Jathedar Baba Hanuman Singh Ji Shaheed

Isn't it right to say he was the caretaker or leader of Misl Shaheedan, not Budha Dal. I don't think it was called Budha Dal then although Budha Dal came from Misl Shaheedan, just like Damdami Taksal wasn't called that then either.

Oh man, what I'd give to travel back in time.

Isn't it right to say he was the caretaker or leader of Misl Shaheedan, not Budha Dal. I don't think it was called Budha Dal then although Budha Dal came from Misl Shaheedan, just like Damdami Taksal wasn't called that then either.

Oh man, what I'd give to travel back in time.

Dal panth was seperated into two groups...Tarnal Dal and Bhudda dal...bhudda dal was essentially the governing body and all dals/battalions accepted their authority... Baba Hanuman Singh ji was jathedar of the Bhudda Dal...he was jathedar of the whole panth at one time...following the jathedari of akaali phoola singh...its a shame the average sikh doesnt even know who he was ...

All misls were Tarna Dal and Tarna dal fell under Bhudda Dal's control...Misl Shaheedan was the dal of Shaheed Baba Deep Singh Ji who was a jathedar within Tarna Dal... Modern day Taksalis are basically an offshoot of Tarna Dal Misl Shaheedan..at one time they were one and the same...

Apologies for any mistakes

They were Hindu advisors that the Akalis loathed because they knew their colors. They brain washed MRS into doing a lot of bad things and making horrible decisions that contributed to the fall of the Sikh empire. There are medical reports of after MRS's death many honest GurSikhs of the court were assassinated at night time. The Nihangs actually tried to assassinate MRS once because they saw what was happening as they were very intelligent and had pure jeevans.

A few of the first things these traitors did after the close fall of the empire was steal from the Khalsa treasury and buy land in Kashmir.

The British army and their Sikh stooges opened up cannon fire on the Sikhs. 15,000 Sikhs attained martyrdom at the spot where Gurdwara Dukh Niwaran now stands in the district of Patiala. Budha Dal oral tradition states that 32,000 Singhs became shaheed during this battle.

Is there anything at Gurdwara Dukh Niwaran Sahib to commemorate this? Thats alsmost as manySikhs that died in Wadda Ghallughara.

If the Buddha Dal account is more accurate, then thats thats even more Sikhs dying than the Wadda Ghallughara.

KGM, Do you have any dates or months for this battle, at least we could commemorate this event in the calendar month?

People do come up with fantasy stories especially when it concerns Nihangs. The reasons given for the murderous assault on Maharja Ranjit Singh was due to his allowing the British representatives to enter Punjab. If the Nihangs were so far sighted then why did they not assassinate the Dogras? It was the Lahore army which killed Hira Singh Dogra. The story about Sham Singh Attariwala appears to be an attempt to brush some of the glory of Sham Singh onto Hanuman Singh. Sham Singh had been a great general of the Khalsa army, he was a Jagirdar who would have paid for and supplied a jagirdari contingent to the Khalsa army so he was not exactly without an army as the account claims.

The deaths of 15,000 Nihangs at Patiala might have a basis in a minor skirmish between Nihangs and the Patiala Maharaja but really, 15,000 deaths are more than the number that the Khalsa army lost at Sabraon. If Nihang accounts claim that the number was 30,000 then this just shows how fantasy stories are created and then lose even the minor relationship thay they might have had with reality.

I'd like to point out just because modern nihangs are making up things about Akalis of old, it doesnt take away from Akalis like Baba Hanuman Singh and Baba Phoola Singh.

As for the assassination would it not be right to say it was an accumulation of decisions made by MRS? Not sure though. Where do you usually read your history pertaining to this subject ?

As for the assassination attempt on Maharja Ranjit Singh, a British traveller, I forget who mentions at attempt while he was in the Maharaja's camp. In the attempt the Nihang had stuck the guard with a sword and cut off his nose. The Maharaja, I think then order the Nihang's nose to be cut as well as his ears.

British sources could be biased as for the reasons for the attack. I would imagine they would be arrogant and try to paint the Nihang Singhs in as much of a demonic way possible.

I agree with you on the rest, figures have probably been exaggerated. Any specific books you all would recommend to read about Sikh history from 1700s-Sikh Raj-Fall of Sikh Empire??