Shastarvidiya - In West Midlands ?

Hammertime007

This is unknown at the moment in an official capacity but we do know that they have been active in promoting Nidar at most of their events and also propagating the same Sanatan Hindu-Sikh ideology.

Many people who went to the exhibition GT1588 - had similar concerns like mani singh quoted below

I personally did attend the exhibition and yes there was some very interesting artifacts there. The people undertaking the guided tours were very professional and articulate. It is just a shame that they were promoting sanatamism. The guide, many times made comparisons between hindus and sikhs i.e. a sikh can be there is no difference between someone keeping their hair and those that chose not to...

I was just ashamed that anti-sikh practices were being promoted is such a professional manner, something which is totally alien to the majority of sikh camps, lectures, literature or like minded events. (Mani Singh)

gt1588_nidarscheley.jpg

I am finding the Hindu Sikhs and Sanatan Groups quite confused.

Most of these groups say they stand by Guru Gobind Singh Ji however they have close links with Namdharis who went against Guru Sahibs wishes and installed a living Guru.Their Facebook has not mentioned anything about the Sikh Genocide that all other Sikh sites have over the last few months,but carried the news of the Namdhari 'Satguru' and Ravi Shankar.

They also claim they are anti British but support the pro British Mahants that carried out the massacre of the Gurdwara Lehar/Singh Sabha Sikhs .They claim the Mahants followed the true Sikhi and the Singh Sabha were wrong. They fail to mention that these Mahants were corrupt and installed idols and other Brahmin practices in Gurdwaras.

the term "exhibition art" is misleading. It is swordplay, of sorts. I mean you can kill someone with it, so it must be more than just exhibition art.

but it cant be compared with shastarvidiya.

Agree Gatka does possess although at a very basic level aspects of rudimentary footwork may be useful to very young children as an introduction to holding a weapon and footwork. Which is fine I don't have any issues with that.

It may be useful against a totally unskilled individual with no martial knowledge but it certainly wasn't used in warfare, can you imagine what have happened if you tried to dance around with a stick and cloth cartwheel against the armies of Ahmed shah abdali ?? His soldiers were some of the finest swordsmen in Persia..They weren't clowns...

Well said isingh

Agree Gatka does possess although at a very basic level aspects of rudimentary footwork may be useful to very young children as an introduction to holding a weapon and footwork. Which is fine I don't have any issues with that.

It may be useful against a totally unskilled individual with no martial knowledge but it certainly wasn't used in warfare, can you imagine what have happened if you tried to dance around with a stick and cloth cartwheel against the armies of Ahmed shah abdali ?? His soldiers were some of the finest swordsmen in Persia..They weren't clowns...

No they weren't. We are the clowns to follow nangs and giddars. This many is not the real shastar vidiya. His techniques only work if you cooperate and let him do what he wants to demonstrate. In reality all his students and him would get their paghs knocked off in a street fight and then get all Singhs in trouble by pulling out their Kirpans and karas in fair 1-1 bare knuckle fight against unarmed opponent. Is that wot u call effective?

Real nihang Singh have the real art of shastar vidiya.Singhs like baba Giana singh nihang or baba pritam Singh nihang have the real art.There are many in hazoor sahib but they won't just give it out like how niddar is doing.

Real nihang Singh have the real art of shastar vidiya.Singhs like baba Giana singh nihang or baba pritam Singh nihang have the real art.There are many in hazoor sahib but they won't just give it out like how niddar is doing.

This is not a anything to be proud off or a good thing...If they have the art from they should share it, put it this way in todays day and age there is no need to keep things like this gupt. Back in the day it was important not to let outsiders know about your art of war or combat systems as they could use such things to their advantage. But now the battlefield is that of artillery, guns, drone attacks air strikes.

However on a historical and traditional level it's criminal to let such a part of our history die out. Just as we have lost Raag Vidiya and placed a ferenghi instrument like the vaaja (euroopean harmonium) at the heart of Kirtan,...We now have the majority of SIkhs believing junmpuing around with a stick and doing syncronished bhangra and giddah is our traditional martial art,...i.e: Gatka.... Franky it's quite insulting and degrading to such skilled warriors and personalities we have in our history like Akali Phula Singh, Sukha Singh Bhujanigi, Mehtab Singh etc etc...to suggest that such recognised and celebrated warriors were exponents of exhibition gatka.

