desire to trim my beard

Guest random guy

jithe hove manmat..uthe fe ki kare Gurmat...........

when your heart is pure and clean ..you will accept everything that god gives us...and sikhism is simply , A way of achieving the god through Gurus..

sikhi is very simple..don't make it complicated ...

I was monah..I guess I had clean and pure heart that's why later, I accepted everything that our Gurus Asked from us..

one thing more ..If you do it for own sikh Girls if you think they don't like you Then let me make you sure that There are many other girls who like Guys with long beard and turban

last day. Leave everything but don't lose Gurus......BECAUSE THEY HAVE DONE SUCH THINGS WE SIKH CAN NEVER PAY THEIR "LEKHAA" at any cost..

Myself, as the only Sikh in the whole school district, I keep my appearance as it is no matter what. If you trim your beard you are putting yourself further way from Guru ji even if your Sikhi at heart you won't be seen as one because you shave for your own personal benefit whether it be to attract girls or to fit in society. Public's opinion should not matter as Guru Gobind Singh Ji said. Be proud of your heritage and trust me hair is very essential to our Sikhi identity. If you are SIkhi at heart you would respect Bhai Taru Singh's martydom of getting his scalp cut instead of his hair. Even though he wasn't threatened to have his beard trimmed, but you see the symbol of hair being sacred to him. There's many more examples.....

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Sikander

There have been few examples in this thread that understand that sometimes people need to make a decision to find their way.

I have had an untrimmed dhaari for more than 10 years. But to be completely honest, I now sometimes think that I want to trim it for a few years. It isn't because of girls. It's because of the connotation that people immediately have about me the first time we meet. It has become far too difficult to make a diverse group of friends simply because people see me and put me in box.. I don't care ultimately what people thing about me but I do care that I am missing out on social interactions. From pure aesthetics, seeing the shape of a mans face and actually seeing his neck or tie when wearing a suit looks better too.

It is underappreciated how many more opportunities westernized Sikh girls have simply because they do not face this initial barrier to entry in social groups. It has many implications even professionally. I am as idealistic as the best of them but I guarantee you that no khulee dharee wala is going to be the public face of any official or company of consequence because that is how western society works. For some people having Sikh friends at Gurdwara is enough but as someone who lives in a new place and even after years is still struggling to make a social group, I think it is natural to wonder what kind of change is necessary so that people don't avert their eyes or feel that this person is an oppressed religious conservative just because of his appearance.

There have been few examples in this thread that understand that sometimes people need to make a decision to find their way.

I have had an untrimmed dhaari for more than 10 years. But to be completely honest, I now sometimes think that I want to trim it for a few years. It isn't because of girls. It's because of the connotation that people immediately have about me the first time we meet. It has become far too difficult to make a diverse group of friends simply because people see me and put me in box.. I don't care ultimately what people thing about me but I do care that I am missing out on social interactions. From pure aesthetics, seeing the shape of a mans face and actually seeing his neck or tie when wearing a suit looks better too.

It is underappreciated how many more opportunities westernized Sikh girls have simply because they do not face this initial barrier to entry in social groups. It has many implications even professionally. I am as idealistic as the best of them but I guarantee you that no khulee dharee wala is going to be the public face of any official or company of consequence because that is how western society works. For some people having Sikh friends at Gurdwara is enough but as someone who lives in a new place and even after years is still struggling to make a social group, I think it is natural to wonder what kind of change is necessary so that people don't avert their eyes or feel that this person is an oppressed religious conservative just because of his appearance.

As someone who used to have hair cut, many of my old friends find me just as enjoyable (mostly more enjoyable) than when I was a mona. That includes mona Punjabi friends and white friends.

It's about your personality and how outgoing you are. You have to carry yourself with confidence.

• 2 months later...
Guest yashpreet

menu pta h ki m glt kam kita h ik // apni daadhi nu kenchi lga ke par hun menu ehsaas hoeaa h ki eh krn nal mere nal sab glt ho reha h te menu paise hon te bavjood bhi tangi aa gai h.par m sochda ha ki menu eh nhi krna chahida si mere to bahut vadsi glti ho gai.

maaf kareo dasam pita guru gobind singh ji.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest Jasleen singh

If sikhi is at heart dat means guru saeb di vich sikhi nai ohna ne kesh rakh ke dikhawa kita h? Tuhanu ehna knowledge h ta v eh question????go man of u were really proud of ur history and religion u would not hv asked dis kind of a question and one more thing it makes no difference whether u cut beard or grow it long bcoz if u luk handsome heartcracking u will look like dat if u luk ugly cutting off beard will never make any difference moreover one should luk like his father and our father is Guru Gobind singh ji maharaaj dats it bro :-)

• 1 year later...

Tbh it's all about how you understand things a rule is a boundation till we don't understand the cause. Keeping personal hygiene is important keeping kesh and not cutting them is deeper concept of love (if u love something u won't alter it) if u love ur kesh u won't trim and If ur mustache is too long u can move them away ig the rules made by our guru's are made coz of some reason with waheguru blessing I hope we all get understanding to accept the rules. Its almost impossible to have same understanding as our guru's so whatever they said is good for us just agree it as it says. You can find a million reason if u want to protect something u love and u can find million reason to trim ur beard every thing has pro and cons be thankful  for whatever you have.