Karma Paradox

As sikhs, we should not be worrying about karma or past lives..etc..

Gurbani is for Here and Now- this very jeevan. This life that your living right now.

We should be concerned for doing better than good deeds so that one can rise above the confines of karma that are only in proportion to our ''aana jaanaa' (our coming and goings).

Sikhs do not worry about karma or why they are given a bad deal in this life, they accept it as hukam.

Only the hindu way of life advises them to do good so that they get a better deal in their next life.

For us Sikhs, we are to live by the gurbani so that there is no next life, we are to rise above these very confines.

Hope that makes a little sense.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki Fateh

This is not a complex topic.

On the other hand, you can only reach Vaheguru in this life if your actions were good in your previous life.

Who says that? Karmi Aave Kapra, Nadri Mokh Duar- Japji sahib. The fact that you have this human life form means that you have an opportunity to be able to reach God. Your past life's actions or even your present life's actions does not guarantree or exluclude you from reaching God, but it certainly was good enough to put you in this position where you are contemplating Gurbani and thinking about God.

Yes, along the way you may have to pay for your past actions and living a Gursikhi jeevan and always remembering God can negate this to some extent. Furthermore do not forget that God/ can wipe out sins in seconds if he is pleased with your devotion.

Finally, we cannot understand how hukam works, "hukam is by His hukam". hukam does not mean 'order', nor does it mean everything it destined and nothing can be changed. It is more complex than that. I suggest not worrying about hukam at this point, it will become clearer at a different level I'm sure. Do simran.

(Ignore above post, I can't edit for some reason). Updated version below:

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki Fateh

This is not a complex topic.

On the other hand, you can only reach Vaheguru in this life if your actions were good in your previous life.

Who says that? Karmi Aave Kapra, Nadri Mokh Duar- Japji sahib. The fact that you have this human life form means that you have an opportunity to be able to reach God. Your past life's actions or even your present life's actions does not guarantree or exclude you from reaching God, but it certainly was good enough to put you in this position where you are contemplating Gurbani and thinking about God. It's essentially irrelevant to think about past life actions. If you have to pay for past actions in this life, you will. It may be argued that living a Gursikhi jeevan and always remembering God can negate 'bad karm'. Furthermore do not forget that God/ can wipe out sins in seconds if he is pleased with your devotion. As per hukam we just leave it to God, so it's pointless thinking about any past karma, it is indeed a moot discussion/academic debate which is really pointless, because we cannot define karm or hukam or anything else, our feeble minds know nothing. We like to define and describe but even sants will tell you it's very complex to put into words.

So just Focus on Sikhi and you're good to go!

• 6 years later...
On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2012 at 1:25 AM, GamerSingh said:

In Sikhism, one's ultimate goal is to become one with waheguru sache patshah during this human life and achieve mukti from the cycle of rebirth. By attaching ourselves to naam, we achieve this goal.

This coincides with another Sikh belief that you reap what you sow. Whatever one has done in their previous life, effects them in their present life (whether positively or negatively). This is essentially the concept of karma.

Now, this is where God's hukam comes in. In Gurbani, it is stated that one can only obtain naam by Waheguru's grace and whatever happens is in order with Waheguru's hukam. In a sense, a person can only reach Waheguru if this is what Waheguru wishes, otherwise, a person is lost in the world of maya.

On the other hand, you can only reach Vaheguru in this life if your actions were good in your previous life. However, if in your previous life, it was not ordained that you did good deeds and prayed on god's name, and thus, in your present life, you are stuck with bad karma, how is this the person's fault?

I'm missing something here as Gurbani always has an answer - I was just hoping someone knows where in Gurbani lies the answer to this. I would also like whether or not the concept of karma itself exists in Sikhism or if it is something kathavachiks mixed in from Hinduism.

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this because I am seriously confused.

Sorry for like 7 year old reply. Searched "Paradox" n landed here.

Thing with doing Naam Jaap, your karma reduce down drastically. A few bumps n grinds in yer jivan will take place.

Gurbani tells us to have faith in Guru Ji, benefits of Naam Jap and Karma d nasht ho jande aa.