There is nothing to be gained by keeping such things gupt...it's actually a great disservice to the panth in general...

This is not a anything to be proud off or a good thing...If they have the art from they should share it, put it this way in todays day and age there is no need to keep things like this gupt. Back in the day it was important not to let outsiders know about your art of war or combat systems as they could use such things to their advantage. But now the battlefield is that of artillery, guns, drone attacks air strikes.

However on a historical and traditional level it's criminal to let such a part of our history die out. Just as we have lost Raag Vidiya and placed a ferenghi instrument like the vaaja (euroopean harmonium) at the heart of Kirtan,...We now have the majority of SIkhs believing junmpuing around with a stick and doing syncronished bhangra and giddah is our traditional martial art,...i.e: Gatka.... Franky it's quite insulting and degrading to such skilled warriors and personalities we have in our history like Akali Phula Singh, Sukha Singh Bhujanigi, Mehtab Singh etc etc...to suggest that such recognised and celebrated warriors were exponents of exhibition gatka.

There is nothing to be gained by keeping such things gupt...it's actually a great disservice to the panth in general...

Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale did gatka, not niddar's shaster vidiya. IS your gurdev Niddar singh Nang a greater warrior than Sant Jarnail Ji?. After all this giddar does claim to be the 'last sikh warrior'. I wonder what he was doing whilst Sant Ji and singhs were giving shaheedi in 1984.

this is really interesting - MARTIAL ARTS CULTS by Matt Thornton

[Media]

Surprised this video hasn't got any attention.

It's the pure truth and niddar is a classic case of what Matt is talking about in his video. Niddar exposed by a gora lol

I wonder if the British or GOI is supporting niddar to turn our shastar vidiya into some limited mumbo jumbo. Shastar vidiya is merely the knowledge of weapons and we don't need no drunk pot belly "master" to learn how to use weapons.

Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale did gatka, not niddar's shaster vidiya. IS your gurdev Niddar singh Nang a greater warrior than Sant Jarnail Ji?. After all this giddar does claim to be the 'last sikh warrior'. I wonder what he was doing whilst Sant Ji and singhs were giving shaheedi in 1984.

What did Sant Gurbachan Singh Bhindranewale write about exhibition arts such as Gatka ? I suggest you go and read Gurbani Paat Darpan, page 37-38....

Gurbani Paat Darpan, page 37-38.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

ਵਿਦਿੱਆ ਦੋ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰ ਦੀ ਹੁੰਦੀ ਹੈ ।

There are two forms of 'Vidiya' [science]

(੧) ਇਕ ਤਾਂ ਜਿਹੜੇ ਪਟੇ ਬਾਜ ਹੁੰਦੇ ਹਨ, ੳਹ ਦਿਖਾਵੇ ਦੀ ਵਿੱਦਿਆ ਪੜ੍ਹਦੇ ਹਨ, ਸਾਰਿਆਂ ਨੂੰ ਆਪਣਾ ਕਰਤੱਬ ਦਿਖਾਉਣਾ, ਕਿਸੇ ਦੇ ਮੂੰਹ 'ਤੇ, ਛਾਤੀ, ਪੱਟ ਆਦਿਕ ਤੇ ਆਲੂ ਰੱਖ ਕੇ ਅਤੇ ਅੱਖਾ ਆਪਣੀਆਂ ਬੰਨ੍ਹ ਕੇ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੀ ਖੂਬੀ ਇਹੋ ਹੀ ਹੁੰਦੀ ਹੈ, ਜਿਹੜੀ ਚੀਜ ਉਪਰ ਪਈ ਹੁੰਦੀ ਹੈ, ਆਲੂ ਪਿਆ ਹੈ ਜਾਂ ਗਾਜਰ, ਜਾਂ ਮੂਲੀ ਪਈ ਹੈ, ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਕੱਟ ਦਿੰਦੇ ਹਨ ਰੋਮ ਨੂੰ ਛੇਦਨ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰਦੇ ਹਨ । ਇਸ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰ ੳਹ ਕਰਤੱਬ ਦਿਖਾ ਕੇ ਹੁਨਰ ਕਰਕੇ ਲੋਕਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਖੁਸ਼ ਕਰਕੇ, ਆਪ ਦਾ ਪੇਟ ਤੋਰਦੇ ਹਨ, ਇਹ ਤਾਂ ਪਟੇ ਬਾਜ ਦੀ ਵਿੱਦਿਆ ਹੈ ।

The first is called Pate Baaz [swinging a stick], that form is done for show, and to display their performance, placing potatos on someones face, chest, back etc and covering their eyes, that is their skills. Whatever is placed on top [of someone], whether it is potatos, carrots, or radish, they cut that without cutting that person. This form [of vidiya] is done to show their own performance and accomplishment in order to make the viewers happy and to fill their own belly's [acquiring money for it], this is the 'vidiya' [science/learning] of Pate Baaz [one who just spins a stick, i.e. Gatka Baaj].

