Aarti with candles

Singhshaster

I personally wouldn't do it, but the way I see it is that it's their sharda of Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

To do only karam kaand and not apply the teachings of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is a pointless ritual. At the same time many people matha tek and don't really submit their head to the Guru.

They may have a different approach, but I don't think it could be classified as "hindu-mat" exactly mainly because we also do shastar namaskar/worship as they are our peer, but at the same time Aarti tells us that merely doing candle pooja isn't real aarti.

Bhagat Ravidas Ji says:

This Shabad is by Bhagat Ravi Daas Ji in Raag Dhanaasree on Pannaa 694

nwmu qyro AwrqI mjnu murwry ]

hir ky nwm ibnu JUTy sgl pwswry ]1] rhwau ]

nwmu qyro Awsno nwmu qyro aursw nwmu qyrw kysro ly iCtkwry ]

nwmu qyrw AMBulw nwmu qyro cMdno Gis jpy nwmu ly quJih kau cwry ]1]

nwmu qyrw dIvw nwmu qyro bwqI nwmu qyro qylu ly mwih pswry ]

nwm qyry kI joiq lgweI BieE auijAwro Bvn sglwry ]2]

nwmu qyro qwgw nwmu PUl mwlw Bwr ATwrh sgl jUTwry ]

qyro kIAw quJih ikAw Arpau nwmu qyrw quhI cvr Folwry ]3]

ds ATw ATsTy cwry KwxI iehY vrqix hY sgl sMswry ]

khY rivdwsu nwmu qyro AwrqI siq nwmu hY hir Bog quhwry ]4]3] Your Name, Lord, is my adoration and cleansing bath.

Without the Name of the Lord, all ostentatious displays are useless. ||1||Pause||

Your Name is my prayer mat, and Your Name is the stone to grind the sandalwood. Your Name is the saffron which I take and sprinkle in offering to You.

Your Name is the water, and Your Name is the sandalwood. The chanting of Your Name is the grinding of the sandalwood. I take it and offer all this to You. ||1||

Your Name is the lamp, and Your Name is the wick. Your Name is the oil I pour into it.

Your Name is the light applied to this lamp, which enlightens and illuminates the entire world. ||2||

Your Name is the thread, and Your Name is the garland of flowers. The eighteen loads of vegetation are all too impure to offer to You.

Why should I offer to You, that which You Yourself created? Your Name is the fan, which I wave over You. ||3||

The whole world is engrossed in the eighteen Puraanas, the sixty-eight sacred shrines of pilgrimage, and the four sources of creation.

Says Ravi Daas, Your Name is my Aartee, my lamp-lit worship-service. The True Name, Sat Naam, is the food which I offer to You. ||4||3||

~~~~

Personally, I wouldn't do it because I feel it's contradictory/unnecessary and isn't a Sikh practice. The best way to do Pooja of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is to submit your head to the Guru and become a Sikh of the Guru - apply the teachings of Guru Sahib in your dhan-man.

This subject has been discussed a lot before so perform a search as well.

At hazoor sahib, arti-arta tradition is been going seena basina along with budda dal panjva takht.

All the mahapursh in the past have encourage students never to criticize takth sahiban maryada and always do satkar of them despite of differences in samparda maryada. In Gurmat Maryada pustak, sant baba gurbachan singh ji bhindranwale mentions how one shouldn't criticize takht sahiban maryada he mentions how he does not agree with arti-arta concept in sachkhand hazoor sahib but despite of that, it holds hazoor sahib maryada at high esteem.

One should take all panj takhth sahiban maryada at very high esteem when they do anything for the panth or in panthic circle but when it comes personal sikhi, one can follow sampardai maryada. It's very simple concept that is still used when you learn sikhi through mahapursh, that avoids all the conflicts of my samparda's maryada is right and others are wrong.

At the end of day,arti-arta just like chaur sahib is part of acharan bhakti (one of 9 bhakti) listed in sri guru granth sahib ji, its way of showing devotion to sargun paratma- saroop of sri guru granth sahib ji..its a ritual..ritual isn't neccessary bad but its the person who is doing the ritual need to have clear understanding or fine line between when ritual is performed as devotion to sargun paratma and when ritual is performed as pure dogma..!!..this applies to pretty much every ritual in the panth not just arti-arta.

At the end of day, its a small thing nothing big too loose your sleep over..!!