Aarti with candles

Singhshaster

It was important enough for Sant Gurbachan Singh Bhindranwale to clarify and deliberately tell Sikhs not to light candles.

I will respect people who do it, but at the same time if people do it without sharda and just as a ritual it's nothing more than karam kaand.

~~~~

The most puratan Aarti is Gurbani, nothing is more sampooran and "puratan" than that. A lot of things happened that are historically recorded associated with Sikhi, but is complete utter manmat and goes against teachings of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

It's clear what Sant Ji says - he says lighting of candle/deeva is not a Sikh practice and most importantly not approved by Guru Sahib, but at the same time not to criticize some who do it and give them the benefit of the doubt that they are doing it with true intentions.

Jassa pointed very interesting point on other thread.

Their is a nirgun and sargun sroop of akal purkh ... And arti speaks of both of the sroops ... Guru Granth sahib has not one but many tuuks sloks and shabads on aarti... Bhagat Ravidas says naam is only aarti of god does that means aarti guru nanak dev ji wrote is wrong? Bhagat danas aarti is further different...

Guru Nanak dev ji wrote aarti about the nirgun sroop of akal purkh which is every where in the universe.

Bhagat Ravidas wrote aarti about sroop of akalpurkh inside us.

Rest all the bhagats wrote aarti about sargun sroop of akalpurkh that is Guru Granth Sahib.

Read full aarti Shabad by Shabad and you will understand.

Sangat ji

I have the highest respect for Santa Gurbachan Singh ji. As they have a sargun. saroop. Of maharaaj and a nirgun saroop saroop. the whole universe is doing arti of the nirgun. when front of guru grant SHAIB Ji we respect maharaaj bring the best rumala SHAIB best takhth best church SHAIB and also having the best dhoop argarbathi hence nihang Singhs do arti with joth flowers dhoop. argarbathi to s9w that respect to maharaaj. If we see him as nirgun saroop he is everywhere and we don't need to do anything so 2tats the point of putting maharaaj at sachkhand at night. Why did guru SHAIB put maharaaj on a bed and slept on the ground to show respect. San harnaam. Singh ji always had a joth on when maharaaj was on the takth once they did not have desioil and they used gas. pita guru gobind Singh ji give them darshan and said maryada is desi oil and gas should not be used because its bad for the world. now Santa ji and Santa urbachan Singh ji had a lot of love for each other and they would never disagree to that respect. also in harminder SHAIB put they have a joth on up stairs all the time now is that against maryada because we can get light without a joth.

Excuse my spelling on a new phone so ain't got all my Sikh words saved.

Akaal sahai

The thaal and diva are irrelevant to one's Sikhi. People like to make all sorts of stories behind it, but in the end It's just a bipran karam kaand. The real aarti is what is happening in Vaheguru's creation. A Sikh should just do kirtan with full Dhyaan when reciting Aarti, because in the end that is what counts.

