Locked Topics

kullykhalsa

Just wondering on which criteria admins are locking topics?

seems that admin will say something on the topic and then lock even when discussions are ongoing.

this site is a place for people to discuss different views and debate thats the only real way to learn

True, this is a place of learning. However, when people are not ready to learn or accept a differing viewpoint but only want to argue to prove their viewpoint as better than another's, which I am sorry to say has pretty much become a norm out here, there is no basis left for any discussion.

But then again, that is just my viewpoint :) , and I shall respectfully accept your disagreement if you choose to disagree :)

surely that means we should close the whole forum to grow as a community you have to accept differing standpoints and others opinions might come across as aimless debating but atleast it means we are followin what we believe in notjust following someones words but have actualy thought about the issue?

Look, this forum only provides a platform, it only makes space for discussions and letting your ideas out. It doesn't guarantee any conclusion, and based on the kind of nature we have, as we're sadly first Punjabis and only then Sikhs, well for the most part, the time is still far away when we will actually reach a conclusion on anything. Closing the forum is thus not a very wise solution, but just like all discussions do need a conclusion, no matter how mature or constructive they are, a pointless and baseless argument under the garb of a discussion would in fact need a faster closure.

What these online forums reflect is the ugly truth that we have a hard time coexisting. As harsh as it may sound, we can NOT coexist and that is the first thing we as a community need to accept and then rectify. Once we learn to coexist, once we learn to accept that all fingers are not the same, then we can at least create a mindset that is prerequisite to initiating any sort of discussion. Hopefully we will get there someday. Again, this forum is a mere platform to come together. We have NOT come together yet, discussion is a far-fetched goal.

Lets try to fulfill the foremost purpose of such forums, i.e. come together, accept each other even if we disagree on matters and respectfully disagree.The “respectfully disagree” element is something that is non-existent on this board, and as shocking as it may be, it reflects our mindset as a community. “My way or the highway”. I don’t need to name individuals on this board who get some sort of a weird “high” by putting down anyone who doesn’t agree with their stand on no matter what the issue seems to be.

There is a way to disagree. A sane individual doesn’t out rightly say “No you are wrong” to someone expressing their opinion, rather they say “I am not sure but…etc etc blah blah”. If one really thinks someone has spoken against the tenets of Gurmat, provide evidence and negate their words with dignity without humiliating them. I guess the kids on here skip too many classes where they teach communication skills.

So lets not always blame the admins or mods for everything, the new fashion on here. You can’t clap with one hand. If people come over here with the intention to get only those responses which makes them feel good about themselves, sorry, there will always be an opposing view, learn to live with it and respect it.

Anyways, I don’t expect anyone to bother about my rants. The best they can do is retaliate with attacks, so bring it on.

Like I was gonna lose a minute worth of sleep over it! :D

Just wondering on which criteria admins are locking topics?

seems that admin will say something on the topic and then lock even when discussions are ongoing.

this site is a place for people to discuss different views and debate thats the only real way to learn

If we're talking about the thread about Guru / Waheguru difference / sameness then I echo your feelings Kully. Normally, I restrict myself to martial / political / sociological matters because I don't have a deep enough understanding of spiritual matters. Thats why that particular thread was really quite awesome from a learning perspective. Thought provoking to such an extent that the contents led to deep discussions and contemplation between members of my family. In all honesty, that thread has tought me such important things about my faith that I never knew before but should know. Been reading it after work each day and came home just now with the same idea. Imagine my surprise then to find that the admins had locked it :wow:

For me it has arguably been the most educational thread ever in terms of the core belief of Sikhism. What on earth would motivate an Admin into closing it ?

Can someone point us to the 'Locked topic' link so that we can take a look at it and find out why it was closed. We will try to assign one volunteer on a duty to hear and solve such issues.

Lets try to fulfill the foremost purpose of such forums, i.e. come together, accept each other even if we disagree on matters and respectfully disagree.The “respectfully disagree” element is something that is non-existent on this board, and as shocking as it may be, it reflects our mindset as a community. “My way or the highway”. I don’t need to name individuals on this board who get some sort of a weird “high” by putting down anyone who doesn’t agree with their stand on no matter what the issue seems to be.

Thank for you this ^^. We also noticed this trend for the past few months (if not years). We will discuss this with other sewadars and how to bring more change to our system.

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/69437-i-dont-know-y-people-say-gurus-are-god/ link to the topic that was locked again i only ask what criteria is used because this thread didnt seem to be going off topic, and the replies were generally respectful

as for some people bringing down others on this site i agree it happens, i agree we should all learn to co-exist what i generally do no like is people pushing their views on others e.g my way or the highway, sikhi is personal to each and every individual and should be respected as so!