Sikh perspective on Eid and slaughtering of countless animals.

Singh559

Religion aside, anyone with an ounce of compassion for living things must baulk at such senseless slaughter of animals.

Why is it senseless? It is to you, but to them its Gods work, as they give the meat out free to all who want it. Forget what they do, lets concentrate on :

a) getting Sikhs to accept Sri Akal Takht Sahib Maryada, that Halal is an absolute no-no for Sikhs;

or

b) if you beleive that a vegetarian Sikh is the true Sikh, then to promote that.

Father Christmas is very compassionate, but millions of Turkeys are killed in Dorset, UK, alone.

Father Christmas is very compassionate, but millions of Turkeys are killed in Dorset, UK, alone.

That's what i was saying regarding thanksgiving day which millions of turkeys are killed in US yet we don't have any problem saying- happy thanksgiving day to gorreh's...for them without turkey there is no thanksgiving ..i once said - happy thanksgiving to gorreh at work he turned around saying - happy thanksgiving to you too but then asked me- you having a nice cooked turkey eh? oh boi that was bit awkard moment..i didn't know what to say back just brushed it off..!!

happy thanksgiving to you too but then asked me- you having a nice cooked turkey eh? oh boi that was bit awkard moment..i didn't know what to say back just brushed it off..!!

You should have said something about your wife being a terrible cook, and she put you off thanksgiving turkeys for life.

That's what i was saying regarding thanksgiving day which millions of turkeys are killed in US yet we don't have any problem saying- happy thanksgiving day to gorreh's...for them without turkey there is no thanksgiving ..i once said - happy thanksgiving to gorreh at work he turned around saying - happy thanksgiving to you too but then asked me- you having a nice cooked turkey eh? oh boi that was bit awkard moment..i didn't know what to say back just brushed it off..!!

Just should have proudly said I'm more of a corn on a cob and mashed patatos kind of guy...lol

Gurbani says fools argue over eating meat, but in the Gurbani in the original post it makes it clear that such ritualism is pointless and hypocritical. So please don't turn this into a mean vs. veg discussion, clearly in the west there is a standard of humanely killing animals for whatever reason and again, if you go the proper avenues you can change a lot.

Why Sikhs don't eat halaal is because it's done reciting kalaam and because it's torturing a life. Sab mein jot jot hai soe, tis de chaanan sab mein chaanan hoe. If you torture even one soul, you're torturing Waheguru.

Why is it senseless? It is to you, but to them its Gods work, as they give the meat out free to all who want it.

Giving it out for free doesn't negate the manner in which the animal is killed. If they think by handing out meat will somehow balance the scales of "justice" in their favour (by cancelling out the animal slaughter) then they're having a laugh.

Yet still I say they (and anyone else for that matter) can do whatever they like. I just don't agree with it, and I'll stick to whatever sits right with my conscience.

Put it this way: If I wasn't a Sikh I still wouldn't eat meat. That's the easiest way I can describe where I'm coming from.

Some people eat meat but prefer not to think about how it ended up on their plate. Apparently it puts them off. :biggrin2: Not me though. I'm a bird-seed and leaf eater.

Why is it senseless? It is to you, but to them its Gods work, as they give the meat out free to all who want it. Forget what they do, lets concentrate on :

a) getting Sikhs to accept Sri Akal Takht Sahib Maryada, that Halal is an absolute no-no for Sikhs;

or

b) if you beleive that a vegetarian Sikh is the true Sikh, then to promote that.

From Sikhi perspective it is senseless. But if you tell them that, they won't listen to you. I told a Muslim friend that Sikhs can't eat halaal meat (he was offering me some kabaab) and he got super offended. Let them carry on, just don't participate.

Kabeer ji says that they slaughter animals and call it a righteous action, but then what would they call an unrighteous action?

The point being, it doesn't make sense to kill in the name of God. It doesn't make you a holy person.

On the other side of the same coin, Guru Nanak dev ji says that those who don't eat meat and make a show in front of others are hypocrites, because they devour the flesh of their spouse at night. They don't understand what meat is and where it comes from.

Thus, forgoing meat doesn't make you a holy person either.

