GURU NANAK DEV JEE's Prakash Purab Date/Month

JasSinghKhalsa

Throughout my childhood and teaching whether at home/Sakhis/Gurumukh's/Gianis/KATHA's, I heard Guru Nanak Dev Jee's Prakash Utsaav comes in the month of Kathak and on Kathak Puranmaashi, but today is Maghar month Puranmaashi.

I am just confused how is the date set?

15 Days + DIWALI? Any day/date or the first Puranmaashi after DIWALI?

The setting of DIWALI date is anyway not as per SIKH norms, it is as per when Sri Raam Chandra Jee returned back to Ayodhya, so some days after Dussehra. If such a case, then setting of GURU NANAK DEV JEE's Prakash Purab date relative to DIWALI date, are we going wrong somewhere? Are we loosing our Identity/loosing our important day/dates - such as KATHAK PURANMAASHI as day of GURU NANAK DEV JEE GURUPURAB which should had been on 29th October as per Jantri published on sgpc.net website.

Some school of thoughts might say it does not matter the day we celebrate it, but it does matters.

BHUL CHUK MAAF.

such as KATHAK PURANMAASHI as day of GURU NANAK DEV JEE GURUPURAB which should had been on 29th October as per Jantri published on sgpc.net website.

It cannot have been on 29th Oct as kathak pooranmashi went about 2 weeks ago. Some celebrated yesterday and some are today. The proper day is by the solar system of when it is full moon (pooranmashi) which has passed. I am not sure of the exact day. Its a shame we have not followed this but two days of different celebrations no where near pooranmashi. The Sikh clergy is in a mess and so is the calendar. Lets see what happens with the avtar of Kalgiyawala Patshah

It cannot have been on 29th Oct as kathak pooranmashi went about 2 weeks ago. Some celebrated yesterday and some are today. The proper day is by the solar system of when it is full moon (pooranmashi) which has passed. I am not sure of the exact day. Its a shame we have not followed this but two days of different celebrations no where near pooranmashi. The Sikh clergy is in a mess and so is the calendar. Lets see what happens with the avtar of Kalgiyawala Patshah

As per Jantri published on SGPC.net, kathak Puranmaashi was on 29th Oct, that's why I said 29th Oct.

http://sgpc.net/jantri_2012-13.pdf

KATHAK.bmp

i was thinking the same, although the puratan scripts suggest Guru Nanak Dev Ji was born on Vaisakhi, not Katak, but for the last 100 years or so, it has been celebrated in Katak, but now because of this calendar, common sense and historical practice counts for nothing, as we are celebrating it in Maghar.

We need to go back to Bikrami calendar. ASAP.

i was thinking the same, although the puratan scripts suggest Guru Nanak Dev Ji was born on Vaisakhi, not Katak, but for the last 100 years or so, it has been celebrated in Katak, but now because of this calendar, common sense and historical practice counts for nothing, as we are celebrating it in Maghar.

We need to go back to Bikrami calendar. ASAP.

When I spoke to my mother today, she also told the same thing - Purantaan scripts say the date/month is April/Vaisakh.

primarily the janamsakhi excluding Bhai Bala's are all in agreement that Guru Sahib was born on 1 Vaisakh. Only Bhai Bala's differs. The other's are Bhai Mani Singh Ji's, Puratan Janamsakhi and Hafizabad Janamsakhi.

Kavi Santokh Singh tried a differing approach where he calculated events thorughout Gurus lifetime in reverse order, and he ended up with the 1 Vaisakh as Guru Sahib's birthday as well. This is written in Sri Nanak Parkash.

Bhai Mani Singh’s Janamsakhi has been interpolated. Its older manuscripts show Kattak date as per Dr. Trilochan Singh. Oldest copy of Bhai Bala Ji’s Janamsakhi of 1658 shows Kattak date. Bhai Behlo Ji’s (contemporary of Guru Arjan Dev Ji) granth, Soochak Parsang Guru Ka, also shows Kattak date. Some most accurate Gurparnalis such as the one by Gulab Singh show Kattak date as well as the correct total age. Vaisakh Nahin Kattak by Ishar Singh Nara is a good refutation to Sardar Karam Singh’s book. There has been a long discussion on this topic before. Guru Rakha