Sikh Recruits British Army MUST remove Dastar during Training

S4NGH

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8354977.stm

I had heard that Sikh soldiers within the army had to remove their dastars during training/on field, to replace with a helmet.

This was confirmed by the above article: "During his training on the rifle ranges, Rifleman Singh has to take off his turban for safety and wear a hard helmet."

there are roughly 80 Sikhs in the British army. from over 100,000 fighting with their Dastars to death, to 80 Sikhs willingly replacing their dastars...

this is clearly an issue for those to whom the dastar has significance. for those who see it as mere head covering, will willingly replace it for a helmet. But what about our Amritdhari Sikh wanting to join the army or already within the army? perhaps this is why the number of Sikhs is so low? or atleast a contributer.

Is there anything being done about this? and legal cases etc...

Pul chuk maaf ji

Bulletproof turban is excellent idea.. i hope innovative singhs can come up with something rigid and solid as dummala with iron(sarbloh) shastars coating layer which meets military standards..

Look guys don't push this matter of accommodating too much but rather get all innovative sikhs together come up with great balance of bullet proof turban where both parties concerns- safety and religious freedom are properly addressed, it seems British army have been extremely accommodating to sikhs so far lets all appreciate that instead of walking around lobby/protesting with sense of entitlement ..!!

Bulletproof turban is excellent idea.. i hope innovative singhs can come up with something rigid and solid as dummala with iron(sarbloh) shastars coating layer which meets military standards..

Look guys don't push this matter of accommodating too much but rather get all innovative sikhs together come up with great balance of bullet proof turban where both parties concerns- safety and religious freedom are properly addressed, it seems British army have been extremely accommodating to sikhs so far lets all appreciate that instead of walking around lobby/protesting with sense of entitlement ..!!

I agree. Our innovative brothers and sisters should work on a 'bulletproof dastar'.

Yes maybe something like a sarbloh cap to be worn on the head and dastar can be tied on top of this? Similar to how shastar are worn in dumallay...

But to not push the matter of accomodation...its as though your suggesting its fine to remove ones dastar for the purpose of combat? Forgive me if ive misunderstood you.

And what exactly has the british army done for Sikhs? Apart from allowing them to wear their dastars outside of training and combat? I cant see what 'special' moves they've taken to accomodate Sikhs. Please shed some light

I agree. Our innovative brothers and sisters should work on a 'bulletproof dastar'.

Yes maybe something like a sarbloh cap to be worn on the head and dastar can be tied on top of this? Similar to how shastar are worn in dumallay...

But to not push the matter of accomodation...its as though your suggesting its fine to remove ones dastar for the purpose of combat? Forgive me if ive misunderstood you.

And what exactly has the british army done for Sikhs? Apart from allowing them to wear their dastars outside of training and combat? I cant see what 'special' moves they've taken to accomodate Sikhs. Please shed some light

The fact that they have allowed Sikhs to keep a turban and beard is pretty accommodating. I wish it were like that here

these people actually **DO** owe us and there is no reason to comprimise our dharm for them

you are right bro they do owe us... but we should be working out royalty deals with them instead working in their army. I don't know about others, but i m kinda against the idea of khalsa working in the british army, kind of defeats the idea of khalsa being sovereign and making sovereign decisions based on khalsa ideals. I mean we already seen war fiasco in iraq and libya...khalsa should pay allegiance to his Guru not British umpire..!! I mean peace keeping force/duty of law enforcement-cop/working for UN army are honorable position that all sikhs should be striving for but working in army and going to war to please parliament/congress and their corrupt politicians just so they can take over oil/gas and natural resources in middle east is totally against khalsa ideals, they always be on clash course with khalsa ideals.!!

you are right bro they do owe us... but we should be working out royalty deals with them instead working in their army. I don't know about others, but i m kinda against the idea of khalsa working in the british army, kind of defeats the idea of khalsa being sovereign and making sovereign decisions based on khalsa ideals. I mean we already seen war fiasco in iraq and libya...khalsa should pay allegiance to his Guru not British umpire..!! I mean peace keeping force/duty of law enforcement-cop/working for UN army are honorable position that all sikhs should be striving for but working in army and going to war to please parliament/congress and their corrupt politicians just so they can take over oil/gas and natural resources in middle east is totally against khalsa ideals, they always be on clash course with khalsa ideals.!!

100% agree.

The fact that they have allowed Sikhs to keep a turban and beard is pretty accommodating. I wish it were like that here

If you had read the post, you would see that the army doesnt infact allow accomodate for Sikhs with Dastars. And theyre doing us no favor! Other way around