If you look at this Shabad, Satguru is explaining that the universe is doing the aarti of Sri Vaheguru Ji Maharaj (after the Rahao, Satguru makes it very clear he is explaining the aarti of Nirgun Saroop of Maharaj). Most likely this is a response to the hindus that pick up stones make them into their devis and then worship them. Also if you read Bhagat Namdev Ji Maharaj shabad on worshipping stones, where he says what is the difference between the stone you kick in the street and the stone you worship. Then those that do Aarti of stones or other things like photos have not understood what Maharaj wanted......the people are worshipping the 5 elements, which will perish.

ਰਾਗੁ ਧਨਾਸਰੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ॥

रागु धनासरी महला १ ॥

Rāg ḏẖanāsrī mėhlā 1.

Raag Dhanaasree, First Mehl:

ਗਗਨ ਮੈ ਥਾਲੁ ਰਵਿ ਚੰਦੁ ਦੀਪਕ ਬਨੇ ਤਾਰਿਕਾ ਮੰਡਲ ਜਨਕ ਮੋਤੀ ॥

गगन मै थालु रवि चंदु दीपक बने तारिका मंडल जनक मोती ॥

Gagan mai thāl rav cẖanḏ ḏīpak bane ṯārikā mandal janak moṯī.

Upon that cosmic plate of the sky, the sun and the moon are the lamps. The stars and their orbs are the studded pearls.

ਧੂਪੁ ਮਲਆਨਲੋ ਪਵਣੁ ਚਵਰੋ ਕਰੇ ਸਗਲ ਬਨਰਾਇ ਫੂਲੰਤ ਜੋਤੀ ॥੧॥

धूपु मलआनलो पवणु चवरो करे सगल बनराइ फूलंत जोती ॥१॥

Ḏẖūp mal▫ānlo pavaṇ cẖavro kare sagal banrā▫e fūlanṯ joṯī. ||1||

The fragrance of sandalwood in the air is the temple incense, and the wind is the fan. All the plants of the world are the altar flowers in offering to You, O Luminous Lord. ||1||

ਕੈਸੀ ਆਰਤੀ ਹੋਇ ॥

कैसी आरती होइ ॥

Kaisī ārṯī ho▫e.

What a beautiful Aartee, lamp-lit worship service this is!

ਭਵ ਖੰਡਨਾ ਤੇਰੀ ਆਰਤੀ ॥

भव खंडना तेरी आरती ॥

Bẖav kẖandnā ṯerī ārṯī.

O Destroyer of Fear, this is Your Ceremony of Light.

ਅਨਹਤਾ ਸਬਦ ਵਾਜੰਤ ਭੇਰੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

अनहता सबद वाजंत भेरी ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥

Anhaṯā sabaḏ vājanṯ bẖerī. ||1|| rahā▫o.

The Unstruck Sound-current of the Shabad is the vibration of the temple drums. ||1||Pause||

ਸਹਸ ਤਵ ਨੈਨ ਨਨ ਨੈਨ ਹਹਿ ਤੋਹਿ ਕਉ ਸਹਸ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਨਨਾ ਏਕ ਤਹੀ ॥

सहस तव नैन नन नैन हहि तोहि कउ सहस मूरति नना एक तोही ॥

Sahas ṯav nain nan nain hėh ṯohi ka▫o sahas mūraṯ nanā ek ṯohī.

You have thousands of eyes, and yet You have no eyes. You have thousands of forms, and yet You do not have even one.

ਸਹਸ ਪਦ ਬਿਮਲ ਨਨ ਏਕ ਪਦ ਗੰਧ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਹਸ ਤਵ ਗੰਧ ਇਵ ਚਲਤ ਮੋਹੀ ॥੨॥

सहस पद बिमल नन एक पद गंध बिनु सहस तव गंध इव चलत मोही ॥२॥

Sahas paḏ bimal nan ek paḏ ganḏẖ bin sahas ṯav ganḏẖ iv cẖalaṯ mohī. ||2||

You have thousands of Lotus Feet, and yet You do not have even one foot. You have no nose, but you have thousands of noses. This Play of Yours entrances me. ||2||

ਸਭ ਮਹਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਹੈ ਸੋਇ ॥

सभ महि जोति जोति है सोइ ॥

Sabẖ mėh joṯ joṯ hai so▫e.

Amongst all is the Light-You are that Light.

ਤਿਸ ਦੈ ਚਾਨਣਿ ਸਭ ਮਹਿ ਚਾਨਣੁ ਹੋਇ ॥

तिस दै चानणि सभ महि चानणु होइ ॥

Ŧis ḏai cẖānaṇ sabẖ mėh cẖānaṇ ho▫e.

By this Illumination, that Light is radiant within all.

ਗੁਰ ਸਾਖੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਪਰਗਟੁ ਹੋਇ ॥

गुर साखी जोति परगटु होइ ॥

Gur sākẖī joṯ pargat ho▫e.

Through the Guru's Teachings, the Light shines forth.

ਜੋ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਸੁ ਆਰਤੀ ਹੋਇ ॥੩॥

जो तिसु भावै सु आरती होइ ॥३॥

Jo ṯis bẖāvai so ārṯī ho▫e. ||3||

That which is pleasing to Him is the lamp-lit worship service. ||3||

ਹਰਿ ਚਰਣ ਕਵਲ ਮਕਰੰਦ ਲੋਭਿਤ ਮਨੋ ਅਨਦਿਨ ਮੋਹਿ ਆਹੀ ਪਿਆਸਾ ॥

हरि चरण कवल मकरंद लोभित मनो अनदिनो मोहि आही पिआसा ॥

Har cẖaraṇ kaval makranḏ lobẖiṯ mano anḏino mohi āhī pi▫āsā.

My mind is enticed by the honey-sweet Lotus Feet of the Lord. Day and night, I thirst for them.

