first kirpan experience

rrss

A double sided sharp/serrated blade hunting knife in a leg strap sheath would be more practical and useful.

I was just thinking about this issue of kirpan last night. I thought a strap to a limb would be best. I was thinking about strapping it to the forearm so the tip was pointed towards the elbow and the handle towards the wrist. When you drew the weapon, your left arm would be ready to defend whilst the right would be ready to attack with the blade.

just get a sharper kirpan, a more longer one. drawing a weapon from the hip is pretty easy..... question. where will you be wearing the kirapan, over or under your clothes?

Over clothes and ready for use. My opinion is that length is not as much of as an issue (unless ridiculously small) as the blade design and as you say, sharpness. I want a kirpan with straight tip so that it can be thrown at a target to pierce and one serrated and one very sharp edge. Perhaps something like this:

w5414%20Black%20Serrated%20Hunting%20Knife%20With%20Sheath.jpg

Does anyone know where the kirpan style pictured below originated from? Is it just a small version of a longer sword or has kirpan always been curve tipped with one sided blade?

9-inch-single-kirpan-4-400x400.jpg

I just bought belt type gatra..its much more practical and comfortable ....i think belt type gatra used to be traditional..i m not sure whose idea was to come up with across type gatra as khalistan veer said, they made it as pure symbolism as opposed to actual shastar.

Belt type sounds good. Thigh or lower leg is another option too...

Gatra is actually the best if you're keeping one shastar.

I suppose so. My only gripe is the gatra coming in the way and potentially being used against me in close hand to hand combat against a skilled opponent.

I'm just shocked at the lack of martial arts aptitude in our young Singhs. That video of the rolled up magazine is such a joke. Its unbelievable that anyone would post this video as an example of effective technique let alone an Amritdhari Singh. Singho wake up and learn some real combat. Its our duty to train real effective martial arts that work in real time fast situations. Best way to do get good at this is to practice real time fast sparring.

Agreed. Even a sharp kirpan is no match for being trained in any martial art.

I was just thinking about this issue of kirpan last night. I thought a strap to a limb would be best. I was thinking about strapping it to the forearm so the tip was pointed towards the elbow and the handle towards the wrist. When you drew the weapon, your left arm would be ready to defend whilst the right would be ready to attack with the blade.

I see you know your martial arts, but with a pseudonym like yours it does't come as a surprise :biggrin2:

I think limb would be very practical. Strapping upwards to forearm is really good idea, coupled with left forearm high defence position and right arm bent at waist ready for action.

Gatra can be worn for long shastars, kamar kassa is best for very small shastars as they can be concealed and drawn much quiker than in a gatra..

Also to add the taksal style "kirpan" originated during british rule, at one point all singhs wearing dumalleh and 3footies were hunted hence the nihang singhs migrated to hazoor sahib.

Then the british changed the rules and made the taksali style kirpan and made it into a "symbol" which then came into mainstream sikhs

Go hazoor sahib.. All the shastars u will see are pesh kabz, kanjars, katars etc

So you have a idea of what types of shasters singhs kept back in the days

Admin could u let my posts go through thanks

So before the taksal style kirpan everyone just wore 3 ft swords as a 'kirpan' kakkar? If they had smaller version, did it look any different from the taksali kirpan?

Another question regarding gatra- does the upper loop need to remain fixed on the handle? The kirpan seemingly can't be fully removed from the sheath with gatra loop fixed on the handle.

Thanks.

I think its normal misconception that bigger the shastar is more damage its going to do, thats NOT necessarily true at all cases. I have seen some small slick shastars which puts mainstream kirpans to shame..!!!..It's really time youths start researching on these things and start rising from cultish mentality- oh i look i bought taksali kirpan its 10 inch..mine is bigger, yours is smaller...do be do quack quack quack...lol!!

I think its normal misconception that bigger the shastar is more damage its going to do, thats NOT necessarily true at all cases. I have seen some small slick shastars which puts mainstream kirpans to shame..!!!..It's really time youths start researching on these things and start rising from cultish mentality- oh i look i bought taksali kirpan its 10 inch..mine is bigger, yours is smaller...do be do quack quack quack...lol!!

I agree with that, but a taksali kirpan properly sharpened with a stone will do serious damage. The ideal is 5-6 inches as the bigger ones aren't that practical in my opinion.

With that said, even Guru Sahib had a gatra for smaller weapons. Kammar kassa was also used though.

I am using both belt and other type of gatra.?

That's cool, I'm just saying a gatra is very practical and has been used since the beginning. (along with kammar kassa for extra weapons and ensuring gatra is secure)

A belt clip kirpan is probably the best option if you have a leather belt on your pants because it will raise less eyebrows and makes it legal since it's open carry here in California unless local city regulations say otherwise.