Akal Takht Maryada bans ritualistic slaughter of animals (Halaal, Kosher), because it is senseless. It does not ban eating of meat, because that isn't gurmat either.

Eat what you want. Stop criticizing others when you don't even know yourself.

EDIT: Just to be absolutely clear, that last line was NOT aimed at you Chatanga ji, ha ha.

Just should have proudly said I'm more of a corn on a cob and mashed patatos kind of guy...lol

Yeah next time..lol..never thought of that.

Gurbani says fools argue over eating meat, but in the Gurbani in the original post it makes it clear that such ritualism is pointless and hypocritical. So please don't turn this into a mean vs. veg discussion, clearly in the west there is a standard of humanely killing animals for whatever reason and again, if you go the proper avenues you can change a lot.

Killing is killing singh but what should matter is intent. I haven't done much research on halal or how they do it but i do know its some sort of offering. Halal is haram for a sikh because of suffering involved. However with being said, its not so much an ritual but rather intent/perception of an individual surrounding the ritual itself - making it dogmatic that itself is against Gurmat.

I think if muslims were in kingdom of guru maharaj. Guru Maharaj would let them do halal not because its not humane but rather simply on premises- on freedom of religion. I meant if we look at it- sri guru tegh bahudar gave shahidi for kashmiri pandits not on premises of - he agreed with hindu rituals performed by kashmiri pandits but on premises of - freedom of religion/freedom to practice religion freely. I think gurmat principles is against oppression of any kind regardless if gurmat agrees with party rituals or not.

Yeah next time..lol..never thought of that.

Killing is killing singh but what should matter is intent. I haven't done much research on halal or how they do it but i do know its some sort of offering. Halal is haram for a sikh because of suffering involved. However with being said, its not so much an ritual but rather intent/perception of an individual surrounding the ritual itself - making it dogmatic that itself is against Gurmat.

I think if muslims were in kingdom of guru maharaj. Guru Maharaj would let them do halal not because its not humane but rather simply on premises- on freedom of religion. I meant if we look at it- sri guru tegh bahudar gave shahidi for kashmiri pandits not on premises of - he agreed with hindu rituals performed by kashmiri pandits but on premises of - freedom of religion/freedom to practice religion freely. I think gurmat principles is against oppression of any kind regardless if gurmat agrees with party rituals or not.

Agreed, it wouldn't be banned under Khalsa Raaj.

Culturally speaking many moderate Muslims also condemn the halaal suffering ritual caused by slashing of the throats of countless animals. The point of this thread is to merely get a discussion going on so people can be better informed before they wish "Happy Eid" and see if they agree with it or not.

I don't care if someone says it, but I know many people who say it have no idea what happens on Eid.

Most people would be vegetarians until they had to get the animal, kill it and cook it themselves. I think saying happy eid is something similar to what I said in the previous sentence in that it desensitizes someone from what really happens.

I understand what you saying but see the thing is - halal is just one aspect of EID(like jhatka is one aspect in jor mela of huge sikh holla mohalla) i m sure there is bigger purpose and other aspect of EID like- prayers to allah in mosque other universal things which all religions believe. Don't you think by capitalizing on one aspect of EID - halal we are kind of over shadowing their whole event by not greeting them back or not greeting them in general? :huh2:

From Sikhi perspective it is senseless. But if you tell them that, they won't listen to you. I told a Muslim friend that Sikhs can't eat halaal meat (he was offering me some kabaab) and he got super offended. Let them carry on, just don't participate.

EDIT: Just to be absolutely clear, that last line was NOT aimed at you Chatanga ji, ha ha.

Thanks Bhaji, I know where you are coming from. I have told some muslims friends that Siksha cannot eat Halal, and the disbeileif on their faces...

Giving it out for free doesn't negate the manner in which the animal is killed. If they think by handing out meat will somehow balance the scales of "justice" in their favour (by cancelling out the animal slaughter) then they're having a laugh.

Can you see the similarity in this topic and that of the Buddhist Monk who set himslef on fire to protest against the attacks on his people?

You have killing an animal on one side, and feeding the meat to hungry people on the other. I can see the equation.