~Revamp/Tweak standard sikhi parchar in Gurdwara's/Sikhi Camps~

N30S1NGH

Based on new initiative- Sikhsangat think tank- http://www.sikhsanga...gat-think-tank/ , I am opening up this thread to have constructive discussion on this topic-

Revamp/tweak standard sikhi parchar to those who are new to sikhi..!!

I personally been two camps in toronto when i first got into sikhi. They both have strength and weakness. Whilst, they have lot to discuss on sikh political activism, unfortunately they were out of depth when it comes to sikhi spirituality and they fail to provide basic framework to connect everyone- especially youths who are new to sikhi (mona/keshadhari alike).

Here are some of the weakness in parchar in sikhi camp/gurdwara's these days:

- Fail to connect to wider sikh youths because may be going too over board providing guilt trips/political activism/sipahi aspect of sikhi.

- Fail to provide basic layout frame work for sikh foundation- Ikgonkar (Sargun and Nirgun intertwine relationship) instead focusing protestant version of God and focusing entirely on maryada instead of striking a right balance

- Fail to provide youths who are new to sikhi, something they can relate to their own personal (beautiful sikhi perception of body/mind/soul/consciousness/creation/relation), most of youths have already heard concept of protestant version of God in western countries/ or if they happen to go to catholic high school.

Overall problem with Sikhi parchar failing to highlight/promote sikh spirituality leading youths to explore elsewhere- radhaswamis/nirankaris/christianity/islam-

http://www.sikhsanga..._10#entry541621

Solutions/more improvements.

- Instead of going over board providing guilt trips, just provide beautiful concept of keeping hair in relation to nature, science, distinctive feature and our history of great predecessors shahids/mahapursh/saints and leave it that- i m not suggesting downplay it but at the same time don't let topic surrounding maryada takes precedence over everything, whole camp experience, and move on crucial topics which they can relate to such as mind, body, soul, consciousness, sargun and nirgun.

http://www.sikhsanga...on-amritdharis/

- Start Sikhi theological/spiritual foundation with mool mantar (and for sake of unity and more bani- keep it from ikongkar to nanak hosi bhi sach), explain the deep theology behind it- sargun and nirgun intertwin relationship.

http://www.sikhsanga..._10#entry544841

http://www.sikhsanga...irgun-nirankar/

- Explain concept of body, mind, soul, control of senses, which every youth can relate to. Lot of youths confuse soul with mind:

http://www.sikhsanga...ns-of-the-mind/

- In five day camp, put three day emphasis on spirituality in mixture with rehit maryada and 2 days on political activism. I think looking at sikhi camp states- correct ratio should be (65% spirituality - 35% political activism). Pure Raw anything is not good nor is easy to digest for human. Mix it just like how patsah were mixed in khanda batta da amrit..!! :D

What you guys think?

I agree with what you have written but to be honest there are not many people who can explain advanced concepts really well and especially in English. To make what you have written into a reality so each city can have this sort of parchaar we need to train people with the understanding you are pointing to.

Any practical steps we can take so this can take some sort of step forward?

Well we have real life parcharaiks like- Bhai Sukha Singh JI UK and Singh from Nirvair Jatha UK who are doing parchar in english. If they can start with above citeria, that would be start and will set the precedence for future parcharaiks..remember roman umpire wasn't built in one day...it takes time.

I will talk to bhai sahib bhai sukha singh ji when he comes here in toronto and work out a basic layout with him.

Well we have real life parcharaiks like- Bhai Sukha Singh JI UK and Singh from Nirvair Jatha UK who are doing parchar in english. If they can start with above citeria, that would be start and will set the precedence for future parcharaiks..remember roman umpire wasn't built in one day...it takes time.

I will talk to bhai sahib bhai sukha singh ji when he comes here in toronto and work out a basic layout with him.

Fair enough but their parchaar is mainly to bring people in through stories of sikhi and influence through miracles and they are doing really well in this. A lot of people don't want to hear stories but are looking for deeper meanings to life; like why are we here? , Do I have free will? Nirgun and sargun? Who am I? What is my purpose in life? They are looking through a logical perspective. We need more parchaar in this direction as well - more advanced so people who start to follow sikhi don't start feeling that there is no real proof between these stories of sikhi and their daily life.

The thing is its based on audience/sangat too. I remember clearly when i was translating gyani thakur singh ji japji sahib katha. Gyani thakur singh ji clearly mentioned and he tried to go quite in depth in katha like he did with japji sahib. Sangat clearly said to him afterwards, aa ki kaa man, chit, atma diya gala sanu ta bir ras waliya sakhiya pasand neh..!! I was flabbergasted listening to that..lol. It's just you gotta enforce it given the fact atleast if there is handful in sangat who find it intriguing and fascinating.

The thing is its based on audience/sangat too. I remember clearly when i was translating gyani thakur singh ji japji sahib katha. Gyani thakur singh ji clearly mentioned and he tried to go quite in depth in katha like he did with japji sahib. Sangat clearly said to him afterwards, aa ki kaa man, chit, atma diya gala sanu ta bir ras waliya sakhiya pasand neh..!! I was flabbergasted listening to that..lol. It's just you gotta enforce it given the fact atleast if there is handful in sangat who find it intriguing and fascinating.

But you got to remember that the youngsters these days are asking a lot more questions and are looking for some sort of proof behind what is beeing said. There will always be some who will belief what you tell them but there are also a lot of people who want some sort of proof through understanding and logic. By implementing more advanced gyan it can be the vital missing piece to encourage more people to follow sikhi.