sikhs and alcohol

curioustoknow

Every community drinks. I used to drink as well but have stopped for the last two years. Sure it was fun at times, but at the end of the day it is not worth it. There is a reason why you always feel rubbish after drinking a lot of alcohol.

Let me explain my experiences with alcohol.

I found that there was not a single alcoholic drink that tasted good, i.e. something you can genuinely sip on for pure taste. Beer is just vile and spirits taste like petrol. I would rather drink juice and coke.

So why do people drink alcohol? It's because of the effect and nasha. It makes you more relaxed and lose your inhibitions which feels good initially. But to get to this state you have to drink quite a lot. You will then end up getting a headache, stomach ache or throwing up. Most likely you won't even remember half the stuff you did whilst drunk. As with any drug, after the high there is the depressing low. It simply isn't worth it.

A lot of people drink for 'social' reasons, they do this because they are uneasy with the people they are around, they cannot be themselves around these people, so it's all false. Since I stopped drinking, I've 'lost' some so called friends. Good riddance I say! Another reason people drink is simply boredom, they have nothing better to do. Do something valuable with your time, learn an instrument or martial art. It will be more rewarding in the end.

The simple fact that your body rejects alcohol should tell you that it's not good. It is literally abusing your body. It makes you do things that you regret.

Sikhs are the biggest drinkers in India. I read that Punjab has the most alcohol shops per square mile in the entire world! That is awful and not the kind of thing you want to be proud of. The English are the heaviest drinkers in Europe, so when you mix punjabi culture with this, you have a disaster.

I started a new job recently and an old Gujarati woman there told me that Sikh weddings are fun and brash and that there was plenty of drinking and a guaranteed fight. This is not the kind of image we want to portray of ourselves, yet some are even proud of this!