girl using turban

Guest sikh girl europe

VJKK VJKF

I don't understand why you want to where a turban and still do those other things?

Are your parents forcing you or something or are you wanting to get back into a sikhi, which is a good thing.

If you want to get back into sikhi, then tie the turban, but it is unacceptable to wear turban while eating meat, etc.

VJKK VJKF

LOL op u mak me laff. u r perfect example of westernized white washed punjabi girl... any ways enough of this liberal womens rights crap women have certain roles in sikhism and men also have certain roles yea man and women r equal but obviously the man is stronger than the women in certain ways and vice versa and u say u wear revealing clothes u think ppl respect that? do u drink aswell?

LOL op u mak me laff. u r perfect example of westernized white washed punjabi girl... any ways enough of this liberal womens rights crap women have certain roles in sikhism and men also have certain roles yea man and women r equal but obviously the man is stronger than the women in certain ways and vice versa and u say u wear revealing clothes u think ppl respect that? do u drink aswell?

'Enough of this womnen's rights crap'? What pind were you dragged from pahji? Sikhi talks about equality. Yes some things like child birth are gender specifuc but otherwise women should have EVERY right a man does, have you not been inspired by the Women of Sikhi or something? The women who put down their tava and went to fight with Guru Gobind Singh Ji because their husbands didnt feel up to the task. Or maybe Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj wasnt loud enough for your ears when he spoke of his high regard for women...who gave birth to all Sikhs. Please have more respect for the Singhnis and dont say 'women's rights crap...because they deserve every right! We talk the talk but seldom walk the walk. More Singhnis should be playing prominent roles in Gurdwara, how many do you see elading congregations, or doing kirtan? Once this equality is reached then yes you can question what you want.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Dont people get offended by how boys disrespect their turbans? I mean, it is completely okay for boys to wear turban without complete commitment to sikhi, but not for girls? Where are the equal rights in this matter? I mean, the majority of boys (kids) wearing turbans in Punjab are not completely commited to sikhi, but people don´t get offended by that? thats totaly wrong. Why can´t a girl wear turban from she is a child, when a boy can? Many boys cut their beard while wearing a turban, it is the same as a woman fixing her eyebrows. And at last, I would say that sikhs don´t have a "copyright" on turbans. People should just stop caring about what others think, if you want to wear a turban; wear it; as long as you dont disrespect it; which i mean that you would not do!

You are so righ! It is more than offensive to see boys insulting their turbans, it is abohorrent! Majority of kids in Punjab may not be meat eater, alocohol drinkers and sleep arounders! Girls should wear turbans from childhood as this will get their moral values and norms in perpespective. The boys that wear a turban and cut their beards off should really rot in hell. You are so right again about turban 'copyrights' but let me point out to you a sikh turban is a mark of identity with the faith and not fashion.

Yes wear it but don't disrespect it.

I think we should encourage sikh girls to wear a turban from a young age. Sikh girls grow up watching their younger or older brothers wearing a turban thinking it is only meant for boys and not for girls. Our parents are suppose to teach us the sikh values from the very start of our young lives regardless of which gender we belong to because this helps us to put our lives into perspective as we grow older.

What is the point in telling our children they are sikhs when we don't even teach them what it means to be one? Our parents don't teach us the underlying message contained in the teachings? Why should the teachings of all our Gurus be passed on differently to different genders? We are suppose to receive them equally aren't we? Why are our parents not teaching us the values, norms and customs that are entrenched within the these teachings.

Sikh Gurus banned koori mar, jaat paat, earning your livelihood through dishonest means. They also banned use of tobacco and alcohol. They also said that a sikh should only marry a sikh and so on. So why are parents not teaching their children the reasoning behind these teachings?

Rather than becoming too smug because they have too much money now and are free of Punjab and the inujustices of the Indian government they should take their parental responsibilities extremely seriously. The policy of the Indian government to destroy sikhism by dislocating or displacing the sikh populations and demoralizing them in a manner which is so cruel and vindictive is succeeding as I type. This should not discourage the sikhs abroad from keeping sikhism alive for their future generations. In fact this should force them to become even more vigilant and determined. They need to do this because they owe it to their future pirri. Why are they losing their children to muslims by allowing them to marry them? Is this why our Gurus sacrificed their lives and families for us? Was it ever their wish for us or our children to convert to muslim religion? NEVER! So why are our children converting to the most hated and destructive religion in the world? Have the sikhs forgotton their sikh history so soon?

I totally abhor those idiots that wear a dastar, a karra and trim their beards. May they burn in hell. In fact they do look exactly like sullah men with turbans when you inspect or study them closely! If they are not then I suggest that they should be tied up like a bundle of sticks and thrown at the doorsteps of a mosque for kalamas! We should really concentrate on the genuine ones that hope to follow the path someday genuinely! We should openly commend and honour the champions of the sikh faith. These champions should be extoled to such an extent that they bcome role models for our children.

