this just shows how fantasy stories are created and then lose even the minor relationship thay they might have had with reality.

As for the shoot on sight order against Nihangs this appear to be another fantasy. The British were not exactly shy of committing atrocities but there is no record of a shoot on sight order or even records of atrocities committed against Nihangs. Only a decade later the British committed many atrocities against the mutineers even destroying entire villages where British civilians had been murdered and those records are there for all to see.

Didnt i tell you to get yourself sorted out...your blatant hatred and dislike for nihangs is unhealthy...i suggest you see a doctor about it

if you call this a lie....please tell me how a akaali fauj numbering in the tens of thousands dwindled to low as a few hundred nihangs in the space of a few decades...if they were not hunted down and persecuted...please tell me how they become a powerful force to facing extinction....

read coloner steinbachs account on nihaangs and how he loathed them and wished for their extinction...what do you think he told the british to do when he switched sides?...practically all accounts written in that time frame from westerners is of dislike for the akaalis...they were hated because they were the only group who would not tolerate the firangi...

This was an honest post about the memeory of jathedar baba hanuman singh ji...and you have to come on here in an attempt to destroy his legacy and put his name in the mud...clear off if you have nothing positive to say

Is there anything at Gurdwara Dukh Niwaran Sahib to commemorate this? Thats alsmost as manySikhs that died in Wadda Ghallughara.

If the Buddha Dal account is more accurate, then thats thats even more Sikhs dying than the Wadda Ghallughara.

KGM, Do you have any dates or months for this battle, at least we could commemorate this event in the calendar month?

Veer i will trying finding out the date from a few singhs...From what i know it is acknowledged and commemorated in the calendar year of the dal...but not outside the dal...most likely because people dont know...and the ones who do know... for beliefs and jathebandi reasons dont want to acknowledge and accept shaheedi of akaalis

A question was actually put forward that the remains should be dug up and cremated...i have no idea if there will be an attempt to retrieve the remains...but i hope there is...atleast then the shaheedi of these singhs can be proven and a memorial can be set up

British sources could be biased as for the reasons for the attack. I would imagine they would be arrogant and try to paint the Nihang Singhs in as much of a demonic way possible.

I agree with you on the rest, figures have probably been exaggerated. Any specific books you all would recommend to read about Sikh history from 1700s-Sikh Raj-Fall of Sikh Empire??

Best books are probably by Hari Ram Gupta who wrote History of the Sikhs and Surjit Singh Gandhi 'Struggle of the Sikhs for sovereignity' and 'Sikhs in the eighteenth century'. There are lot of books written by British travellers and officials during the 19th century but you need to be weary of the bias

The story of 32,000 Nihangs suddenly appearing in Patiala after the battle of Sabraon doesn't ring true. If it was a band of a few hundreds then that seems more likely. An army of 32,000 could have disrupted the British lines of communication and cut off the British army just as they were about to cross the Satluj. Going into British territory and then into Patiala state doesn't seem to have been a good strategy when the British had only won a few battles and there were still 30,000 odd Khalsa army troops in the territory of the Lahore Durbar. Why leave the safety of your own territory and then venture into the territory of the the Maharaja who had just helped the British against your state? If the event happened after the second Anglo-Sikh war then that is more likely as the British had annexed the Punjab. After sabraon the British also would not have many troops in Patiala state or nearby as their next step was to cross the Satluj and they would have relied on the Maharaja of Patiala to keep their lines of communication open.

Yes, this is all fictional history about Nihangs. These are the same people who have hard time believing that Santa Singh was the biggest traitor for Sikh religion, and this happened less than 30 years ago (i.e., what Santa Singh did in 1984). Just imagine what their history will be for the events that happened 200 years ago!

What love to see what DalSingh has to say about this. I find his posts to be balanced and he is quite well read in Sikh ithihaas.

I do believe exaggeration of history and using it for your own agenda/twisting it is a grave disrespect to the memory of what happened and takes away from the depth of our history.