Hurricane Sandy

Mehtab Singh

Never understood this nonsense western idea of naming deadly occurrences as if they were the family pet. Of course I do understand that the practice has its origins in the Christian religion and particularly the Catholic traditions in the islands of the Carribean whereby deadly storms were given names begging the protection of christian saints. Still, as a son of the east, who's anscestors were writing the alphabet whilst the anscestors of the people that give storms names were eating each other in the caves of europe......I find the whole thing difficult to understand. I mean we have natural disasters in Punjab that cause massive destruction and take a massive number of lives. We don't feel the need to call them 'Flood Baljinder'...or 'Dust-storm Kamaljit'......or 'earthquake Boblee'.

Still, having said what I've said, I feel for all of you in the path of the storm in north America. I can imagine its difficult times for you and your loved ones. Hope Waheguru keeps you and your homes safe.

The person who died in Canada was hit by a flying sign.

Kitchener/waterloo is right on green belt.. once i was driving on 401, hail came out of nowhere in hot sunny day..!!!..crazy..its like targeted crap shoot from sky..haha...lol

Lol

It was snowing briefly but then turned to rain

Never understood this nonsense western idea of naming deadly occurrences as if they were the family pet. Of course I do understand that the practice has its origins in the Christian religion and particularly the Catholic traditions in the islands of the Carribean whereby deadly storms were given names begging the protection of christian saints. Still, as a son of the east, who's anscestors were writing the alphabet whilst the anscestors of the people that give storms names were eating each other in the caves of europe......I find the whole thing difficult to understand. I mean we have natural disasters in Punjab that cause massive destruction and take a massive number of lives. We don't feel the need to call them 'Flood Baljinder'...or 'Dust-storm Kamaljit'......or 'earthquake Boblee'.

Still, having said what I've said, I feel for all of you in the path of the storm in north America. I can imagine its difficult times for you and your loved ones. Hope Waheguru keeps you and your homes safe.

no one names earthquakes or dust storms. Only hurricanes, and that is because there are so many of them each year it makes it easier to identify and so everyone knows which one you are referring to