Attack on Sikh family

sweetshera

@ WLS - You're off-target with this one, fella. Call me a Jain or a Buddhist all you want but - if it is Singhs that are behind this thuggish behaviour in a misguided atttempt to uphold Sikh values (if not I apologise unreservedly) - there's better ways of dealing with this kind of situation without smashing someone's windows in.

Sipahi doesn't equal intimidation or thuggery. Not where I come from anyway.

For someone of your intelligence I'm surprised you don't see where this will all end up. Issues like these aren't settled on the street, but in the so-called respectable locations of the media, radio-phone ins, newspapers, etc. That's where the real battlefield is these days, and sadly, we ARE being smashed and will continue to be smashed until we learn to play the game.

Look, I've enjoyed a ruck in the past. It gets the blood pumping and there's nothing wrong with that. But there's a time and place.

i take a flight directly to Amritar, OR, land at delhi airport and take a smaller plane to punjab. cos i'm cool like that 8)

27000621.jpg

@ WLS - You're off-target with this one, fella. Call me a Jain or a Buddhist all you want but - if it is Singhs that are behind this thuggish behaviour in a misguided atttempt to uphold Sikh values (if not I apologise unreservedly) - there's better ways of dealing with this kind of situation without smashing someone's windows in.

Sipahi doesn't equal intimidation or thuggery. Not where I come from anyway.

For someone of your intelligence I'm surprised you don't see where this will all end up. Issues like these aren't settled on the street, but in the so-called respectable locations of the media, radio-phone ins, newspapers, etc. That's where the real battlefield is these days, and sadly, we ARE being smashed and will continue to be smashed until we learn to play the game.

I'm not off target with this one at all Kaljugi. You're acting as if this is a brand new problem that might be resolved through talking. Its not a brand new problem. Its a problem that has run its natural course and has now, finally, reached its natural conclusion. We Sikhs have been trying to educate with kind words for 20 years now how a non-Sikh cannot get married in a Gurdwara. Churches don't allow it, Mosques don't allow it and Synagogues don't allow it either. Where have 'words' got us in the last 20 years. Words can only reach reasonable people who have ears that are willing to listen and brains capable of absorbing the information that comes through those ears. As we've seen, there are many in our community that do not possess this capability. For them, they only sit up and take notice when their beloved material possessions are damaged. Their Range Rover wing mirror means far more to them than their Guru. Such people will do anything to avoid getting a scratch on their Audi. Sometimes you have to sink to a low level just to reach the low mental level people.

You may not like what the 'window smashers' did but I personally think they've postively advanced the final and long overdue resolving of this problem.

WLS,

you sound like shere punjab loyalist. I have news for you- sikhi does not start with shere punjab and does not end there. Stop bringing shere punjab tribalism into sikhi..!!! Punjabi tribalism have already done enough damage to sikhi by super imposing itself - uninvited on sikhi..!!!

I geniunely disagree with your comments Kaljugi although the pen is indeed mightier than the sword more important is the person holding it. How long have we had our own channels and asian radio shows and asian writers our own papers yet we seem to have probably gone backwards if anything we dont have any key politicians on our side striving to keep us happy....and certainly although a small % of the country we have a very good combined wealth and therefore power.

Although i agree there is a better way to deal with stuff like this im struggling to come up with the answer......

Petitioned the gurdwara ignored, told the sangat ignored, threatened the family (silly) but ignored atleast we are showing that we will not continue to be IGNORED

WLS,

you sound like shere punjab loyalist. I have news for you- sikhi does not start with shere punjab and does not end there. Stop bring shere punjab tribalism into sikhi..!!! Punjabi tribalism have already done enough damage to sikhi by super imposing itself - uninvited on sikhi..!!!