ਏਸੇ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰ ਜਿਹੜੇ ਪੰਡਤ ਵਿਦਵਾਨ ਬਣ ਕੇ ਲੋਕਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਕਥਾ ਸੁਣਾ ਕੇ ਲੋਕਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਪ੍ਰਚਾਰ ਕਰਕੇ ਆਪਣਾ ਜਸ ਪਾਉਂਦੇ ਹਨ, ਆਪ ੳਹ ਧਾਰਨ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰ ਸਕਦੇ ਹਨ, ਵਡਿਆਈ ਪਾਉਂਦੇ ਹਨ, ਪਦਾਰਥ ਪਾਉਂਦੇ ਹਨ ਪਰ ਆਪ ਧਾਰਨ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰਦੇ, ਲੋਕਾਂ ਵਾਸਤੇ ੳਹ ਗਿਆਨ ਦੀਆਂ ਗੱਲਾ ਸੁਣਾਉਂਦੇ ਹਨ । ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੀ ਪਟੇ ਬਾਜਾਂ ਵਾਲੀ ਵਿੱਦਿਆ ਹੈ ।

[similar to this] form is a one who becomes a Pandit scholar who performs discourse as preaching to get people to praise him, yet he himself cannot enshrine [what he preaches], he gets them to praise them, and gets material wealth, but he himself cannot attain what he preaches, and still for people preaches sermons of wisdom. That type of vidiya [science/learning] is like that of the Pate Baaj [one who just spins a stick, i.e. Gatka Baaj].

(੨) ਦੂਸਰੀ ਸੂਰਮਿਆਂ ਦੀ ਵਿੱਦਿਆ ਹੈ, ਸੂਰਮਾ ਬਹਾਦਰ ਜੋ ਹੈ ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰ ਪਹਿਨ ਕੇ ਜੰਗ ਵਿਚ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ, ਜਾਂ ਦੁਸ਼ਮਣਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਸ਼ਹੀਦ ਕਰਕੇ ਜਿੱਤ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ, ਜਾਂ ਆਪ ਜੂਝ ਕੇ ਸ਼ਹੀਦੀ ਪਾਉਂਦੇ ਹੈ ।

The second type of Vidiya [science/learning] is that of a warrior, a courageous warrior adorns weapons and goes to war, giving the enemies martyrdom and attaining victory, or getting martyrdom themselves.

ਇਸ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰ ਸੂਰਮਿਆਂ ਵਾਲੀ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਵਿੱਦਿਆ ਹੈ । ਸੂਰਮਾ ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰ ਮਾਰਦਾ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਪਟੇ ਬਾਜ ਕੇਵਲ ਦਿਖਾਵਾ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ, ਉਤਲੀ ਚੀਜ ਨੂੰ ਤੋੜਦਾ ਹੈ, ਹੇਠਾਂ ਅੰਗਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਨਹੀਂ ਲਗਣ ਦਿੰਦਾ ਅਤੇ ਸੂਰਮਾ ਅਗਿਆਨ ਦੇ ਸਾਰੇ ਅੰਗਾ ਨੂੰ ਛੇਦਨ ਕਰਕੇ ਸਰੂਪ ਸਾਖਿਆਤ ਰੂਪ ਅਨੰਦ ਨੂੰ ਪਾਉਂਦੇ ਹੈ ।

In this way the way of the warrior is like Brahm Vidiya. A warrior kills with his weapons, where as a Pate Baaj [one who just spins a stick, i.e. Gatka Baaj] merely only does a exhibition, they only break the top [item] and do not hit any limbs. A [real] warrior breaks all the limbs of ignorance and attains great bliss while living in the visible [sargun] form.

-----------------------------------------------------------------