Meaning of word "Hindu" and Origins of this word ?

AjrawatSingh

The following links not to preach about this person,

but just saw it online

and seems to me authentic and want to share it :)

Could you share your views/from your knowledge on this term Hindu,

on it's origin of this word?

If it is not our word(indian) then why to use it?

and how could Sikhs accept this, if these are real meanings?

"Truly wonderful are the strength and vitality of Hinduism. It is like the boa constrictor of the Indian forests. When a petty enemy appears to worry it, it winds round its opponent, crushes it in its folds, and finally causes it to disappear in its capacious interior. In this way, many centuries ago, Hinduismon its own ground disposed of Buddhism which was largely a Hindu reformation; in thisway, in a pre-historic period, it absorbed the religion of the Scythian invaders of Northern

India; in this way, it is disposing of the reformed and once hopeful religion of Baba Nanak. Hinduism has embraced Sikhism in its folds; the still comparatively young religion is making a vigorous struggle for life, but its ultimate destruction is, it is apprehended, inevitable without state support." - Sir Max Arthur Macauliffe

What this vitality is the ability to make up history and twist something like the word hindu to fit their identity. The Muslim invaders called the natives hindus (thieves-low lives) because it was amusing to them.

The Hindus adopted and accepted the name. No such word Hindu is written anywhere in the books of the hindus. Prior to muslim invasion there was only the word brahmanism.

The Hindus adopted and accepted the name. No such word Hindu is written anywhere in the books of the hindus. Prior to muslim invasion there was only the word brahmanism.

Brahmanism?...that term was created by the firangi...the original term is sanatana dharma ...sanatana dharma predates modern 'hinduism'...the original dharma followed by humankind for thousands of years...which has been revived by sri guru nanak dev ji maharaj in kaliyuga

And bro you seriously have to stop quoting max arthur...really shows our inferiority complex when we have to quote a firangi in service of the british crown which pillaged, raped and plundered our kingdom ..

Thank you for replying

I have seen two thoughts online

1) Hindu is mistaken form of SINDHU - Indus river

The video in post 1, Pundit Mahendra Pal Condemn with Logic that if Persian could not speak 'S', then 'S' should not be present in their speaking order. Even Faarsi should be converted to FAARAHI

2) Hindu is muslim word of Arabic, Persian which does not have good meanings, which is accepted by many scholars. Even in Sikh Granths we have no meaning of Hindu something good like we have meanings of Real Yogi, Real Bairagi, Good Sanyasi, Real Brahmin, even real Musalmaan.... but nothing like REAL Hindu is present

Few people says that something like ZEND AVESTA, contains that word, if anyone have knowledge about that, any link of which line of Zend Avesta this word present.

Brahmanism?...that term was created by the firangi...the original term is sanatana dharma ...sanatana dharma predates modern 'hinduism'...the original dharma followed by humankind for thousands of years...which has been revived by sri guru nanak dev ji maharaj in kaliyuga

And bro you seriously have to stop quoting max arthur...really shows our inferiority complex when we have to quote a firangi in service of the british crown which pillaged, raped and plundered our kingdom ..

It shows your inferiority complex that you feel all Britishers were bad. Whether you like it or not, he speaks the truth, I'd argue that painting him under one flag of being a "mere firangi" and discrediting him is close minded not at all scholarly- a very anti-Sikh anti-Khalsa characteristic. You're British and if I used your same thoughts, I'd say the same about you, heck you'd say the same thing about yourself lol. He probably knew more about the Gurmukhi language and was exposed to actual Sikhi more than you and I were (irony?). His only drawback was he had a limited scope due to the fact he was a Britisher and he didn't commit to becoming a full Sikh (due to his own hesitations and being shunned by his own British people it made him double minded) although he did read Jap Ji Sahib on his deathbed so he was a Sikh at heart.

Pick up a history book and see what "hindu dharma" was called prior to Muslim invaders. It's was brahmanism or brahman. It turned into "hinduism" or whatever the term was called after they started to focus on a few gods out of the thousands they worshiped prior. Hindu was a recent word.

It's was brahmanism or brahman as it is mentioned in their books - the ultimate goal is to become a brahman over many lives so they made their system of power over india based on this (similar to the Jews and how Jesus spoke out against the corrupt priests). It turned into "hinduism" or whatever the term was called after they started to focus on a few gods out of the thousands they worshiped prior.

Yes, it was also called sanatan dharma, which is why Sant Singh Ji Maskeen refers to confused people who fall for the trap of being engulfed in brahman ritualism, worshipping of devi/devte and other non-Sikh acts as being people of "sanatan mat". Sanatan strictly in this case means hindu mat brahman mat or what we're discussing right now. NOT TIMELESS.

Sanatan may or may not also mean timeless, but in this case that we're discussing it means hindu dharma.

The edit button really needs to be fixed lol.

Concerning the word Hindu if you think about it a commen argument is that the Persians could not pronounce "Sindhu", so they pronounced it Hindu. If you consider it though many "s" words in Hindi come form Persian, like Samosa from Sambosa. And there are many other such words which exposes the "Sindhu" argument to be a lie.

Ajrawat Singh cleared that up. Bani mentions Hindu in this context:

ਮਃ ੧ ॥

मः १ ॥

Mėhlā 1.

First Mehl:

ਹਿੰਦੂ ਮੂਲੇ ਭੂਲੇ ਅਖੁਟੀ ਜਾਂਹੀ ॥

हिंदू मूले भूले अखुटी जांही ॥

Hinḏū mūle bẖūle akẖutī jāʼnhī.

The Hindus have forgotten the Primal Lord; they are going the wrong way.

ਨਾਰਦਿ ਕਹਿਆ ਸਿ ਪੂਜ ਕਰਾਂਹੀ ॥

नारदि कहिआ सि पूज करांही ॥

Nāraḏ kahi▫ā sė pūj karāʼnhī.

As Naarad instructed them, they are worshipping idols.

ਅੰਧੇ ਗੁੰਗੇ ਅੰਧ ਅੰਧਾਰੁ ॥

अंधे गुंगे अंध अंधारु ॥

Anḏẖe gunge anḏẖ anḏẖār.

They are blind and mute, the blindest of the blind.

ਪਾਥਰੁ ਲੇ ਪੂਜਹਿ ਮੁਗਧ ਗਵਾਰ ॥

पाथरु ले पूजहि मुगध गवार ॥

Pāthar le pūjėh mugaḏẖ gavār.

The ignorant fools pick up stones and worship them.

ਓਹਿ ਜਾ ਆਪਿ ਡੁਬੇ ਤੁਮ ਕਹਾ ਤਰਣਹਾਰੁ ॥੨॥

ओहि जा आपि डुबे तुम कहा तरणहारु ॥२॥

Ohi jā āp dube ṯum kahā ṯaraṇhār. ||2||

But when those stones themselves sink, who will carry you across? ||2||

I would say Hindu is a term which was adopted by followers of Sanatan Dharm but what beats me is why someone would name themselves after an insult. Again though I might be wrong but wasn't India already riddled with caste etc. before the Persians came? That would mean they are following Sanatan Dharam under a different name only. I wonder what Nirmala sants, and Bhindra Taksal have to say about this. From the works of Gyani Gurbachan Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranwale I have read, thanks to some members on this forum I am sure he would have elaborated on the meaning of the word.

So what if he was a firangi? As far as I am concerned hes one of the unsung heroes of Sikhi. Again hes much better than the likes of Trump.