This makes me sad.

Guest sodepressed

Guest Ithink-

in relation to the youth problem then I think its because religion is increasingly associated with boredom, lack of fun and and lack of freedom. Todays generation are all about finding short term pleasure. Eveb amongst amritdharis, most of the younger ones tend to focus on the sipahee aspect of sikhee, listening to bir ras type song from immortal production (nothing wrong with this) instead of gurbani and focusing on the saint aspect cos the sipahee aspect is considered 'cooler' if u will. we definitely need to instill the wisdom in our kids from early ages that pleasure is a disease, and short term happiness is of no benefit. Teach them big concepts in short form, don't brush them off just cos they're kids. Sikhee starts in the womb, mothers should be reading paath to their babies then. Parents need to play an active role in their childs religious and spiritual life and also need to make sure they themselves know about sikhee, it can be disheattening for children when they ask a qsn and their parents brush it off because they themselves don't know the answer

This dunia isn't the problem, neither is Kalyug. We're the problem. The singhs and singhnees of time remain detached in kaljug, so kaljug isn't unbeatable we just need to make the effort!!

in relation to the youth problem then I think its because religion is increasingly associated with boredom, lack of fun and and lack of freedom. Todays generation are all about finding short term pleasure. Eveb amongst amritdharis, most of the younger ones tend to focus on the sipahee aspect of sikhee, listening to bir ras type song from immortal production (nothing wrong with this) instead of gurbani and focusing on the saint aspect cos the sipahee aspect is considered 'cooler' if u will. we definitely need to instill the wisdom in our kids from early ages that pleasure is a disease, and short term happiness is of no benefit. Teach them big concepts in short form, don't brush them off just cos they're kids. Sikhee starts in the womb, mothers should be reading paath to their babies then. Parents need to play an active role in their childs religious and spiritual life and also need to make sure they themselves know about sikhee, it can be disheattening for children when they ask a qsn and their parents brush it off because they themselves don't know the answer

This dunia isn't the problem, neither is Kalyug. We're the problem. The singhs and singhnees of time remain detached in kaljug, so kaljug isn't unbeatable we just need to make the effort!!

+1.

Absolutely spot on!

Great post veer. :D

Very good post! But "pleasure is a disease" sounds a little vague. They should be taught where to and where not to derive pleasure from. I understand that we're meant to remain detached but sometimes on this forum i get the impression that Sikhs are somehow supposed to be completely devoid of feelings like a zombie or something! We have hobbies, do we not consider those pleasurable?

Children get bored because they're not always taught in a way that they enjoy and in this day and age learning needs to be fun with all the distractions around and ways they can get "short term happiness". With Maharajs kirpa the wisdom will come to them as they grow up and they will understand what difficulties come with that kind of happiness. Its sparking that initial interest we need to work on, the interest that will lead to the true source of pleasure, Naam!

I'm a girl hah!

I agree with you completely veerji

I was just referring to the gurbanee tuk:

dhukh dhaaroo sukh rog bhaeiaa jaa sukh thaam n hoee ||

Suffering is the medicine, and pleasure the disease

We're so focused about looking good in front of the rest of the world and doing parchaar of sikhi to the westerners but forgetting to do it in out own backyard

Don't get me wrong both parchaars are important but if u put things in perspective, we're doing parchaar about dastaars and kirpans but what's the point of that parchaar and fighting for those rights when no one's left to wear them??

Just saying we need to atleast make an effort and show love towards those who have fallen off the path.. Scrutinising them and attacking them will only send them running. Parchaar and Pyaar are the keys here.