girl using turban

Guest sikh girl europe

this is what i shall say. she is trying to take a step towards guru sahib, so we should be supporting her. phenji go ahead and wear a dastar. if everything comes later thats ok, but just remember that since you're a sikh, give it the proper respect. and i bet you'll look beautiful in a dastar

I totally agree.

She has every right to wear it if she feels like it. We can't have different rules for boys and different for girls. Some of the guys on here sound sexist, which is not gurmat philosophy at all.

We have to remember that you can walk into plenty of pubs and bars there in UK and find turbaned singhs drinking and smoking.

Do we tell them to take their turbans off ????

NEVER. - we just tut tut and then ignore them.

You can go to any punjabi wedding on the weekend and you will find same turbaned singhs completely p****ed on liquor, does anyone say take your phag off ???

Then why do we make an exception for a girl who wants to just try and wear it casually and hoping that it can help lead the way for her ???

I suggest she go ahead and wear it as planned and then ask the lord for strength to help her move further on the path.

Why the hell are we not encouraging some one who is 'TRYING' to come on the Guru's path ??

Too many hypocrites, that's what !!!!!

@Gurpreet bache thodi jagaah Dena :p ,beta go home tuhaadi mummy tuhaanu lab rahe honne ,lol

@gurdassingh dastar came into Sikhi with our first guru ,and with time when more people became aware they start wearing dastar ,I know that we don't worship idol and we don't know how guruji really looked like but we know what they did and wear .

Yeah anyone can wear it and I never stopped op to wear dastar ,neither can I do that but people wearing dastar and saying they are promoting Sikhism is just plain wrong , op is clearly doing it for fashion as she thinks she will look attractive .

And like gurpreet said even rajput wear turban and have Singh middle name but this doesn't make them Sikh

P.s. that link was for any visitor coming here :D

Where did the op say that she wants to wear it for fashion ?

She just wants to start by wearing it a few days in the week. She obviously feels that she belongs to sikhism and then we are just making her unwelcome.

How many paki girls do you see wearing hijabs and advertising islam ??

Isn't it better that the same paki girl then sees a sikh girl with a turban ?

It doesn't matter if she's amritdhari or not. She will still be telling and showing everyone that sikh girls can wear turban as well.

Wear it if you want, nothing against it, just dont indulge in bad things and treat your crown with respect. EQUAL is EQUAL. Same rules for Boys and Girls. And don´t mind with this meat eating thing or shaving , fixxing, if boys who trim dhari and drink eat meat etc... do this you can do as well . ( I still think, that meat is no issue in Sikhi, but people, who are too much vashnavitsiaast , are debating these obvious topics. Dastaar is a thing between you and you. Just remember to live a honest live, without hurting anyone or anything else. Please dont mind, what others says, you are representing Sikhi , while wearing a Dastaar too - and that is awesome

Mai ki kita........ te mai ki keha.............. hm :ohmy2: i m big enough to make statements....!!

Poor gurpreet Kaur beti getting bashed.Go find mummy ji!She needs you to help her make samosas ;)

see its like this.

dumala /Keski symbolises amritdhari person

while a normal pagg may or may not

so when a girl wears a dumala its always keski/dumala

do not wear a dumala or keski if you are doing some activities while wearing it , which may hurt the sentiments of other amritdhari's/non amritdhari . im not a amritdhari yet .

dastar came when krishan was attending a darbar in castle and his brother thought my brother's head is naked .

ofcourse its wore differently

personally i am offended unless you keep it clean and do not do anything suspicious .

now what if another person comes and says i wana wear 5 kakkars just for fashion as i saw on tv they caught some baba's drinking etc . what diff does it make

think about it :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Gupt Singh

First of all there is nothing wrong about what you are doing. You are going through a phase where you want to be someone that wants to travel the stairs to Gur Sikhi. I will tell about myself I have been brought up in Gur Sikhi. But When I was yourg if I was depressed I would turn to cutting my hair somewhere. I knew what I was doing is wrong. In my ears in my dreams Gurbani Kirtan is what I always heard. One day I want to be perfect Gur Sikh. So when I turned 23 years old I took Amrit. Basically what your are doing is taking one step forward and taking 2 steps backwards. One day you will take two steps forward and mayby 1/2 a step back. Finally you will move forward and be a strong Gur Sikh. I told my spouse that Guru Jee did not have a special rule for boys and girls. As per Punjabi tradition Boys wear patka distar and the girls head is always naked. The crown you are wearing even for one day a weak will make you strong to let go of other things.

Its really nice to see someone wanting to tie a dastaar and being proud of it. :smile2:

But I must point out that I have never seen a boy with DUMMALLA (gol pagg) with a trimmed bread or drinking or eating meat.

To be honest the other type of turbans are tied by other people too from other religions.

Also if boys are getting it wrong, doesn't mean and are dumb enough to follow ! :lol:

I mean so far girls with a turban on have been setting the real sikhi example by actually remaining in the rehat and I think we should continue doing that.

You should only tie a turban if your ready to take responsibility because remember once you take on sikhi saroop you do not only represent yourself but the whole Sikh community!

Just to make it clear i'm not saying you can't tie a turban but I am conditioning it that if you do want to te a turban you have to follow the sikhi rules and regulations.

Someone's probably going to say that "boys don't follow the rules, this is not fair" but may I humbly point out that boys in other religions can tie turbans too but its only in Sikhism where females also have the opportunity. So we should cherish it and take care of the gift given to us :smile2:

Bhul chuk maaf