is there anything written about keeping hair and beard for sikhs in guru granth sahib?

Guest peace preachers

Hello, I have a couple of questions which actually arose from the discussions above. If keeping hair is the only way to achieve salvation or total Mukti (besides the fact that one has to follow and connect with Gurbani and preach the name of god from heart) then does it mean that people from other religions can never ever be able to be liberated from this painful cycle of taking births again and again?

1. Hindus, Christians and Muslims all cut their hair so does it means it is necessary for them to born in a Sikh family, keep their hair and follow all the rules of Rehat nama to finally be liberated with god once and all? so they can't liberate through their religions and its teachings?

2. So which means there is no one god? because the hair conditions are way different. Jesus and Mohammad may have long hair but they never ever gave any emphasis on keeping hair.

I am not being offensive to anyone but it's just my habit to be curious about things. Any type of comments are welcome as long as they are not meant to offend.

• 3 weeks later...

is there anything written about keeping hair and beard for sikhs in guru granth sahib?

a person should be sikh from heart or from is looks ????????

SGGS And 1380

फरीदा सिरु पलिआ दाड़ी पली मुछां भी पलीआं ॥
Farīḏā sir pali▫ā ḏāṛī palī mucẖẖāʼn bẖī palī▫āʼn.
Fareed, your hair has turned grey, your beard has turned grey, and your moustache has turned grey.
रे मन गहिले बावले माणहि किआ रलीआं ॥५५॥
Re man gahile bāvle māṇėh ki▫ā ralī▫āʼn. ||55||
O my thoughtless and insane mind, why are you indulging in pleasures? ||55||
कबीर मनु मूंडिआ नही केस मुंडाए कांइ ॥
Kabīr man mūʼndi▫ā nahī kes mundā▫e kāʼn▫e.
Kabeer, you have not shaved your mind, so why do you shave your head?
जो किछु कीआ सो मन कीआ मूंडा मूंडु अजांइ ॥१०१॥
Jo kicẖẖ kī▫ā so man kī▫ā mūʼndā mūnd ajāʼn▫e. ||101||
Whatever is done, is done by the mind; it is useless to shave your head. ||101||
SGGS Ang 1217
नैनहु संगि संतन की सेवा चरन झारी केसाइओ ॥
Nainhu sang sanṯan kī sevā cẖaran jẖārī kesā▫i▫o.
With my eyes I see the Saints, and dedicate myself to serving them; I wash their feet with my hair.

SGGS Ang 1378

देखु फरीदा जु थीआ दाड़ी होई भूर ॥
Ḏekẖ Farīḏā jo thī▫ā ḏāṛī ho▫ī bẖūr.
See, Fareed, what has happened: your beard has become grey.
अगहु नेड़ा आइआ पिछा रहिआ दूरि ॥९॥
Agahu neṛā ā▫i▫ā picẖẖā rahi▫ā ḏūr. ||9||
That which is coming is near, and the past is left far behind. ||9||
फरीदा कालीं जिनी न राविआ धउली रावै कोइ ॥
Farīḏā kālīʼn jinī na rāvi▫ā ḏẖa▫ulī rāvai ko▫e.
Fareed, those who did not enjoy their Spouse when their hair was black - hardly any of them enjoy Him when their hair turns grey.
करि सांई सिउ पिरहड़ी रंगु नवेला होइ ॥१२॥
Kar sāʼn▫ī si▫o pirhaṛī rang navelā ho▫e. ||12||
So be in love with the Lord, so that your color may ever be new. ||12||
फरीदा काली धउली साहिबु सदा है जे को चिति करे ॥
Farīḏā kālī ḏẖa▫ulī sāhib saḏā hai je ko cẖiṯ kare.
Fareed, whether one's hair is black or grey, our Lord and Master is always here if one remembers Him.