N30singh, I am but who I am. I've never hidden from the fact that I am quite simply not up to par with spiritual matters. You don't really need me to tell you that though as I'm sure you've noticed how I never write on any spiritual matters involving scriptures etc. I am but a foot soldier. Every nation seeking freedom from oppression needs both these sides to succeed. Its the job of the political street lot to sometimes keep the spiritual lot in check and vice versa. All we're seeing on these 5 or 6 pages is the sound of these ideologies clashing. Thats not a bad thing. At least we're showing each other we're still alive and kicking.

I am but a foot soldier. Every nation seeking freedom from oppression needs both these sides to succeed. Its the job of the political street lot to sometimes keep the spiritual lot in check and vice versa.

I totally agree. But there has to be a balance. You going to have to try quite harder to convince our sikh community at large and our leader- sri akaal takth sahib jathedar etc that violence is a answer to these situations.

Everyone has to calm down and think about larger implications of whatever we doing in haste..you give kid- candy- kid comes back ...you give him beating- he aint coming back in fear and tell lot of like minded kids in his company about it..i thought you are phd student..this stuff should be walking on water for you. here dude i am thinking i m going to learn things from you since you are phd student, but you are telling us things which drop out high school student would tell us..try harder next time...!!

N30singh, I am but who I am. I've never hidden from the fact that I am quite simply not up to par with spiritual matters. You don't really need me to tell you that though as I'm sure you've noticed how I never write on any spiritual matters involving scriptures etc. I am but a foot soldier. Every nation seeking freedom from oppression needs both these sides to succeed. Its the job of the political street lot to sometimes keep the spiritual lot in check and vice versa. All we're seeing on these 5 or 6 pages is the sound of these ideologies clashing. Thats not a bad thing. At least we're showing each other we're still alive and kicking.

I guess age and experience factors into it as well. If you'd asked me the "correct" approach to solving this issue I'd have gone down the route of getting shirty as recently as 5 or 6 years ago. On the street level I will concede that words gets around and people think twice before getting up to bakwaas.

However, the problem we encounter as SIkhs when taking the 'rough and tumble' route is that we alienate not only the wider, non-Sikh public (which then leads to a gradual swell of anti-Sikh feeling) BUT we also don't have our own people on-side. That's our biggest failing. When stuff kicks off in the Islamic community regarding an issue which is strictly theological they all - by and large - band together and show their solidarity. We Sikhs are an absolute joke when it comes to unity. We place personal desires and agendas over what is best for Sikhs. That's why I believe getting hot and bothered in issues such as these is a losing situation.

If you were to push me I'd say getting physical regarding this issue is a viable option. But at this moment in time there's no need for that. Measuring time-scales relative to our own lives may seem like many years have passed, but look at the big picture and you realise those who do kick-off, and for them it's more about getting impatient and not wanting to take the tougher, less controversial route which may not yield immediate results but does make headlines for all the wrong reasons, as opposed to riding it out and planning for an outcome which achieves our goals albeit at a slower pace.

EDIT: apologies to anyone reading the above if you find my grammar and syntax is all over the shop. Somedays you just want to get it all out without worrying about the details.

This wasn't handled properly, it should have been done according to Gurmat and not in haste/violence.

Getting riled up and acting in haste will only hurt the cause you're trying to bring justice to. This is the 21st century and now, more than ever (as it always has been), it's important to realize mere intentions isn't good enough. You have to be intelligent, calm, cool and should think through your actions.,

Want to channel that "energy", go find those two fake gianis and beat the living crap out of them

Great post singh559.

Want to channel that "energy", go find those two fake gianis and beat the living crap out of them

I am sure that would be touchy for some people ..well wait- what house cleaning? It's ok let the dirt be under the carpet externally looks good and clean...bachera gyanis they were away from family for so long..time to time - hanky panky..its fine and ok

Its the job of the political street lot to sometimes keep the spiritual lot in check and vice versa

Thats what Rajputs and Brahmins do, isnt it?

The above is quite the opposite to the character of a true Sikh....a Sant-Sipahi, who keep themselves in check.