No one should be allowed to disrespect sikhi and its teachings. We are each responsible for our behavior and how it is construed by others. If our conduct with a dastar on is not decent than we should hold ourselves responsible. The way we conduct ourselves as sikhs or not tells a lot about ourselves to others. The sikh dastaar and bad conduct does not mix and should be avoided at all times for it can be very harmful. It affects the whole sikh panth/ community/Family all over the world.

and I forgot to write, I do behave good. I would not wear short clothes while wearing it or just do other bad stuff. I would respect the turban, and I actually think that I am a good sikh, and a good person. I honestly do think that people would get a good impression of sikhism when they see me wearing it :)

Are you doing this for the image ? I mean I love looking in the mirror and seeing my dastaar but at the same time I know that Guru Gobind SIngh ji blessed me with it as I was willing to follow his commands.

I do not eat meat or drink or bring questions against Guru ji's roop by any faults in my dress or behaviour as I am amritdhari. You need to stop trimming your hair and doing your eyebrows for at least 4 weeks as a start towards being sabat 'whole' in your roop. Then start distancing yourself from eating meat and increasing your banis see how that makes you feel ...if you feel better/ capable of handling that then try wearing your dastaar. Clothing is an external non-verbal cue as to how people should treat you if you are wearing what aaam western girls are wearing in terms of skirts and shoulderless tops peeps are not going to take either you or Gurroop seriously and I'm sure you don't want that.

The Boys who mix and match deserve a karari chuperd I mean both ears pierced , trimmed stubble and then dastaar on top while you're ogling girls or drinking ...you are dragging your father's name through the mud ...sharam ohna nu ohni chahidi ha. Don't try to measure against others , think of what Guru ji would wish for you.

Hello everybody :) I have a question, and I would love to get everybodys opinion.

I´m a sikh girl living in europe, I am not Amritdhari. Lately I have been wanting to start using turban, not everyday to begin with, but sometimes a week. The problem is that I am scared to offend other sikhs, because;

1. I am not Amritdhari

2. I cut my hair(got long hair, just cut the tip of the hair every 6th week) and I fix my eyebrows

3. I eat meat

4. Sometimes I wear revealing clothes, like i show my shoulders and the bottom of my legs (under the knee), swim with bikini

I do understand that I can´t wear revealing clothes when using the turban, but I don´t think I`m going to stop showing my shoulders and legs when I´m not wearing the turban. I might eat meat while wearing the turban as well, cause its just a naural part of my diet every day. However, I know alot of guys who are drinking, smoking and cutting their beard while wearing turban, so it can`t be any difference between a girl and a boy? I don`t drink, smoke or do drugs, I don`t walk around with boys doing nasty things. So I do think I am right in using turban, but I´m a little confused. Are sikhs or even God going to be offended by me wearing a turban?

You claim you are a sikh girl but do you know what it means to be a sikh whether you live in Europe or some pind in Punjab in India?

You are not a sikh girl but totally and altogether an ignorant and confused girl!

A sikh girl or boy does not have to be an amritdhari to behave decently first of all. Decent behaviour is mandatory upon all sikh girls and boys, all grown men and women amritdhari or not!!!

You claim you are a sikh. Tell the sangat here when did any of the Sikh Gurus tell their followers to cut their hair? Which Guru was it, we would all like to know.

Again which Sikh Guru and when did they say consuming meat is fine. Go ahead and devour it?

Which Sikh Guru and when did they say partial nudity, even if it is only your shoulders and legs and strutting around in bikinies is all fine with us?

You are not a sikh girl. You are a girl who does not know who she is. You are a wannabe sikh girl and there are plenty more like you in this world. You are basically a girl who wishes she were a sikh without the responsibilities that come along with it.

Don't tell me about the boys that are doing what you intend to do as well. These boys are not sikhs, they are just like you. They are also lost and confused just like yourself. If you asked these very boys what it meant to be seen as a sikh you will find no joy in their answers! I hope you are already aware of many muslim boys impersonating sikh boys these days with karra on, a sikh name and even a khanda bandana on their heads to lure lost souls like you into their clutches. So be aware of them!

The sikh Guru Ji gave to sikh girls/boys/men/women a dastaar upon their heads. We were given this with their blessings and that is the reason a sikh dastaar is not like any other dastaar around the world. They donot have the halo of our Gurus ji's blessings upon them. When someone asks a sikh man/women about their dastaar the immediate answer is it is 'our Guru's nishaani.' A sikh dastaar is a sign of our Guru jis' BLESSINGS for which many precious lives have been sacrificed and we should feel totally indebted to these great Souls. We are the envy of the muslim world. We are the envy of the whole world! Why would any sikh girl or boy want to wear a dastar and behave the way you are planning to do is beyond me? Find out what it means to wear a sikh dastar and its SIGNIFICANCE before you even let your head touch it. God help and save us all!!

If other sikhs are doing bad things and you believe deep down in your heart that you are the daughter of the bestowers of the sikh dastar then set an example for these idiots. Tell them they look and behave more like sullahs than sikhs! THEY HAVE NO RESEMBLANCE TO OUR GURUS IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM!