girl using turban

Guest sikh girl europe

Guest sikh girl europe

Hello everybody :) I have a question, and I would love to get everybodys opinion.

I´m a sikh girl living in europe, I am not Amritdhari. Lately I have been wanting to start using turban, not everyday to begin with, but sometimes a week. The problem is that I am scared to offend other sikhs, because;

1. I am not Amritdhari

2. I cut my hair(got long hair, just cut the tip of the hair every 6th week) and I fix my eyebrows

3. I eat meat

4. Sometimes I wear revealing clothes, like i show my shoulders and the bottom of my legs (under the knee), swim with bikini

I do understand that I can´t wear revealing clothes when using the turban, but I don´t think I`m going to stop showing my shoulders and legs when I´m not wearing the turban. I might eat meat while wearing the turban as well, cause its just a naural part of my diet every day. However, I know alot of guys who are drinking, smoking and cutting their beard while wearing turban, so it can`t be any difference between a girl and a boy? I don`t drink, smoke or do drugs, I don`t walk around with boys doing nasty things. So I do think I am right in using turban, but I´m a little confused. Are sikhs or even God going to be offended by me wearing a turban?

Any help? :happy2:

Decide in your own head if you are wearing it for fashion or because you want to follow the Guru's path. If it is the latter, you will stop doing all the other things anyway , otherwise you cannot pick and choose which rules you like

Dont people get offended by how boys disrespect their turbans? I mean, it is completely okay for boys to wear turban without complete commitment to sikhi, but not for girls? Where are the equal rights in this matter? I mean, the majority of boys (kids) wearing turbans in Punjab are not completely commited to sikhi, but people don´t get offended by that? thats totaly wrong. Why can´t a girl wear turban from she is a child, when a boy can? Many boys cut their beard while wearing a turban, it is the same as a woman fixing her eyebrows. And at last, I would say that sikhs don´t have a "copyright" on turbans. People should just stop caring about what others think, if you want to wear a turban; wear it; as long as you dont disrespect it; which i mean that you would not do!

I'd say start teaching yourself about how to behave when you are wearing it before you start wearing it. Once you are ready then wear it but don't make any comparisons to other people and how they behave. Keep in your mind that you have to behave better than them.

WJKK WJKF

Question: would you walk into an exam with your notes in your back ocket or wrriten on your hand.. thinking you have officially passed?

Question: would you go bundgy jumping wihtout the right equpiment so that when you do jump off instead of floating you crash to your death?

answer? NO

So the same goes into wearing a dumala... you do not contradict yourself... your wear a dastaar and as not2cooltoargue said it symbolises commitment... if you know you are not doing it properly why carry on.

Fateh

and as for those boys, excuse my french they can offically have there B.A.L.LS ripped off by someone, i dont know who :)

Guest sikh girl europe

Thanks for the replies. I will definetely think about what you guys have said, however I will also talk to some of the leaders at my local Gurdwara, and see what their opinions are before making a final decision. But in the end it will be between me and God. And you can't please everybody, you just have to do what you feel is right, someone will be offended anyways. Turban is for me also a symbol equality between boys and girls. If a boy can wear it without full commitment then I believe that a girl could wear it too. The society(all socities) will always make stricter rules for girls, even tho it's not a part of the religion or the laws. And I do feel that some people might be a little conservative, so I will talk about it with some younger people as well...

Anyways thanks for the replies :)

:khalsa:

Guest sikh girl europe

and I forgot to write, I do behave good. I would not wear short clothes while wearing it or just do other bad stuff. I would respect the turban, and I actually think that I am a good sikh, and a good person. I honestly do think that people would get a good impression of sikhism when they see me wearing it :)

Every religion has 2 ways of practising. There is convienet way. Example: You see men who wear turbans and trimmed beard or so forth. Then there is the other way of practising GurSikhi. What example either by words or practicial way Any Guru Jee lived. A sant, Gursikhi person or anyone in this world who is close to Guru Jee, cannot properly guide you. I suggest look at yourself in the mirror, which ever way you think you look good. When your are looking at the mirror you will ask yourself is this the right thing for me to do or not. Wehaguru is inside of us, we just need time to think and be alone. You and the your image with Guru Jee's grace will answer your question. Sikhi is not a religion for if you do this you will go to hell. Sikhi is getting guidance from Guru Jee. These humans are not all that perfect either. I don't consider myself to be perfect. I personaly can not remember what is the translation of any shabad but my mind is constantly singing Gurbani. wheather I am sleeping or awake or even driving a car.