Sikh women wearing clothing in the Gudwara

Guest H

• 2 weeks later...

This is mostly a problem in the uk i bet but its happening in canada to. the problem is tht alot of these girls r just sikhs by name and only go to the gurdwara during weddings trustt me i know these types they cnt even speak punjabi properly and they drink (most of them) their problem is tht there trying to hard to be like white people the worst part is tht there parents either dont care or r to stupid to do anything about it. These r the same type of ppl tht have no problem in allowing there dauhters to marry outside of our religion with goreh hindu n kaleh.

I think this is more of a London issue, I don't live there but was at the gurudwara a couple of times recently and have to say was surprised at the clothing, Although there were skirts worn these at least were long and not immodest - it was the tight trousers that were not leaving anything to the imagination. I think the committees need to step in, just as there are notices asking to switch off mobile phones, they should remind people to dress modestly out of respect for Guruji and the sangat. We ask non-Sikhs to do so before visiting the gurudwara, the same should go for ourselves.

I think this is more of a London issue, I don't live there but was at the gurudwara a couple of times recently and have to say was surprised at the clothing, Although there were skirts worn these at least were long and not immodest - it was the tight trousers that were not leaving anything to the imagination. I think the committees need to step in, just as there are notices asking to switch off mobile phones, they should remind people to dress modestly out of respect for Guruji and the sangat. We ask non-Sikhs to do so before visiting the gurudwara, the same should go for ourselves.

you just hit the nail on the head... I m from london ..and its really being happened over here what you said but Gurudwara committies are busy in making Pounds....Even my close Sikh friend,,she says to her mum,,She would not go to Gurudwara because wearing jean is time taking rather than wearing shorts..Lmao..:D

I've been to a funeral where a woman was wearing skin tight leggings. What a joke!

I really think the vast majority of Sikhs have no idea of what Sikhism is.

I worked with one 'Sikh' who said he didn't believe in god and just took his sons there for langar. He even made a derogatory comment about matha thek, and referred to it as 'mutton tikka '

I've also worked with a couple of people who said that once an amritdhari takes out his kirpan that it must draw blood, it has a taste of blood.

And these were people working in IT for investment banks, so not your average unpads.

All 3 were heavy drinkers needless to say.

I sometimes think that Punjab didn't deserve Sikhism. I can imagine in South India they would have respected it more.

I've been to a funeral where a woman was wearing skin tight leggings. What a joke!

I really think the vast majority of Sikhs have no idea of what Sikhism is.

I worked with one 'Sikh' who said he didn't believe in god and just took his sons there for langar. He even made a derogatory comment about matha thek, and referred to it as 'mutton tikka '

I've also worked with a couple of people who said that once an amritdhari takes out his kirpan that it must draw blood, it has a taste of blood.

And these were people working in IT for investment banks, so not your average unpads.

All 3 were heavy drinkers needless to say.

I sometimes think that Punjab didn't deserve Sikhism. I can imagine in South India they would have respected it more.

I think Sikhi would've been appreciated and, dare I say, thrived a lot more had it been in the hands of people who weren't so intrinsically linked to a culture which is, at times, at complete odds with the religion. Even the religious amongst us display traits that are associated with the negatives aspects of our culture (excessive pursuit of paise even by so-called pious figures as one example); the non-religious don't know what's going on most of the time, haha.

I think Sikhi would've been appreciated and, dare I say, thrived a lot more had it been in the hands of people who weren't so intrinsically linked to a culture which is, at times, at complete odds with the religion. Even the religious amongst us display traits that are associated with the negatives aspects of our culture (excessive pursuit of paise even by so-called pious figures as one example); the non-religious don't know what's going on most of the time, haha.

Well your welcome to adopt a culture of your choice if it upsets you so much being Punjabi.

To be fair Gujaratis also pursue money but they still respect their religion more I think.

Punjabi culture really is heavy on nasha.

When I went out clubbing in my younger days, the vast majority of fights were caused by drunk aggressive Punjabis, people who would call themselves Sikhs.

The Hindu Punjabis were not like this.

There is something really wrong in this 'Sikh' culture.