Shastar vidiya vs gatka

That's a fair point babbar veer. Bhagti is father of all shastar vidya but with that being said, there is nothing wrong learning the shastar vidya as part of keeping art alive as equally there is nothing wrong with learning raag kirtan as part of keeping the raag vidya/art alive.

I keep saying this but there is nothing wrong with shastar vidya, raag vidya or vidya of any kind or puratan traditions but what's wrong is people perception of taking these vidya to another level of idolization where it actually becomes road block or hindrance to bhagti.

Guns are effective but what you do...when other party wants to engage in hand to hand combat..?? What you do? It be cowardice to still use gun, and it be suicidal to engage in hand to hand combat when only thing you learnt is modern day gatka.!!

If there's ever a zombie apocalypse my first mode would be my guns. When I can't reload sword jhatkaing all the zombies and then using my gandasa/axe (forgot the proper Punjabi name given to it was) to their faces.

When tutti hits the fan you forget all your karate sharate and you just kill. Someone who is physically fit, has combat experience with what he's using and is fearless makes all the difference.

Shastar vidiya is the knowledge of weapons. Simple.

Shastarvidya is more than that..from what i have learnt spending one day about alignment, misalignment in attack mode/defense mode.. its quite technical need lot of practice ..i forgot all about it as i m not serious about learning shastar vidya but.singhs actually do abhyas when they do pentra like how they engage and everything..so it flows naturally..!! may be someone else can elighten further?

Shastarvidya is more than that..from what i have learnt spending one day about alignment, misalignment in attack mode/defense mode.. its quite technical need lot of practice ..i forgot all about it as i m not serious about learning shastar vidya but.singhs actually do abhyas when they do pentra like how they engage and everything..so it flows naturally..!! may be someone else can elighten further?

I don't disagree, but it's more of a practical thing that even people who don't prescribe to thinking it's a lost art can learn.

There is a lot of skill in swordsmanship, but it's mostly practice and fearlessness. I'll post some of my favorite swordmanship videos in fitness section to share with sangat. :D