Beer Festival in Sikh Temple - Huddersfield

Pyara

If this venue really is now called "Apna Venue", and is not run, managed or owned by the Gurdwara and is run by council funding. Then whats the problem ??

From what I read here it appears:

- Hall was originall called Sikh Leisure Centre, affiliated to the Gurdwara, and with some councl funding.

- Due to mismanagement of funds, council stopped funding it.

- Management commitee changed to disassociate from Gurdwara, venue renamed.

- Now called Apna Venue..

Of course if the venue is still funded by sangat money and the Gurdwara still own it , then there is an issue..otherwise I dont see the problem

Cisco Singh , clearly you've been brainwashed by niddar too much and turn a blind eye to the real facts. the hall was built by using the SANGATS money.The akaal takht hukamnama says: any building that has been built with the sangats money or is on the land of the gurughar can only be used for gurmat activities !! so you tell me what is your problem with Akaal Takhts hukamanam?!

Gurbar Akaal...

beer festivals and such events are held in the venue infront of the Prospect street Huddersfield Gurdwara.

The venue was called the 'Sikh Leisure centre' since it opened. Recently, a year or so ago, it was re-named 'Apna Venue' - obvz because of the pressure from satkar groups etc.

The venue was built with funds raised in the Gurdwara from the Sangat. The venue is now supported by grants from the local gov. until a few years back the gov had stopped funding the venue because of a misuse of funds...someone filling their back pocket...this was obvz broadcasted under the 'Sikh Leisure Centre' banner.

With a new committee in place, independant to the Gurdwaras, and certain alterations in line with the council specs, the gov is again funding the venue. some community interest or something scheme.

many pre/post wedding events, parties, festivals etc take place here, alcohol meat music you name it. what seperates this venue from the gurdwara? a road.

To Pyara veerji, great intiative calling up the pardhaan of the gurdwara etc. The gurdwara committee changes every so often but its the same people, the same cr*p and nothing changes. Something seriously needs to be done about Huddersfield sangat. Sikhi is a thing of the long forgotten past here.

Pul chuk muaf ji

http://www.sikh24.co...r/#.UHuhLsVG-vY

UK Gurdwara ‘Beer Festival’ creates a stir

By: Sikh24 Editors

5590-Poster-Design.jpg

Beer Festival Poster – clearly advertising the venue as The ‘Sikh’ Leisure Centre

HUDDERSFIELD, West Yorkshire, UK (October 14, 2012)–A Beer Festival took place from 4th to 6thOctober at the ‘Sikh Leisure Centre’ on Prospect Street in Huddersfeld. Numerous posts on the Internet and YouTube videos of the Beer Festival filmed by participants linked the Beer Festival to the Sikh Gurdwara that stands opposite the Sikh Leisure Centre. The Beer Festival taking place in a Leisure Centre which is associated to the Gurdwara which is situated directly opposite to it and is known as the ‘Sikh’ Leisure Centre has created a stir within the wider Sikh community.

5590-Google-Groups-Picture.jpg

A post on Google groups about the Beer Festival

5590-Youtube.jpg

YouTube video posted by an attendee of the Beer Festival

The above Internet site and YouTube video clearly makes no distinction between the Sikh Leisure Centre and the Gurdwara. Whether the Leisure Centre has officially changed its name to ‘Apna Venue’ and it ‘officially’ tried to distance itself from being associated the Gurdwara – the fact remains that 1) the venue has been in the past funded by the Sikh Sangat, 2) in the past the venue has been under the management of the Gurdwara Committee and 3) the general public associates the hall even now to the Sikh community and Gurdwara.

It is irresponsible of the venue management that they allowed such an event to take place when firstly, drinking alcohol is a strict taboo in the Sikh faith which leads to apostasy, and secondly, alcohol is a great health concern not only for the Punjabi community living in Britain but for wider society. The Sikh community whether it is working under the name of the Gurdwara or a venue should be working to promote Sikh ethics, good health and values that better society rather than bring destruction and misery to society.

When members of the wider Sikh community contacted the Gurdwara Sahib, they failed to see what the problem was and claimed that the venue was independent from the Gurdwara Sahib. Rather than seek to promote the Sikh faith, it seems the Gurdwara Committee is happy to play ignorant and see no wrongdoing in the promotion of alcohol opposite the Guru’s Darbaar.

• 2 weeks later...

Sikhi is nowhere to be seen in Huddersfield, its sad to say but its the reality of it. All at the hands of our elders and leaders.

A couple years back a Kesadhari committee member petitioned to the local gov regarding the ban on tobacco displays. This was all over the local papers with his mugshot. So from an outsiders perspective, not only do Sikhs drink and hold beer festivals at their temples but they hold strong views for smoking too.

Each year, 2 Nagar Kirtans are held making a stop off at the Mandir were arti pooja and singing and clapping is performed infront of/to Maharaaj by the mandirs members. The mandir is on a small road (zetland road) with bars and clubs on either side and a 'chunky chicken' eat out and a 'Shisha' smoking place opposite. If going to the mandir is not bad enough, we take Maharaaj onto such roads. Our sangta rush into the mandir leaving Maharaaj behind. I do not go in so can not say what goes on. But since the mandir is just a 5min stop from the Gurdwara, i can not imagine they all go in to use the toilet facilities in the small house sized semi detached mandir.

The local Pandit of the mandir is called by so called sikh to perform whatever he does. I personally know of a family who called on the pandit after their daughter say a headless man. The pandit suggested that there was nothing to worry about since toof bati was performed in the room. As much as this makes me 'LOL', these sort of bakwaas pakand are in no short supply in hudds.

Milk donated to Gurdwara Sahib for langar is siphoned to sell on as paneer. The fridges containing this milk which the Sangat can very well make use of, are locked with padlocks. On a number of occasions rows arguements etc have taken place in the langar hall over this issue.

Lastly, Toona (blackmagic).

Bleach in a bottle of vinegar in the langar kitchen.

Nails (tacks/screws) in large amounts in the atta.

Nails (tacks/screws) in prashaad which someone had made and left in Darbar Sahib as chadava before Maharaaj.

Taveets (lockets with ash/notes encased) found in Gurdwara.

All this has been caught on camera and the guilty have been informed. Yes, that is all.

These matters had to be brought to the Sangats attention. Forgive me if i have offended anyone, upset anyone. If i have been untruthful about any of the above, may Maharaaj give me the worst sajja there is.

Pul chuk maaf ji