Mom wont let me take amrit

Guest Want to

Guest Want to

Well hi.. Im 12 years old almost 13 and I really wanna take amrit. I get up at 5:20 everyday and do japji sahib, chaupai sahib, simran/jaap and some times 5 pauris of anand sahib. My dad is all for me taking amrit but the problem is my mother. She says i am too young and she thinks it will be dangerous for me to wear a kirpan to school and thinks the school wont allow it (we live in missisauga of course they will allow it, there are lots of amritdharis at my school and my 2 best friends are both amritdhari and both keep asking when are you taking it because I have been saying that I will for a year and a half). She also doesnt want me to have a beard she thinks im stupid for wanting to not shave. She said i am too young and her dad is a chardi kala amritdhari but she said that he is against children taking amrit.

She even said that i wont have time to do my path in the morning, tie a dastaar and she said when I get older I will have to catch a train to work and I might be late because of doing nitnem?? what the heck!! She said i wont get a job either if I take amrit because I would have a beard and a turban.

I have been doing ardaas everyday for amrit and gursikhi jeevan and that my family will accept me as an amritdhari but still my mom doesnt want me to take it. I just missed an amrit sanchar a few days ago I aiming to take it on new years.

Is waheguru testing me?

Please help.

not sure if many will agree with me but I have an old school mentality to this.

Taking amrit is no joke, and should only be taken when one has proven to have 100% dedication. You see countless people that take amrit because it seems to be the cool thing to do, then 2 years later it means nothing to them.

Keep living the lifestyle you are doing now... you are so young still. In 2 years there is a high chance that you won't even be the same person you are today. I can look back 2 years and can confirm that I am a different person than I was then, and 2 years from now who knows as well?

That being said, explain to your mom her backwards logic about shaving. Perhaps have a talk with her father about it.

Prove to your parents (mom?) that you can live the lifestyle you want to. If you can honestly can keep it up for a few years (and by that I mean never missing it) then I would say consider it.

I know it sounds annoying, but you only are 12..I would wait until I graduated high school at the very least.

I took Amrit when I was in grade 4.My Sikhi continues to grow but you have to follow a really REALLY REALLY REALLY strict guidelines.If you can do them then great for you.Just prove it to your mom.

Guest Want to

She knows that I never screw up my rehit and she knows that I follow it properly and she knows that I wont ever miss amritvela without a valid reason. She wants me to be all westernized it makes me sad.

I sometimes cry

I have been always interested in sikhi. Ever since I was like 5 I used to draw the gurus and draw battles I always wanted to go to the gurudwara with my dad when I was small and I cant remember a time when I didnt want to follow sikhi.

I also consider myself mature for my age after seeing the people my age in my school.......

awww dont cry, i think u are doing gr8 at ur age, gettin up so early to do paat n simran. You are so disciplined at a young age, I'd love to have a son like u that is soo disciplined and into his faith.

You seem passionate about Sikhi, thats soo lovely. Not sure why ur mother is thinking the way she is, there are lots of Sikhs with turbans n beards that have gr8 jobs. Whatever happens in life in the hands of God, whether they are turbaned or not.

There is no need for u to cry, be strong ur doing gr8. I agree that its not easy to take Amrit with the original poster, and need to be prepared for it, but I personally feel being passionate about taking it at ur age is good, as there are many people who wished they had the chance when younger, such a gr8 age to be on the right path, rather than get diverted the wrong way, where later on u may do by mixing with wrong company.

Hope all goes well with you, dont stress about it, and hope Waheguru keeps u and ur family happy.

Some parents are taught when they are young that if you look like an amritdhari then you won't get a job.Some are also taught to hate gyanis,pattis,ragis,dhadis,etc.

Just take Amrit.I live in Ontario as well.I think the next Amrit sanchar will be in Febuary at malton gurduwara.Don't let your mother know.Just do it.Tell your dad though.He can drive you :)

Its awesome lil bro how you keep rehit, way better than me :D. If you feel you can do it, then amrit chakla. However, you still have lots of time to mature. Who knows 2 years down the road you may be a totally different person. This is a very serious, important thing, if you are 100% sure you can do it, then take amrit. I still think you should practise a bit longer, prove to your parents you can do it, and then take amrit. If Guru ji wants you to take amrit, it will happen.

And i agree with Mehtab Singh. TELL YOUR PARENTS! Don't hide such a big thing.

If you want take it....... my parent were also against it... i took it.... i know i will change with time... but i will do my level best to continuee being amritdhari.......

Previously i was doing 100 mistakes... after taking amrit i doing 2-3 there is a reduction ......... i m able to control myself.. for all the false that i use to do....

Rehet... should change with time.... in future u will be working guy.... no worries. about timings to do path.... just do it.. as u find time.... work the way u want.... live the

way you want..... but believe me taking amrit profit u in many sense... u r away frm bad deeds.. drugs.... drinks... all those things which can spoil ur life.....

So its not only... the rehet u need to maintain.... its basically the purity n exploring ur self control.....

Bus ena dhyan rakhi... Amirt chak ke je todna e te na chakki.... No Bedbi Please... Think n den move :) tc