SGGS Ang 1379

फरीदा मै भोलावा पग दा मतु मैली होइ जाइ ॥
Farīḏā mai bẖolāvā pag ḏā maṯ mailī ho▫e jā▫e.
Fareed, I was worried that my turban might become dirty.
गहिला रूहु न जाणई सिरु भी मिटी खाइ ॥२६॥
Gahilā rūhu na jāṇ▫ī sir bẖī mitī kẖā▫e. ||26||
My thoughtless self did not realize that one day, dust will consume my head as well. ||26||

Hello, I have a couple of questions which actually arose from the discussions above. If keeping hair is the only way to achieve salvation or total Mukti (besides the fact that one has to follow and connect with Gurbani and preach the name of god from heart) then does it mean that people from other religions can never ever be able to be liberated from this painful cycle of taking births again and again?

1. Hindus, Christians and Muslims all cut their hair so does it means it is necessary for them to born in a Sikh family, keep their hair and follow all the rules of Rehat nama to finally be liberated with god once and all? so they can't liberate through their religions and its teachings?

I think everyone needs to follow their own religion and guru. As long as the religion and prophet teaches to connect to god and conquer ego,then they will be liberated. It says in gurbani the best religion is to meditate on gods name and do good deeds, so whichever religion promotes this is a religion capable of liberation. Though i think Hinduism originally advocated keeping hair, but i could be wrong...

2. So which means there is no one god? because the hair conditions are way different. Jesus and Mohammad may have long hair but they never ever gave any emphasis on keeping hair.

I am not being offensive to anyone but it's just my habit to be curious about things. Any type of comments are welcome as long as they are not meant to offend.

Totally interesting if this is how we reincarnate. No wonder we just cant remember our past lives!!!

http://www.seasofmintaka.com/deceased-loved-ones.html

This has no basis in Sikhi and it's assessment of how the person (soul) controls when he leaves or comes out of reincarnation is against the principles of Sikhi. Vaheguru controls when a person comes and goes. The command is in Vaheguru's hand. Such links only take a person away from Vaheguru. The law/relationship between soul and Vaheguru is demostrated in Gurbani. Please move people forward by providing Shabads of Gurbani on such topics.

• 2 weeks later...

True, however spiritual knowledge is universal and sikhism is a universal religion. Understanding the spiritual is so tricky that you can read anything but choose what to believe. Sometimes these things which are not even based on God help to guide us towards him.

For instance some years ago - I found a book the wisdom of the ages in the library. It was full of what happens to the soul and how we are born and other such stuff. It also talked about 14 worlds - 7 of which exist under the earth. Hell was assumed to be the deepest. Recently after 25 years while reading the meanings of log chaudhe ke vikhe of sauvaiye I read Guru Gobind Singh Jis bani stating about these worlds or layers where our soul which go and digest the knowledge acquired from this life.

I watching a video of Anita Murjani who got healed from severe cancer after having experienced an after death experience. She does not connect her experience directly to any religion. However her videos greatly inspired me to search what happens after death and I turned to religion to look for the answers.

Reading and knowing is different to believing. Beliefs only come after you have listened and what you have taken in makes sense and you can connect the missing dots successfully. There are so many holes in our understanding which need to be filled in. That is why we are still searching because our understanding of the divine processes and the divine beings themselves is limited. Just like a study of the Bible does not necessarily mean that you are a Christian automatically, reading about spirituality which does not link directly to God does not mean you will stop believing in God. It may lead you directly to trust your scriptures which already have all these truths said in them. It is only we who have not taken the time to understand their deeper meanings.

Sometimes we need to listen to katha or have someone explain to us these concepts in a different manner and then they make complete sense. This is from where we develop our faith which is then unbreakable and strong.

• 1 month later...

But every superstition has a great logic they r not meaning less..!

What logic can one gain from a superstition? They are meaningless.

First one should define what a superstition is:

Simple Definition of superstition: a belief or way of behaving that is based on fear of the unknown and faith in magic or luck : a belief that certain events or things will bring good or bad luck.

Eg: a black cat crossing one's path, or not washing hair on so and so day. These are superstitions and completely meaningless with no logic.

Sikhi rejects superstitions and useless rituals.