dumalla = 'badman'?

canadagoose

Well I live in the UK and there are A LOT of Sikhs around here and stuff something has been bugging me as in my school there are lots of Sikh kids wearing dummalle, they just wear it for the name 'badman' why are so many people just putting on a dastaar so they can be 'cool' and be a 'don' ? Some are even amritdharis and they swear, talk about others, gossip, no manners and stuff. Lots of them are even dating and then they act so religeous in their facebook photos and keep talking about AKJ they only like AKJ because they think its all about bashing tablas. I have no idea why they even took amrit because they dont give a flying fish about Sikhi. Does this only happen in London?? Its so annoying and makes me angry..

bul chuk maaf.

Yes, this is a big problem in kids, mainly who are born here( not all but most of them). It really hurts when i see amritdhari kids abusing( even in Gurudwaras) as if its so cool and that too when they study in Khalsa school. Im not sure but i think its because their parents dont raise them in a proper gurmat way. I have seen many of them become amritdhari just becoz their friends are but they do not follow rehat. Their parents say that they are just kids and they need not to follow rehat strictly. And theres a recent trend i ve seen that small kids are allowed to wear elastic kachera and not the one with nala coz their parents say it difficult for them to tie nala. Even they say that its nothing wrong to wear hats, i ve seen many of them wearing it on haloween and did other stupid makeups.They look down on the Singhs from India or those who stay simple as if they are the pendu Gavaars and they themselves are the mordern day sikhs. I think this modernization is going to hurt us someday. As our santheya teachers says that" ajj kal sikh zyada modern ho gaye aa, juraaban(socks) samet hi guru darbaar ch chale jaande aa, dekhiyo kite zyada tarakki na kar jaayeo, kal nu kite joreyan ( shoe) samet hi na jaan lagg jayo). Even tying dumaalle has become a fashion, one who do not wear a dummala is not considered as chardikala wala, Singhnis wear revealing clothes and go to parties which a matter of concern. and they come to gurudwara on a particular day when there is simran or AKJ samagam as if Guru ji is not present on any other day. This is not the case with everyone, but most of them

I agree, over the last few years there seem to be an influx of "rude boys and rude girls" coming into the fold.

It might be schools and colleges now, these kids with wrong attitudes have a misconception that you can mess around and then capitalise on the GurSikh image.

Its our fault, we pushed these kids to take Amrit at camps by fastrack parchar and then don't support or do anything to sustain a Gurmat lifestyle for them.

I agree, over the last few years there seem to be an influx of "rude boys and rude girls" coming into the fold.

It might be schools and colleges now, these kids with wrong attitudes have a misconception that you can mess around and then capitalise on the GurSikh image.

Its our fault, we pushed these kids to take Amrit at camps by fastrack parchar and then don't support or do anything to sustain a Gurmat lifestyle for them.

A wonderful turn of phrase "fast-track parchaar". That's what it does appear at times. Again it feeds into an issue that was discussed in another thread where people - youngsters mostly - are led to believe that Amrit is a magic elixir that fixes all ills and defects and requires no conscious effort on the part of the Amrit-taker to work on themselves and progress in their Sikhi once Amrit has been taken.

Chalo, I suppose those espousing quantity of Gursikh over quality will have their wish soon enough. Funnily enough those same people will be the first to protest about the bare beadbi and warping of Gursikh ideals that will occur when the "rise of the unGursikh" comes about.