Sensitive about topknots

Guest Sue

In a school or at a workplace, everyone is bound by certain rules and codes of conduct. In a street no one is. At school there is a discipline that every teacher and student is expected to adhere to, and every action has a consequence based on whatever protocols they follow. The same doesn't hold good for a random street. I am not sure how and why you compared the two.

i think where i was going with that probably side tracks from this discussion a bit and isnt needed. good point though.

Like if she sed oi bobble head than this will be bad but top knot is what it is and will be a knot on the top is it not

thats what i was said in my earlier post, but i think you've totally missed the point. Its not just about the topknot being called a topknot. The boy in question may not want to be known as "the boy with the topknot". He may not be comfortable as being known by those terms. Even though amongst ourselves we might say things like 'Oh guttee vale munde nu haak maree!', so its funny how we do use topknot to identify people yet in the wrong situation using the same words to identify same person gets you in trouble.

I had a topknot/turban during school years myself, so I do understand how for someone else it could be offensive, or even not offensive but just awkward as theyve been put on the spot infront of 200 kids.

In punjabi school I remember a teacher identifying a kid by the color of his ramaal(cloth) on his topknot, but the same kid may not be comfortable with being identified by his white teacher infront of his white friends. This issues a bit deeper than i first thought and I understand that bit,

I just cant get over the irony of it all. I mean we can complicate this all we want but simple matter is she called the boy with the topknot "the boy with the topknot". that was the teachers mistake. I think the issues come from us complicating things and bringing our own insecurities and egos into it.