<a class="dict" href="http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ">ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਜਲੁ ਦੇਹਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਰਿੰਗ ਕਉ ਹੋਇ ਜਾ ਤੇ ਤੇਰੈ ਨਾਇ ਵਾਸਾ ॥੪॥੩॥

क्रिपा जलु देहि नानक सारिंग कउ होइ जा ते तेरै नाइ वासा ॥४॥३॥

Kirpā jal ḏėh Nānak sāring ka▫o ho▫e jā ṯe ṯerai nā▫e vāsā. ||4||3||

Bestow the Water of Your Mercy upon Nanak, the thirsty song-bird, so that he may come to dwell in Your Name. ||4||3|| ang 13

It's easier to understand this issue using nirgun and sargun context instead of black and white notions- gurmat or manmat or bipran ki reet.

Arti-arta, Chaur sahib, tilak, phoola di varkha are signs of royalty in Indic Culture. Just like wearing graduation dress at graduation is sign of "accomplishment" in school or university in western culture..i didn't see anyone screaming westernvaadi here.

I think it all depends on individual's avastha sitting at guru maharaj darbar. Depending on the state of mind at that particular moment of an individual like person more attuned towards nirgun roop of vahiguroo, one wouldn't do physical arti of sri guru granth sahib ji but with that being said, same person shouldn't have inclination to do chaur sahib over sri guru granth sahib ji as same shabad talks about -

Ŧero kī▫ā ṯujẖėh ki▫ā arpa▫o nām ṯerā ṯuhī cẖavar dẖolāre. ||3||

Why should I offer to You, that which You Yourself created? Your Name is the fan, which I wave over You. ||3||

I am personally not inclined to do arti-arta in maharaj's darbar or chaur sahib for that matter not because of emotionally charged assertions that arti-arta is bipran ki reet (its a dangerous slippery slope thought, watch out very close to consider chaur sahib bipran ki reet with the same mindset) but i am personally not inclided to do arti-arta because naturally i am more inclined towards nirgun and naam.

But with that being said, if gurmukhs in darbar gives me a thali of arti/arta or flowers to pay respect i wouldn't reject it all as its part of sargun devotion. In Gurmat, sargun and nirgun saroop of sri guru granth sahib are one there is no distincation. In Maharaj Darbar...if sikhs find distincation in sargun and nirgun saroop of sri guru granth sahib ji thats their problem- may be thats the reason all sikhs cannot have same dristhi as dhan dhan dhan baba nand singh ji maharaj who got sri guru nanak dev nirankar sargun saroop pargat from sri guru granth sahib ji to prove people of that time that - Indeed sri guru granth sahib ji maharaj is jagadi jot of sri guru nanak dev ji.!!

In above, i am talking about maharaj darbar only...Off course in actual spritual life of sikh, one shoud have clear understanding that main aim is going towards nirgun via shabad/gyan than being stuck in sargun.

We need to remember in maharaj's darbar you have sangat with all different avastha most of them beginneers are more inclined towards sargun saroop of sri guru granth sahib ji..so keeping that in mind- arti-arta including phula di varka rituals are preformed in nihang dals or sachkhand hazoor sahib so beautiful sargun aspect of sri guru granth sahib are celebrated together with nirgun/shabad saroop of sri guru granth sahib ji as long as there is understanding sargun and nirgun forms of sri guru granth sahib ji there is nothing wrong with sargun rituals of sri guru granth sahib ji.!!!

