Different Dastaar Material

Sherdil

So I have some time off for the holidays.

I want to experiment with some new fabrics for dastaars. Ones you can buy from a non-desi fabric store.

I usually wear F-74 Mal Mal, and tie a Nok style.

I like light fabric. I was wondering about jersey cloth. Would that be too light?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and helpful.

Thanks.

Whenever I ask the fabric wale if they have F-74, they always tell me that nobody wears it anymore. People nowadays wear rubia.

I have to wait for somebody to go to India, so they can bring back mal mal dastaars. I would rather just make my own, if I can find the material.

Btw, I'm not into the tiny black UK / Kenyan style. Still, respect to any brothers who tie a dastaar of some sort.

Get full voile - there are two kinds of full voile from what I know. Do not get rubia whatever you do. I have two or three rubia paghs and try not to tie them regularly.

I use full voile for nok dastar and dumalla/gol dastaar. The nok dastar is over 7 meters and gol dastar i don't remember, but both are similar (not exactly the same) full voile.

I suggest buying full voile from India (have a cousin who ties full voile to get you it).

rubee cotton tends to be a lot heavier than say mal mal (mul mul as the youth would say) but when thoroughly washed and so rid of the starch it is very comfortable.

Mal Mal is really painful.Probably didnt get all the starch out though.I like volia.

rubee cotton tends to be a lot heavier than say mal mal (mul mul as the youth would say) but when thoroughly washed and so rid of the starch it is very comfortable.

^^ It actually gets worse over time and depends. I have a 7 meter rubia and a 5.5 meter rubia. I never touch any of my 5.5 meter paghs anymore, especially the rubia.

I can tie the 7 meter rubia, but it isn't as easy, comfortable or clean as full voile.

Full voile by far is the best kapra for ghol dastar or nok dastar. It's not too soft, not too rough and is very durable kapra. The chemical washed kapra doesn't fade at all either

When I first started tying dastaar, I found mal mal to be easy to manage, so I stuck with it. I washed it thoroughly, so it didn't hurt.

Rubia was too heavy for me to tie properly.

I never tied full voile, but I know someone who wears it. I'll borrow it and see if it is a lot thicker than mal mal.

Anyone use a different fabric than rubia, full voile or mal mal? Something that is easy to obtain from just about any fabric store?

Whenever I ask the fabric wale if they have F-74, they always tell me that nobody wears it anymore. People nowadays wear rubia.

I have to wait for somebody to go to India, so they can bring back mal mal dastaars. I would rather just make my own, if I can find the material.

Btw, I'm not into the tiny black UK / Kenyan style. Still, respect to any brothers who tie a dastaar of some sort.

We stock Mal Mal (F-74) Dastars. We also have Full Voile and Rubia Dastars and ship worldwide. To see all the dastars we do, take a look at:

www.sikhistore.com/products/dastars/

Hope that helps...

We stock Mal Mal (F-74) Dastars. We also have Full Voile and Rubia Dastars and ship worldwide. To see all the dastars we do, take a look at:

www.sikhistore.com/products/dastars/

Hope that helps...

Hello ji,

I was ordering dastaars from your site.

When I go to checkout, it says quantity.

Is this in reference to the length or the number of dastaars?

I think the former, but I want to make sure before I order.