which Janam Sakhi is considered most authentic?

Generally speaking, I don't know which sakhiya are true or not but one thing i do know - sakhiya are in the panth to make a point, its there to show tat(essence) behind it like moral behind a story just like treh charitar behind 405 tales of men and women you pick up moral behind it....sayana person takes the tat(essence) of each sakhi and leave sakhi itself alone does not matter if its fake or not but one in beginner stage or less bibek buddhi will wrap his/her head around the sakhi and missing the whole tat/essence/point behind the sakhi either blow it out of proparation or big it up..

Sakhiya is a parchar tool, its there to show an greater point or moral of each sakhiya...!!

Some sakhiya does not sit well with others despite of having historical relics/monument behind the sakhi..history does not take sides nor it comforts or caters one dimensional view or thought..the reason behind that some sakhiya does not sit well with others because sometimes we(mostly youths) do get more caught up in cultish type of mentality - start rejecting sakhiya just because sant ji or bhai sahib ji or mahant ji or jathedar ji didn't say so or write about it or believe in it.....instead of actually looking at gurmat from eagle eye..!!

Speaking from my own personal experience when i got into sikhi..i used to be quite cultish but as you grow spiritually with time. I got salvation from cultish mentality now by maharaj kirpa i see gurmat from eagle eye - full 360 degree view..maharaj bless with this amazing clear view of Gurmat from eagle eye, its a beautiful view worth living and die for over and over again until fully loosing yourself in Ik Ongkar..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mcleod has done some quite good research into his work on the Janamsakhis. It is interesting to read, and given that, when compared to some of the other rubbish he has written, this is well worth reading.

No janam sakhi is considered the most authentic, but the most commonly used and paraphrased janamsakhi is Bhai Bala's Janam Sakhi.

it would be quite nice to list the different janamsakhis here.

I can start with these:

Bhai Bala's

Hafizabad Janamsakhi

Puratan Janamsakhi.

Bhai Mani Singh's Janamsakhi.

You make sense again, LOL! :D

I think we should use the updesh of Gurbani as the measuring scale to decide what is Gurmat/Manmat, which Rehitnama/Janamsakhi is consistent with Gurbani and in accordance with Gurbani's updesh, and only those should be accepted, what do you say? Please correct me if I am wrong.

chatanga veer, I read about the 4 you mentioned, and from what I gathered, the most parchallat ones are Bhai Bala's, Bhai Mani singh ji's and the more recent Vilayat waali (is it same as Puratan Janamsakhi?). Please shed some more light on these 3 (or 4?).

The vilayat wali janamsakhi is said to be a copy of the Puratan Janamsakhi, which was made as a present for the Queen of the England, as she was also the Queen of india as well. Whether this is true or not, i dont know, but i will find mcleods book and have a re-read of it, and see if there is anything i can add here.

I think we should use the updesh of Gurbani as the measuring scale to decide what is Gurmat/Manmat, which Rehitnama/Janamsakhi is consistent with Gurbani and in accordance with Gurbani's updesh, and only those should be accepted, what do you say? Please correct me if I am wrong.

That makes logical sense but its tricky work because you have various interpretation of gurbani based on human consciousnesses and perception, gurbani supports meta reality, full journey of human consciousness from many to one(ikongkar). There cannot and should not be one standardized version(like sikhitothemax among youths) of interpertating gurbani. How could one confine parkash (gurbani) in a tunnel?. Sant gurbachan singh ji bhindranwale did katha of sri guru granth sahib ji 35 times at the end he dissolve himself in gurbani- agam agad bodh rather than attempting more..!!

Based on natural various interpretation of gurbani, it should not be used as general stick or default rule as its never meant to measure each rehitnama or janam sakhi with gurbani as gurbani never meant to be rule chart. In other words, gurbani does not dictate which leg you should put your kachera on first? how you go about spending your honeymoon with your newly wed..or how to live your life socially? We have sri dasam granth and prem sumarag granth for that... Gurbani is guide how to become one with God. Yes your spiritual life should intertwine with your social life but intertwine not replace, thats key difference here..guru maharaj gave us order to live life socially and be in gristh jeevan.

I mean i understand there are some highly dubious sakhiya out there, right off the bat they could be filtered out and are not compatible with gurmat thought such as- showing sikhs drinking alchohol, having pre-martial affairs so somehow its acceptable and guru sahib having sukha and somehow its acceptable all the across the board.!!

Some sakhiya are easy to filter than others, others sakhiya which are complicated- Gurmatta sarbat khalsa should be called inviting all historians, scholars and saints from all samparda's and jatha carefully anyalize the contents of a sakhi with gurmat before coming up consensus.

I am against bhai vir singh self righteous style of editing. Bhai Vir Singh Ji was great gursikh and had lot of bhagti.. i just start reading his work..its amazing... With that being said, bhai vir singh ji made some questionable decisions in his life especially when he edited soraj parkash granth. It's not the editing parts itself which are questionable its how he went about doing it without calling Gurmata/sarbat khalsa meeting on it where all scholars of panth including puratan samparda would have been invited and issues would be discussed . He never bothered to consult wider panth.. If he felt so strongly about sections in soraj parkash granth he should have called an gurmatta meeting or if not should come up rebuttal book refuting things in soraj parkash granth. Overall, from scholarly perspective its set bad precedence in Sikh academia that any scholar if great can edit ithahisk granths on thier own without any gurmatta. Gurmatta/Sarbat Khalsa are the only way to go in Gurmat when it comes to editing anything whether its historical events or sikhi school of thought etc..!!

Based on natural various interpretation of gurbani, it should not be used as general stick or default rule as its never meant to measure each rehitnama or janam sakhi with gurbani as gurbani never meant to be rule chart.
That was brilliant veer, thats a very indepth way to look at things. Thanks for clarifying. Makes sense.

I don't want to prevent the discussion about Bhai Vir Singh ji, but would you mind starting a separate thread about it? I mean its ok with me if we continue discussing here in this thread itself, but don't want to go offtrack.

Chalo upto you :D

Haan ji, bhai vir singh ji was a example had to mention..thats all.

Regarding my point above:

Based on natural various interpretation of gurbani, it should not be used as general stick or default rule as its never meant to measure each rehitnama or janam sakhi with gurbani as gurbani never meant to be rule chart.

I like to further clarify by giving example how using gurbani as a general stick or default rule to measure everything else in sikhi can go really bad sometimes even self-inflicting outright damaging. Lot of anti-dasam granth supporters use sri guru granth sahib ji- gurbani to dis-approve sri dasam granth sahib ji. What they don't know- their method itself is invalid, incompatible as we never meant to do that, thats not why gurbani pargat itself in this world:

Why would anyone use spiritual guide- gurbani to debunk social life/worldy life..it does not make sense..its two side of same coin for sikh. sri dasam granth sahib ji never meant to be raw spiritual granth but social life granth along with spirituality as you have below:

Within the Dasam Guru Durbar, there can be found three main types of scripture:

1. 'Amrit Mai Bani' (translates as 'Immortal scripture'). This is type of scripture talks of spiritual matters only like the Adi Guru Durbar.

2. 'Yudh Mai Bani' (translates as 'War scripture'). This type of scripture talks of warfare that is in the most part mythological, however, in 'Bachitter Nattak', the Guru tells of his own battle experiences.

3. 'Sansar Mai Abbeck dee Bani' (translates as the 'worldly scripture of Ignorance')