There is nothing wrong with Sant gurbachan singh ji bhindranwale take on arti-arta. It should be read in context of sant ji is talking from nirgun context as he leaned more towards nirgun saroop of vahiguroo...satguru rejected traditional arti because of people were stuck in sargun, so naturally he was more in favor of nirgun saroop. What important is, he didn't went on saying- arti-arta performed in hazoor sahib towards sri guru granth sahib ji was bipran ki reet/manmat as its part of sargun devotion.

It's up to sangat here to understand complexity of sargun saroop of sri guru granth sahib ji and its ritual by making an effort to understand sargun and nirgun relationship in Gurmat by lowering their sensors or one can close their eyes/take a shortcut route- call arti-arta bipran ki reet but do keep in mind you are quite in border line of doing khandan mandan of every sargun rituals performed in maharaj darbar towards sri guru granth sahib ji (be it chaur shaib, palki, rummalas, maharaj's dress, shastars, nagra, chauni etc etc)

I personally wouldn't do it, but the way I see it is that it's their sharda of Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

To do only karam kaand and not apply the teachings of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is a pointless ritual. At the same time many people matha tek and don't really submit their head to the Guru.

They may have a different approach, but I don't think it could be classified as "hindu-mat" exactly mainly because we also do shastar namaskar/worship as they are our peer, but at the same time Aarti tells us that merely doing candle pooja isn't real aarti.

Bhagat Ravidas Ji says:

This Shabad is by Bhagat Ravi Daas Ji in Raag Dhanaasree on Pannaa 694

nwmu qyro AwrqI mjnu murwry ]

hir ky nwm ibnu JUTy sgl pwswry ]1] rhwau ]

nwmu qyro Awsno nwmu qyro aursw nwmu qyrw kysro ly iCtkwry ]

nwmu qyrw AMBulw nwmu qyro cMdno Gis jpy nwmu ly quJih kau cwry ]1]

nwmu qyrw dIvw nwmu qyro bwqI nwmu qyro qylu ly mwih pswry ]

nwm qyry kI joiq lgweI BieE auijAwro Bvn sglwry ]2]

nwmu qyro qwgw nwmu PUl mwlw Bwr ATwrh sgl jUTwry ]

qyro kIAw quJih ikAw Arpau nwmu qyrw quhI cvr Folwry ]3]

ds ATw ATsTy cwry KwxI iehY vrqix hY sgl sMswry ]

khY rivdwsu nwmu qyro AwrqI siq nwmu hY hir Bog quhwry ]4]3] Your Name, Lord, is my adoration and cleansing bath.

Without the Name of the Lord, all ostentatious displays are useless. ||1||Pause||

Your Name is my prayer mat, and Your Name is the stone to grind the sandalwood. Your Name is the saffron which I take and sprinkle in offering to You.

Your Name is the water, and Your Name is the sandalwood. The chanting of Your Name is the grinding of the sandalwood. I take it and offer all this to You. ||1||

Your Name is the lamp, and Your Name is the wick. Your Name is the oil I pour into it.

Your Name is the light applied to this lamp, which enlightens and illuminates the entire world. ||2||

Your Name is the thread, and Your Name is the garland of flowers. The eighteen loads of vegetation are all too impure to offer to You.

Why should I offer to You, that which You Yourself created? Your Name is the fan, which I wave over You. ||3||

The whole world is engrossed in the eighteen Puraanas, the sixty-eight sacred shrines of pilgrimage, and the four sources of creation.

Says Ravi Daas, Your Name is my Aartee, my lamp-lit worship-service. The True Name, Sat Naam, is the food which I offer to You. ||4||3||

