desire to trim my beard

Guest random guy

Satsriakal everyone

I am a sikh boy,20 years old and I am a proud gursikh who has lately had an urge to trim my beard. I have been doing a lot of research on this but have not come across a reasonable argument. Why is it that me making a personal life decision of trimming my beard might move me away from my sikhi in the eyes of others. The reason why I would want to trim my beard is because I would feel more comfortable and neat. I proudly wear a turban and will always carry on wearing it with pride and honour.

Some of the reasons which I came across were that our Gurus kept their honour and many sikh men have given their lives to protect this honour. I completely agree with this and I understand we should never move away form the religion but slightly trimming the beard just to be more comfortable and make it look neat? is that not acceptable?

other reason was that we should respect how god has created us and should live in the natural form but then should we not factor in the advancements and change accordingly? if we live naturally only then is it not also wrong to get medical treatment? and so many other things we do in our daily life for instance even cutting out nails?

I am sorry if I have said something wrong but I would like to make it clear that sikhi is in my heart,trimming my beard will not change the sentiment one bit and I encourage you to counter what I have said as it will only help me take this decision.

thanks a lot :)

trust me, i know from a lot of mone sikhs who are my mates, they always question why on earth a dastar wearing Sikh choose to trim/cut beard. Even they realise it doesnt sit right

• 2 months later...
Guest UK Sikh

what if your mustache is 4 inches long like mine and gets in your mouth covered with spit and food and gets pulled out painfully when you accidentally bite down in it??

Guest jasmeet

Gur fateh, to reply to every one let us keep the argument brief and not run in to pages

To reply to the main question of cutting/triming your kesh/hair i have only one thing to say after contemplating over it for years and by that i mean my entire life more so after i attained 18 yrs of age I am 22 years old sikh now.

'' If you felt like doing it , you cannot change that feeling until you do it and revert back'' mind you i am not talking about changing views and attitude i am talking about the way you felt it.

To the supports of the Thought:

You guys are very right in what you are thinking , be it comfort you seek or looks, the fact is the thought has been perceived and you are not wrong or doomed it is only human to feel so , IT IS NOT A CRIME until perceived from the Sikh Commandments point of view. But you guys felt like doing it and staying a sikh it will not be accepted by the society , Stop caring about them and do what you have to do and see for yourself what feel's right

To the Non-suuporters of the Thought:

BHULACHUKAA DE MAAFI !! I have nothing but the utmost respect for you guys and you guys are the only means who will be the torch bearers of our religion. What ever you guys said is absolutely right but from where you are standing. You guys never FELT the urge to do it not that powerful or overbearing.It was okay at the beginning and now normal finally that you have accepted it or may be it was always a noraml way of life. KUDOS! But the fact is people like us have felt that need and every single day passing by makes it miserable to live. So pressurising a sikh to keep his kesh and showing him the path are two different things .PLEASE STOP PRESSURISING that is my only request and please continue showing the path that is your duty but please dont differentiate on the basis of looks because looks are not everthing in this world.

Waheguru ji da khalsa waheguruji de Fateh!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HARMANDEEP KAUR

Waheguru g ka khalsa waheguru g ki fateh veer g.tusi tan amrit chkya hoya ae te twanu te jada knwldge hoege sikh itihaas di guru tegh bhadur sahib g ne te apna sees kurbaan krta c veer g par kade v vaala di bedbi ni kiti je asi eddan krange te nxt generatiion tak tan koi v sikh hi ni rhega..pls think abut this..n dnt cut ur beard

• 2 weeks later...

Don't cut your beard. That is what Truth within you is telling you. You wont gain anything by cutting your beard but you stand to gain a lot by keeping it. At one time i worried that my beard can make people confused that i am a muslim extremist, but in fact its quite nice that non Sikh people see my beard and think i am a poet, writer, scholar, etc etc. It has gained me a lot of respect that I had never imagined.

What is more important is to focus on your personality, education, physical activities etc than worry about your looks. Make sure you are going to the gym and building powerful muscles and keeping your waist slim, learning self defence, learning swimming, getting into kayaking, rowing, lots other water sports. you could even learn horse riding, rock and mountain climbing, paraglyding, etc etc. So much you could do to make your body look strong and muscular.

And Gurbani will help you forge a radiant, glowing, confident, positive, creative, dynamic, forward looking and loving personality that will draw others towards you anywhere you work, go or live. Education likewise will give you skill sets and the ability to charm others with your extensive knowledge etc.

So all that you are hoping for by cutting your beard is there to gain in other more better ways and God has given you beard to keep, not cut and keeping your beard is a natural thing to do and one small beautiful act of pleasing God and Guru. Anywhere I go my beard is never a problem in making others love me and respect me. This is all through God's grace.