Sikh women wearing clothing in the Gudwara

Guest H

walking backwards after doing Matha tekh, so you don't show your back to Guru Granth Sahib. They used to scold people for turning their back. That is until someone walking backwards, tripped over someone else foot and fell flat on their rear end. It was pretty funny.

LOL!

Lol

Guest Practice

God doesn't care what you wear- gurbani says that God is met easily through love- not rituals and outer garb. The 5 k's are for discipline- not to boost someone's ego and to make them look down in others who may have a pure heart.

Sadly many now don the 5 k's but fail to kill the vice that has keeps the world stuck in insanity- Ego.

@ topic

wearing improper dresses (evoking kaam) to Gurudwara is not right, it attracts the attention of sangat (both men n women), even the person doing katha keertan gets distracted.

Not everyone sitting in the Gurdwara has higher spiritual level and control over "panj chor".

Old ladies will start talking, others will keep staring at them. It distrupts the whole atmosphere. Parents, specially mothers are responsible to get their daughters learn the difference between Gurudwara and other places and how to dress up sensibly. And men and women both have their individual code of conduct of decent wearing, should not compare the dressing sense with each other.

In old days, when a woman used to have bear head (nanga sir, without duppata), she was considered as a widow.

I understand if someone's undergarments are on display how that could be perceived as disrespect, however people on here are talking about things like bare arms which is ridiculous.

If a man cannot control himself at the sight of a woman, even if she is naked-least a girl with bare arms (wow what a distraction! Lol) that is his own problem. Sikhi is about self control. If a woman is distracted by a girl wearing a sleeveless top or a decent skirt- that is also her own issue. The woman chooses to wear a suit- just as she chooses to wear a cultural used suit, so does the western girl choose to embrace her culture. There is absolutely no difference. A westernised girl may feel outrage at an Indian woman not embracing the western culture.

I know Indian woman who treat their daughters and daughter in laws like <banned word filter activated> and the sons like kings. I know Indian women who make up dirty rhymes at weddings- when do I ever complain? I know Indian women who talk about nasty crap, then call virgin girls tarts and tell then off for wearing their hair loose and wearing makeup even if the girl is a gem.

We are not fanatical Muslims- we are tolerant- we live and let live.

I hope you have never worn a t shirt that may potentially lead you to have bare arms, maybe bare neck maybe it doesnt fit properly and your backsides on show!

Now i am no one to criticise Bhagat Jaswant singh but people you have maharaj in front of you stop relying on other people to tell you what maharaj is telling you himself!!!

Look at the way some of our gurus dressed http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/63504-guru-gobind-singh-jis-attire/

I agree with the original post there needs to be some modesty going on but wth no wonder so many sikh born brothers and sisters are being exploited or convert by other religions...some amritdhari people need to get off their "oh I'm so saintly and refer to myself in 3rd person" pedestal and establish a relationship with the wider sikh community rather than being self absorbed in their own little cult and once they establish this relationship they can suggest and teach them what's appropriate in the gurdwara

Seems to be some amritdhari bashing going on in some posts, its always the same when people dont like the truth all of a sudden you are a hypocrite, showing off, think you are better than the rest blah blah blah!!, but soon as you make a mistake then those same people are tut tut tut amritdhari and did that/what, should be setting an example blah blah blah!!

But what is wrong is wrong irrespective of whether you are amritdhari or not, you will still be looked /judged by the almighty in the same way for your wrong doings, so if you are not amritdhari dont think oh its ok for me, but not for an amritdhari because then you are a fool !!

A wrong person is just and only that wrong.

Guest Guest

amritdharis and in particular a cult of sikhism that is rife within UK need to take responsibility for marginalizing wider sikh community and classing them as non sikhs, if these sikh born brothers and sisters are not accepted in their own community as sikhs then they look else where...