NSYF: Sikh Civil Rights Movement

Tejvir

Sikh Civil Rights Movement

Saturday 20 October | 6.30pm - 8.30pm | Gurdwara Singh Sabha Barking, 100 North Street, Barking, Essex. IG11 8JD

2012 marks 30 years since the start of the Dharam Yudh Morcha which saw thousands of Sikhs court arrest and imprisonment for the pursuit of civil rights in Panjab. Explore the Dharam Yudh Morcha within the context of similar Sikh-inspired movements for social, religious, economic and political equality since the time of Guru Nanak Sahib, and how these movements can be revived in current realities.

Seminar will be hosted by Harinder Singh of Sikh Research Institute (SikhRI) and organised by National Sikh Youth Federation (NSYF) in conjunction with Singh Sabha London East.

Interesting post by the ADMIN of this forum:

Read my post here: http://forums.wahegu...post__p__204098 . Also read that thread regarding harinder started going global.

This guy is total toxic. I would probably wash my hand thousand times if I meet him again. If you want to talk about it then let me know via pm.

Why Toxic:

1. Against Sri Dasam Granth. I don't need to explain more.

2. Against Ardas (Modified it). In 90's camps they used to say "Guru maneyo Panth...". That was their first mistake. They probably don't do that again but you will hear them "We are panth" over and over.

3. To them Meat is okay. Mostly 95% of their camps serves meat on their menu. Amritdhari camp goers eat meat regularly. Their official secondary youth sewadar in written admit and all california know that he eats meat openly while wearing kirpan. I can give names but i won't as it will get me in trouble.

4. Guru Granth Sahib ji Beadbi: To them it is certainly a book and they clearly have no respect. They still take guru sahib jee in carry-on roller bags from local gurdwara sahib to camp site.

5. School Syllabus: Sold and still selling their sunday gurdwara school syllabus with countless mistakes (mainly Ardas) and so on. You can find about that online. Bay Area (San Francisco) largest gurdwara sunday school teachers protested for more than one year and finally gave them ultimatum to put their school materials in garbage.

Though one good thing out of all bad is that they are pro-sikh movement. They are in together with insaaf and sikh coalition and recently with khalra organization. Other than that they should be really avoided at all cost; especially his interaction with youth or kids.

In response to my respected veer Tuhuda Daas' comments above,

The seminar which took place on 20 October 2012 will be uploaded on YouTube and will be shown on the Sikh Channel in the next few days. You can see the content of what was presented. In my view, Harinder Singh spoke at a very inspiring and pro-panthic level. I don’t know enough about the 90s and the above points but what he presented to an audience of around 150 young Sikhs was contextual, relevant and invigorating.

More or less every high-profile parcharak comes with a string of allegations or dissimilarities on view points, maryada, interpretations of Gurbani and ithaas. I don’t know how much of the above is true or is spin.

Over the last 28 years we have remained stagnant because we try to follow a standard pattern or formula; we haven’t realised what we’re really supposed to do, and we have never reached the potential where we are really supposed to go to. That’s because we can only see dissimilarities in each other. In order to progress forward, I feel we must concentrate on the strengths of people in our kaum, by finding out what’s unique about the person and capitalise on it. Harinder Singh posses an articulate ability to present modern history (particularly events leading to 1984) in a meaningful and objective way. No one else is currently able to do that, no Jathedar, no Baba, no Mukhi, no ordained Kathavachak. For that reason I feel there is a strong resource there for us all to tap into and shape our understanding of our own history.

Do you think that someone who puts guru sahib in a suitcase (this has been eye witnessed by many singhs from caifornia) can have guru sahib's blessings?

Do you think someone without guru sahib's blessings can ever do any good for the panth or anyone for that matter?

And please tell me what the 'point' of progressing the panth is? I thought the point of the panth is joining with the guru's feet, if we have oursleves disconnected ourselves from the guru's feet, 'furthering the panth' is pretty pointless isn't it? In fact who are we going to join to the panth if that is our own state?

It always start with the little compromise our people make and then after decades, our kids will be saying "Why the hell our kaum not progressing"

Good to compromise but never ever compromise when it comes to our gurbani, scriptures and respect of Guru Granth Sahib.

Change of Ardas - and this alone should be enough on not giving harinder free plane rides.