Bringing back a dilruba from India

LudhianaLion

WaheGuru Ji Ka Khalsa

WaheGuru Ji Ki Fateh

I hope someone can help me with a query I have.

I'm travelling to Punjab in a few weeks. I have set up a meeting with Dr Gurnam Singh (Patiala University) and I hope to buy a dilruba while I'm in Punjab with his advice. The issue is, will I encounter many problems when bringing it back to the UK?

I'm flying with Air India (I know, I know!) from London to Delhi and I have a 46kg baggage allowance. However, will I have any taxes to pay, or staff telling me it's too big to take in the hold or worse, is it likely to be manhandled and arrive broken?

Does anyone have any personal experience of bringing back a dilruba or similar large, fragile instrument out of India?

Also, any tips on where to buy from or the best wood? Any indication on what I would expect to pay? I've been advised to source a dilruba made from a single piece of wood rather than two separate parts. I'm afraid I have little to no knowledge on musical instruments. My young son has indicated a preference to learn a musical instrument when he learns kirtan and he has suggested he would like to learn a traditional instrument than the harmonium. I can't play any instrument and would like to take it up too - hence, the proposed meeting with Bhai Dr Gurnam Singh to speak with him and learn a little from his vast experience.

Hopefully, some of my brothers and sisters can help me with their own experiences!

(I'm really sorry if this topic doesn't fit in this section - mods, please feel free to move).

How much does a good dilruba or taus cost if you buy it from Punjab?

I would love to learn sometime in the future. The only people I've seen selling are too expensive for me.

I would recommend getting a fiber glass case and pad it from the inside and check it in as an extra baggage. I brought a dhol from Punjab 3ish years ago and it cost me 150 dollars USD for an extra check in. Hope that helps.

edit- If it helps, I bought a padded soft case for the dhol and then took the dhol in the case it to the mistri who makes atta peepas and other stuff with steel sheets. He measured it and made an atta peepa out of it lol. I brought a dhol in an atta peepa all the way home. Was a lot of work, but I think it was worth it.

I think the atta peepa case cost me only around 500-600 rupees.

I brought back a dilruba from india a few years ago. you just need to check it in as oversized baggage, there is nothing extra to pay there or on arrival. Mkae sure that the clerk puts a "fragile" label on it though, so it wount get thrown around.

Good to hear that you are getting a dilruba. to the poster whowants to bring back that awful box, benti bro, bring back a dilruba instead.

WaheGuru Ji Ka Khalsa

WaheGuru Ji Ki Fateh

I hope someone can help me with a query I have.

I'm travelling to Punjab in a few weeks. I have set up a meeting with Dr Gurnam Singh (Patiala University) and I hope to buy a dilruba while I'm in Punjab with his advice. The issue is, will I encounter many problems when bringing it back to the UK?

I'm flying with Air India (I know, I know!) from London to Delhi and I have a 46kg baggage allowance. However, will I have any taxes to pay, or staff telling me it's too big to take in the hold or worse, is it likely to be manhandled and arrive broken?

Does anyone have any personal experience of bringing back a dilruba or similar large, fragile instrument out of India?

Also, any tips on where to buy from or the best wood? Any indication on what I would expect to pay? I've been advised to source a dilruba made from a single piece of wood rather than two separate parts. I'm afraid I have little to no knowledge on musical instruments. My young son has indicated a preference to learn a musical instrument when he learns kirtan and he has suggested he would like to learn a traditional instrument than the harmonium. I can't play any instrument and would like to take it up too - hence, the proposed meeting with Bhai Dr Gurnam Singh to speak with him and learn a little from his vast experience.

Hopefully, some of my brothers and sisters can help me with their own experiences!

(I'm really sorry if this topic doesn't fit in this section - mods, please feel free to move).

Meeting Dr Gurnam Singh is an excellent idea, he will be able to guide you as they purchase a lot of instruments. I believe that he buys his instruments from Gurdial Singh and sons (Jallandhar,Punjab). These are definitely top quality dilrubas, one of the best. You could get Dr Gurnam Singh to order the dilruba for you, or maybe phone them and give a 'sifarash'. This is so that they take care with making the instrument, make it better quality and will be less likely to mess you around. Otherwise, some instrument makers don't take as much care. Here is a very good article:

http://harsangeet.com/2008/05/wanttobuyesraj/

Whoever you buy it from make sure you tell them that you are taking it abroad and it should be packed accordingly. Also, be aware of time constraints as they will tell you it will be ready by the time you go back to UK, but on the day they will make an excuse. Tell them it should be ready as early as possible.

If you are getting the dilruba for your son, you might also want to consider getting a mini dilruba rather than the full size one. You would have to get this specially made.

A genuine thank you very much for all your answers. A great response with different ideas for me to consider. I will certainly look into sending the dilruba by FedEx (or similar) and perhaps the seller will have experience in this.

I hope my appointment with Dr Gurnam Singh is confirmed. I have sent representatives to approach him and ask if he does have a preferred seller and if we can get it ordered now so that it is ready for collection by late October.

Pehlvan, thanks for the link. It led me to another site which informs me that tun (or toon) wood is the preferred material for the dilruba construction. I am now better educated on what to look for and will not be a complete novice.

Many thanks once again!

WaheGuru Ji Ka Khalsa

WaheGuru Ji Ki Fateh