~~~~

Personally, I wouldn't do it because I feel it's contradictory/unnecessary and isn't a Sikh practice. The best way to do Pooja of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is to submit your head to the Guru and become a Sikh of the Guru - apply the teachings of Guru Sahib in your dhan-man.

This subject has been discussed a lot before so perform a search as well.

There are two steps to the aarti discussion:

First step: Ask yourself what the person is doing Aarti of?

Second step: If it is of the five elements, eg. stones or pictures, then it is manmat

Bhagat Ravidas Ji Maharaj said the above shabad to deliver this home to the ritual followers:

nwmu qyro AwrqI mjnu murwry ]

hir ky nwm ibnu JUTy sgl pwswry ]1] rhwau ]

Yea......just another day.......lets go infront of the sangat and do aarti of the stone idol, amaze the sangat with the aarti....can't wait to get back and see what the sangat brought for the stone idol to eat.............im really hoping for something sweets today.......had too much salt yesterday.

A) they were doing aarti of the 5 elements, which is a complete no no in Gurmat.

B) Bhagat ji is saying you have no devotion for Maharaj.....the aarti is done just for show.....

Is there anything wrong with a prayer mat, a lamp, a candle, flowers, etc. Bhagat ji is not against these things. He is against as is Gurbani, the big fake show the Hindus put on and then they are worshipping the dead (5 elements)

The Bana of the Khalsa has become a ritual, but let's not go there............don't want to upset the white collar Sikhs.................that shirt which exposes your chest looks so good on you......where did you get..........i want to get one to impress my husband....................We Sikhs have started doing aarti of something else completely..............ever wonder what Bhagat Ravidas ji Maharaj would say to the Sikhs regarding this Aarti?

Only Five Veerji, Sant Gurbachan Singh Bhindranwale writes this in the maryada of what Arti is:

ਆਰਤੀ ਦੇ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਬੈਠ ਕੇ ਪੜਨੇ ਕੀਰਤਨ ਕਰਨਾ ਹੀ ਯੋਗ ਹੈ।ਥਾਲ ਵਿਚ ਦੀਵੇ ਬਾਲ ਕੇ ਆਰਤੀ ਦਾ ਖੰਡਨ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਾਂ ਨੇ ਕੀਤਾ ਹੈ।

(It is best to sit and sing Shabads of Aarti. Doing Aarti with lighted lamps in plates has been rejected by Satguruji.)

~~

Sant Gurbachan Singh Bhindranwale says very clearly, thaal vich deevay baal ke aarti da khandan Satguran ne kita hai.

~~

ਹਰ ਪਾਠ ਦੇ ਭੋਗ ਪੈਣ ਤੇ ਕੀਰਤਨ ਤੇ ਆਰਤੀ ੳਚਾਰੇ( ਬਿਨਾਂ ਮ੍ਰਿਤਕ ਪਹਿਲੀ ਵਾਰ ਦਾ)

(ਨੋਟ- ਆਰਤੀ ਦੇ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਹੀ ੳਚਾਰਨੇ, ਦੀਵੇ ਨਹੀਂ ਬਾਲਣੇ)

(At bhog of every Paath, do Kirtan and sing Aarti (except first path of an individual’s death)

(Note- Only Sing Shabads of Aarti, don’t light lamps)

ਆਰਤੀ ੳਚਾਰਨੀ, ਦੀਵੇ ਨਹੀਂ ਬਾਲਣੇ,ਕੇਵਲ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਪੜਨੇ ਅਤੇ ਕੀਰਤਨ ਕਰਨਾ, ਫਿਰ ਕੜਾਹ ਪ੍ਰਸ਼ਾਦ ਵੰਡਣਾ ਅਤੇ ਖੁੱਲਾ ਲੰਗਰ ਕਰਨਾ।

(Do Aarti, don’t light lamps, only read Shabads of Aarti and Do Kirtan, then distribute Karah Parshad and have open Langar )

~~~

While we're at the subject, what is the maryada for shaster puja? I have heard different things about it, It would be interesting to note what Sant Gurbachan Singh Bhindranwale has said. I haven't read enough to know.

Since its inception the bollywood industry has a very pro RSS (even Nehru) is seen wearing Bajrang Dal/ Shiv Sena/RSS outfit.

See for yourself whether or not their intentions are nice. Watch the whole thing. It's highly offensive and is beadbi of Gurbani because they are doing exactly opposite of what Gurbani is telling on purpose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6SQ_XLfVes