Ragi jatha singing a sufi song?

TuhadaDaas

Here's a video of a ragi jatha singing a well known sufi song, damadam mast kalandar, this song praises various muslim figures (sort of like pirs). This does not seem right.

on the youtube channel this is what is written:

EL-0044-1634-576100 /

MOBILE-0044-7855 232869 /

EMAIL-surajjogi@yahoo.co.uk

ADDRES- (This Raagi Jatha can sing Gurbani with translation in punjabi,english,hindi, sindhi, urdu, Labanaki-The Great Guaarki and persian-Farsi, this jatha sang Mool-Mantra in 56 languages which is underview of Gunnuis book of world record, Bhai sahib Suraj is Degree holder and graduate from rajasthan University in 1976, this jatha's ustad is their respected father Brahm-Gyani hisholiness Sant Baba Ajit Singh sahib)ADRESS:- BHAI SAHIB BHAI HARBANS SINGH SURAJ & BHAI SAHIB BHAI JOGENDER SINGH JOGI ALWAR WALE(companion of maskeen sahib),

78 COPENHAGEN ROAD, GILLINGHAM, KENT, ME7 4RU, ENGLAND,UK.

what you mean it does not seem right? Whats so wrong about it? Have you read the lyrics of qwalis singh? Its pretty much like dharna kirtan one can easily relate to it in Sikhi. The fact guru maharaj had "diverse" 52 poets in his kavi darbar should give you hint of something?? :biggrin2:

Yes I am aware of the lyrics of this particular qwalli. You don't see a problem with ragi singhs praising muslim peers? sakhi shahbaz kalandar, etc.

Every qwalis have deep mystical meaning to it even sargun and nirgun meaning to it - read bulleh shah stuff. Who is to say this lyrics only refers to muslim peer. I am not comparing god forbid if its taken that way but i must give this example to make a point- ram mentioned in gurbani many times but it be wrong to automatically refer to ram chandar ji..it be wrong to automatically assume ram must be ram chandar in gurbani just like that it be foolish to automatically assume qwali automatically refers to muslim peers...not that there is an issue with it if its turn out that way but automatically assuming thats the problem.

Fateh....

Once again this issue can be easily resolved by reading our (son much forgotten) rehat maryada. (see abtract taken from: http://www.sgpc.net/rehat_maryada/section_three_chap_five.html

CHAPTER V

Kirtan (Devotional Hymns Singing by a Group or an Indvidual)

Article VI <a name="article6" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: arial; font-size: small; ">

a) Only a Sikh may perform Kirtan in a congregation.

b) Kirtan means singing the scriptural compositions in traditional musical measures.

c) In the congragation, Kirtan only of Gurbani (Guru Granth's or Guru Gobind Singh's hymns) and, for its elaboration, of the compositions of Bhai Gurdas and Bhai Nand Lal, may be performed.

d) It is improper, while singing hymns to rhythmic folk tunes or to traditional musical measures, or in team singing, to induct into them improvised and extraneous refrains. Only a line from the hymn should be made a refrain.

Hope this clarifies.

Fateh .. . .

Only a Sikh may perform Kirtan in a congregation.

b) Kirtan means singing the scriptural compositions in traditional musical measures.

c) In the congragation, Kirtan only of Gurbani (Guru Granth's or Guru Gobind Singh's hymns) and, for its elaboration, of the compositions of Bhai Gurdas and Bhai Nand Lal, may be performed.

d) It is improper, while singing hymns to rhythmic folk tunes or to traditional musical measures, or in team singing, to induct into them improvised and extraneous refrains. Only a line from the hymn should be made a refrain.

Thanks for posting the maryada veer. I won't dis-regard the maryada from sri akaal takth sahib. I am all up for maryada and enforcement through all across the board rather than pick and choose points because it suit our tribal beleifs.

Lets first start "enforcing" raag kirtan as traditional measure all across the board as point b) Kirtan means singing the scriptural compositions in traditional musical measures- clearly mentions kirtan has to be sung in raag instead of having up in arms regarding the video above. I am not saying according to maryada you posted above the video right..but lets get to that afterwards as we still have lot of home cleaning to do- why don't we start off with addressing the issue 80% of kirtan in the panth is non raag therefore going contary to maryada.

Thanks for posting the maryada veer. I won't dis-regard the maryada from sri akaal takth sahib. I am all up for maryada and enforcement through all across the board rather than pick and choose points because it suit our tribal beleifs.

Lets first start "enforcing" raag kirtan as traditional measure all across the board as point b) Kirtan means singing the scriptural compositions in traditional musical measures- clearly mentions kirtan has to be sung in raag instead of having up in arms regarding the video above. I am not saying according to maryada you posted above the video right..but lets get to that afterwards as we still have lot of home cleaning to do- why don't we start off with addressing the issue 80% of kirtan in the panth is non raag therefore going contary to maryada.

Finally I agree with you N30 singh Kirtan must be done in raag without raag it is not kirtan - Thankyou my beloved veer ji.

Tuhada daas thanks for pointing that out it is manmat not kirtan infact only raag kirtan is strictly in line with gurmat. We should eventually boycott all non kirtan and bring guru ji's maryada to the forefront then we will truly have akand kirtan.

Forever the sadhsangat's daas

Consciousness

Fateh....

Once again this issue can be easily resolved by reading our (son much forgotten) rehat maryada. (see abtract taken from: http://www.sgpc.net/rehat_maryada/section_three_chap_five.html

CHAPTER V

Kirtan (Devotional Hymns Singing by a Group or an Indvidual)

Article VI <a name="article6" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: arial; font-size: small; ">

a) Only a Sikh may perform Kirtan in a congregation.

Hope this clarifies.

Fateh .. . .

No one claimed that this was Kirtan (which by the way is not specific to Sikhs, it is a general term) and I don't think anyone does think it is Gurbani Kirtan. They're just singing some songs