halal meat

Guest Jo

Please can I have some advise. I understand that Sikh's do not eat halal meat. If a sikh/group of sikhs went to a non religous college and found only halal meat (and 2 vegetarian) choices available for lunch, would they a) be offended at only being offered halal meat and b) would it cause them to not book onto a coutrse again because of it, or would they simply have a veggie choice and not be bothered.

if it is a case of they would be offeneded can you say is this due to the method of killing halal meat or the religous implications of its killing (eg the prayer to allah)

thank you

I dont think many sikhs would be bothered they would just choose the veggie option even if it was jhakta meat the majority would choose veggie option!

Hard to offend when its someone elses religion, think again majority of sikhs would dislike the method of killing ie painful for the animal rather than the prayer that is offered up!

I agree with Bhaiji above..

However, I'd like to add that it is a shame that colleges do decide to go halal as I'm sure if other minority groups had different food preference they would not change for them. Shame to restrict choices as we all know not all Sikhs agree with being vegetarian (I am myself so not speaking on my behalf lol). If some students do eat halal and are a minority in the college, surely it would be better for them to bring their own lunch.

Just my two cents.. :happy2:

In the past, halaal meat was prepared and eaten by Muslims only. Similar to kosher meat and Jews. Eating of halaal meat was forbidden - it was akin to accepting being a Muslim.

Sikhs who are baptised are generally vegetarian and this includes food being prepared away from meat.

Sikhs who are not baptised may be vegetarian or non-vegetarian depending on their choices.

A very few number of Sikhs who eat meat would eat halaal meat knowingly. Hence it would be best to put up a sign saying meat was halaal meat.

The question is would non-Muslims knowingly eat halaal meat?

A very few number of Sikhs who eat meat would eat halaal meat knowingly.

Paaji, this is not true. The majority of Sikhs who eat meat do not care what kind of meat it is, Most of them know the place where they are eating is serves halaal meat unless of course they miss the huge halaal signs outside! I have even pointed it out to them in the past. Most of the restaurants owned by Sikhs also use halaal meat, knowingly. Im not sure where you are based but this is certainly the case in the U.K. Pagal hogai sare!!